Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,031 of 4,142

I haven't heard the HE-4 or the Polaris, but I've used both the Mini-x and the Project Ember with the HE-400. The Mini-X is pretty formidable in the bass, but I find that the Ember has ~95% of the bass weight (tube dependent) and that the increase in openness and resolution is well worth it. They are tied for extension (excellent), and I think the Ember is a bit better in the texture department. 

I could be completely wrong here, but it looks like the Polaris and Ember have the same SS output stage? Based on the fact that the output power vs impedance graph is essentially the same for both? If so, I would expect the Polaris to have pretty similar bass performance, maybe a little cleaner than the Ember considering there's no tube. But that is all total speculation. 

Anyway, the Mini-x was fun but it had some congestion and graininess that I don't miss.

You totally nailed it, I completely agree with all of this.

Yeah, Polaris has the same output stage as Ember, basically just the SS half of the Ember hybrid. Soundsgoodtome has had both at the same time though, I think he preferred the bass from Polaris.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #3,033 of 4,142
What DACs are you guys using in your setups?
I just finished upgrading my AMB Labs Gamma1 DAC to a Gamma2 today, and I have to say that, with the Project Sunrise III, it sounds awesome. It definitely has a warmer tone than the Gamma1 did, and I think it pairs really well with the HE-4.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #3,034 of 4,142
For my digital setup, I use the Gamma1 USB (<$50 off the forums). I would definitely prefer something warmer but hey, I have moved away from digital for a variety of reasons so no point changing DAC (previously had Buffalo II balanced). 

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #3,035 of 4,142
The Oppo HA-1 is a beast pairing with the HE-4 (balanced only). This is the best I've heard it sound. I will be testing it on the McIntosh headphone amp tomorrow, and maybe a few other fun bits.

My PS Audio hits harder on sub bass than anything else I've tried, but just gets too sparkly.

I still want to know what all the hype is about on the Emo mini... er... I mean, listen to it for myself

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #3,036 of 4,142
I still want to know what all the hype is about on the Emo mini... er... I mean, listen to it for myself

Its not quality bass, thats the bad part.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #3,039 of 4,142
Yea, i gotta check that out asap i was planning on buying those nvx pads in the next week or so

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,040 of 4,142
if someone finds the nvx pads on there send my dumb arse a link please, all i can find is the hps and other accessories 

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,041 of 4,142
  if someone finds the nvx pads on there send my dumb arse a link please, all i can find is the hps and other accessories 

The angled pads are out of stock... and I couldn't get the code to work. So much for Deals Thread guys 
confused.gif

The code might be for headphones only.  I am going to try to email a supervisor I've been working with and see what is going on with this.

Edit
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m725_i1331_nvx-headphone-accessories.html

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #3,042 of 4,142
Let me know if they'll let me somehow order them with the discount now. Its not like its a lot of money but then I have an excuse for the misses. Hey, I had to jump on the deal right?

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #3,043 of 4,142
  Anyone wanting to buy the beyer pads, nows the time. 25% of at sonicelectronix SAVE25

Trying not to buy em myself...

tellin yo man Beyer Pads are good! They are soft enough that I promise they are gonna warp to your ears <3

On a negative side, I'm finding that for EDM I miss my D2k, over the HE 4, an with regards to EDM even if I EQ nicely, my Audio GD NFB10ES2 ehh doesn't have enough power to get the Volume I want with the bass adjusted EQ, 

On the side Note I popped into some of the Local Clubs last night, yea in the Club bass... totally 100% over rated, at least for the crappy clubs I wandered into.

I still need to find a nice place spinnin some quality Dub or DnB, either way I'm kinda itchin for my D2ks Bass q.q, it wasn't faster than the HE 4 in any regards, but the closed back had some nice Hit to it! 

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3,044 of 4,142
He4, has enough bass for edm. I admit, when I came off an emo mini high, I wondered what the hell happened to the bass on my he4 when I got my nfb 10se. But, I realised, the mini had bass punch and low quality bass. The audio gd, and likewise the ember that I heard, provide more than enough low end to satisfy. And quality low end. If you want more bass punch mshenay, by all means buy a mini-x, I kind of want to for some reason. But really, I doubt ill enjoy it and will probably sell the damn thing. Sometimes , really to me, the he4 can be bass heavy/bass light depending on the recording. Usually, after I had finally learned to appreciate quality, which is an ongoing process, the he-4 has more than enough bass. More than enough especially seeing as the quality of the bass given is just second to none. Love that planar bass magic. End rant.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #3,045 of 4,142
When you hear a certain frequency lean both ways depending on recording then you found a nice balance on that particular frequency. Comparing to the he560, the he4 has more impact and this could be a perception because of the way the mids are slightly U-ed but the he4 definitely has a wow-ing bass. Whereas the 560 to me felt bass light for the first 3 weeks! Then I plopped on some electronic music that had bass boost implemented in the mastering as well as bass detail and that's when the he560 shined. The polaris showed this bass detail more than the ember, which is why I kept the former. The he4 would still be in my arsenal if I hadn't met Stillhart and the fact that he had a wolfson agd which after several beers I was like, "You gotta try it man!" Then he was like "ok"

Then the next day I was like did I really just offer to loan my Hifiman?! Then I realized I hardly used the he4 with the he560, so now Stillhart is a new addition to the he4 hf family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back