Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #3,046 of 4,142
The more the merrier here. So, after weeks with the 560, soundsgoodtome, do you really believe the 560 is a "better" hp, or did hifiman simply recreate an alternatively tuned version of an underrated single sided planar champ(he4)?

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #3,047 of 4,142
Better technically, absolutely 100%. As for better sounding, well that's subjective. Its a neutral phone with nothing standing out but it does it all very well. How the He4 is like the fun and light version of the hd800, the he560 is the more serious and in some ways better than the hd800.Whereas the Senns are picky on source and files, the he560 is more forgiving and can pair with A LOT more gear. The 560 has amazing imaging and soundstage that can put binaural recorded instruments across the room to one side hauntingly. The HE6 does this as well.

The whole pad re-do is what made this interesting. The focus-a makes the highs less in your face and imo allows you to hear deep and wide. The focus pads brings the highs up which puts the sound right next to your ear, not sure what it is but it seems like the treble cant have the same wide soundstage as the mids and bass... maybe its just the way we hear? Others reported the same.. but the sound is still wider and deeper than the he4. Trying the focus-a with the he4 unfortunately doesnt have the same effect of increasing imaging.

I'm on my phone but I'll write more when I get back to a pc.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,048 of 4,142
So my HE-4 just killed my Audinst. It had been having issues in the past where it would start heating up after being used for a while since the HE-4 was probably almost maxing it when the DR got high in some songs. Starting listening today and the poor Audinst had massive distortion and was clipping constantly. Even out of my laptop output the HE-4 sounded better. RIP Audinst. You were a good little trooper. Also out of laptop output there is some insane sibilance interesting how amplifier power has such an effect on these headphones.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,049 of 4,142
Ha, sorry man but thats funny. He-4 destroying amps, it conquers all!

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,050 of 4,142
I'm on my phone but I'll write more when I get back to a pc.

Hey thanks bud, you dont need to go into super detail or spend a bunch of time on it. I really get a sense of how they would be, and am really not interested in jumping to the 560 at this time. If i did anything, id probably hop on one of these dirt cheap he-6's that keep coming up on the F/S section. Other than that, id be looking at going a different direction all together, as in, OTL plus something really different alongside the he4. Let me know when you want those pads, baby may be here this week so wont need pads or really anything for a while.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,051 of 4,142
Is there an easy way to A/B pads without spending 5 mins swapping them out every time?  I'm listening to the Shure 1540 pads right now and I really want to do some A/B'ing to confirm if I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing.

Based on what I've read, I was expecting minimal change to the sound, but an increase in comfort.  So far, the comfort is definitely there.  But the sound seems to have changed too.  The bass seems a bit more impactful and the highs (and mids?) seem to be tamed back a bit.  

I don't know, I'm not sure I have enough time with the stock velours to really pick up on the subtle differences yet.  So I want to A/B.  I might have to do it the hard way tho... unless you guys have some tips.

EDIT - Okay, decided to just bite the bullet and swap pads and realized that it's a lot quicker the second time when you know what you're doing. 

And yes, the 1540 pads definitely increase bass at the expense of a LOT of highs.  They're very rolled off with the 1540s.  Like in some songs I could barely hear the hi-hat but when I switched back it was clear as day.  Perfect example is "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk.  The hi-hat is not particularly loud in the mix, but it's there at the upper reaches of the highs.  With the 1540's it's pretty much gone except for the open-hi-hat hits.

This lends the whole thing a much warmer tone, that works really well with some music and really bad with others.  It definitely relieves the fatiguing highs, but I think it goes a bit too far.  I listen to a wide variety of music so I can't say I am keen on a mod that makes it so situational.  

That said, I'll give them more brain burn-in time to see how I feel after more time.  

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,053 of 4,142
I wonder if removing the felt really did let the highs stay more pronounced even with the 1540 pads on my set. Thujone needs to chime in here since he had No felt+1540 and felt +1540 side by side basically. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3,054 of 4,142
You could try to a/b by not using the mount rings. Just let the pads sit centered and press the headphone to sandwich it in place.

Problem is any extra pressure on the pads towards your face really changes the sound, especially on those 1540 pads.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #3,055 of 4,142
I held the two pad up side by side in front of a white wall and the cloth in the center of the pads is a little thicker on the 1540's.  That may be contributing.  Also, the 1540's are definitely thicker, so maybe that's contributing to a more recessed highs (as well as the boomier bass).

Listening some more, I don't know if the highs are rolled off THAT much, but it's noticeable enough to change the overall sound. 

Also, someone told me the 1540's have to break in a bit.  Wonder if that will affect the sound much...

EDIT - In case I haven't made it clear tho... mmmm bass!  

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3,057 of 4,142
Since mine were sent in the mail back and fourth, theyre definitely not as squishy which is sad, but still comfy as hell! Anyone need an extra set of velours? Never using those again anyways.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3,059 of 4,142
Project ember is supposed to be just as good if not better than the lyr. Did schiit change anything for the lyr2?

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #3,060 of 4,142
Problem is any extra pressure on the pads towards your face really changes the sound, especially on those 1540 pads.

And the mounting rings create a seal, the new rings "breath" more than the old ones. This combo won't give you a realistic idea of how it all sounds.

I find the easiest thing to do is contact Hifiman and buy a bunch of mounting rings.

Food for thought...
stock velours + original rings > with new mounting rings
Nvx pads + new rings > old mounting rings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back