Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #2,957 of 4,142
  Ok I'm probably at the wrong place for that but still... if anybody wants to get rid of its HE-4, I'm here!
Tx

I might but it could be a fair few months away 
tongue.gif
 Dying to try this HE-500 so I can decide but I just got my 2nd car so all my money needs to go into that. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #2,958 of 4,142
HE-500 vs HE-4, that's really easy to decide for me...

If you are a tonalhead, searching for a non-fatiguing and genre-versatile sound with to-die-for vocals, go with HE-500.
If you are a soundstage or airiness lover, searching for an effortlessly open sound with sharp imaging and tight bass with pleasing subbass emphasis, go with the HE-4.

If weight and comfort in general is a big problem, choose HE-4... Or HE-5LE if you want something closer to HE-500 sound with nearer-to-HE-4 level of comfort.

Both headphones are great... I appreciate both and find them both on the same level of performance. However, while I was a soundstage whore in the past, I am more of a tonalhead recently and that's why I prefer HE-500. That's really the only reason. It's not like HE-500 are better at everything.

You guys are overcomplicating things... It's really easy to decide if you know what you are searching for in a headphone.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,959 of 4,142
My problem is I've never heard a Senn, so I don't know what that "other" sound is like.  I'm used to the detailed, wide AKG.  I hear the Senn (HD650 specifically) is a lot more warm and intimate and musical.  One day I'll listen to one, I'm sure... Until then, I'm going to go with the HE-4 because it sounds to be closer to what I like in my AKG (detail, soundstage, etc).

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,960 of 4,142
I heard the hd650 with a moon audio Dragon cable and wasn't all too impressed, maybe to really hear those sing you need a full on tube amp and not the Ember (hybrid) I had at the time. Seemed like a bunch of hay-day hype carried over? I might be being harsh.. but they did hike the prices considering they use to go for $250ish new. I understand $50-$100 rise but to go up to as high as $500 new is ridiculous.

I heard if you want the cheaper headphone to experience similarities done well with big soundstage to the hd650 you need to look at the Pioneer SE-A1000 for a whopping $60. Only issue is those with a smaller noggin will have to mod the headband for a tighter fit or remain very still.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2,961 of 4,142
I heard the hd650 and wasn't all too impressed, maybe to really hear those sing you need a full on tube amp and not the Ember (hybrid) I had at the time. Seemed like a bunch of hay-day hype carried over? I might be being harsh.. but they did hike the prices considering they use to go for $250ish new..

I heard if you want the cheaper headphone to experience similarities done well with big soundstage to the hd650 you need to look at the Pioneer SE-A1000 for a whopping $60. Only issue is those with a smaller noggin will have to mod the headband for a tighter fit or remain very still.

I personally like HD600 better than HD650... But in the end, I don't like either that much (the same applies to DT880, Q701 and other basic mid-fi stuff). The cheapest full-size headphones that do it for me (even after owning several high-end headphones) are HE-4 and K712 Pro => those two are capable to deliver full enjoyment from music for me while being very affordable.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,962 of 4,142
I personally like HD600 better than HD650... But in the end, I don't like either that much (the same applies to DT880, Q701 and other basic mid-fi stuff). The cheapest full-size headphones that do it for me (even after owning several high-end headphones) are HE-4 and K712 Pro => those two are capable to deliver full enjoyment from music for me while being very affordable.

I really dig my hd580(modded so basically hd600). The hd650 is a bit more laid back and forgiving while a lot of people used to consider the hd600 closer for reference. Ether way, I find both cans sound pretty poor until paired synergistically. My hd580 sings with the Oppo HA-1 amp.

If I didn't own the cans I do, I would say a good companion would be to have either:

HE-500 + HD600
Or
HE-4 + HD650

Both combos give something more genre forgiving and one more open. Only problem is the 300ohm Senns and the Hifiman's planars aren't always driven well by the same device. I lucked out that both my HE-40 and HD580 sound great out of the Oppo.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #2,963 of 4,142
  First, as far as the HE-4 vs. HE-500 goes, let's not forget, like Soundsgoodtome stated, the HE-500 is super heavy. Like, a considerable-apocalypse-weapon-heavy.

Aaaand as far as modding goes... let's not get everyone into thinking that mods=better all the time. It's simply not true. I posted some objective measurements showing that removing the star felt, while subjectively making the HE-4 more open, razors up the midrange fairly drastically. I have yet to notice any big changes subjectively (I can't even confirm that they sound more open now) but I feel HFM put that there for a reason, and the measurements say so. As far as the fuzzor mod goes... yes, it's going to help with reflections but it's not a night-day difference like some have stated. Think about it. Unless your headphones sound like the Grand Canyon, this mod is a "just for good measure" kind-of-mod. If you feel the HE-4 has such an unnatural treble peak and if you feel the HE-500's fuzzor mod is a godsend, throw a piece of felt in front of the HE-4 driver and you're helping two problems at once. I'm not saying the fuzzor mod isn't a good idea, even jerg has made comments about the changes being minimal, but it's silly to disregard someone's opinion on a headphone just because they didn't open them up and throw crap inside as much as you have...

Some truth has been thrown down. 

My biggest question though was I don't remember what Amp and Dac ron12's been using? 

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #2,964 of 4,142
  Some truth has been thrown down. 

My biggest question though was I don't remember what Amp and Dac ron12's been using? 

Audio-GD Compass2 with 2W into 50ohm at the moment... Compared DA8 and Compass2's amp sections with HE-4 and while I heard some slight to appreciable improvement in bass and overall 'coherency' on higher to very high volumes using Compass2, it was nothing like night-n-day.

I don't really listen to music loud - it does not make any sense to me. You ears are not gonna retrieve more detail that way. However, Compass2 was close enough in overall performance (for much less money) that I just kept the Compass2. Honestly, I've been much more into headphones recently - incomparably better value for your money in comparison to slight improvements amps and DACs deliver (and yes, I've owned quite a few amps and DACs).

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2,965 of 4,142

Audio-GD Compass2 with 2W into 50ohm at the moment... Compared DA8 and Compass2's amp sections with HE-4 and while I heard some slight to appreciable improvement in bass and overall 'coherency' on higher to very high volumes using Compass2, it was nothing like night-n-day.

I don't really listen to music loud - it does not make any sense to me. You ears are not gonna retrieve more detail that way. However, Compass2 was close enough in overall performance (for much less money) that I just kept the Compass2. Honestly, I've been much more into headphones recently - incomparably better value for your money in comparison to slight improvements amps and DACs deliver (and yes, I've owned quite a few amps and DACs).

It's funny since I'm learning how much amps, dacs, and cables can have on performance with all this demo gear I have on hand right now. :evil:

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #2,966 of 4,142
  It's funny since I'm learning how much amps, dacs, and cables can have on performance with all this demo gear I have on hand right now. :evil:

Don't worry, I've tried lots of audio cables as well...

After several years of being into audiophile hobby, I realised that what makes me happy is searching for the best headphone and then trying to push it to perfection with modifications. I have enough experience now with different headphone driver technologies, with different amps and DACs topologies or features, with interconnects, with software or even additional hardware like crossfeed to simply focus on what I find enjoyable. There is no perfection - and you'll never reach it. Therefore focus on what makes you happy and content enough... I can tell you that my modded HE-500 makes me enjoy music even driven by a smartphone or PC soundcard, listening to youtube videos. It's appreciably better with my OCC copper headphone cable and Compass2 and lossless audio files and using Jplay + Jriver in dual-PC configuration but the headphone itself is great enough. And that's what matters to me - I don't have to correct HE-500 in any way - it's balanced and capable of delivering on its own. No other headphone was capable of achieving that... Even stock HE-500 wasn't. Still, I am interested how Paradox Slant will compete with them. :)

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #2,967 of 4,142

Don't worry, I've tried lots of audio cables as well...

After several years of being into audiophile hobby, I realised that what makes me happy is searching for the best headphone and then trying to push it to perfection with modifications. I have enough experience now with different headphone driver technologies, with different amps and DACs topologies or features, with interconnects, with software or even additional hardware like crossfeed to simply focus on what I find enjoyable. There is no perfection - and you'll never reach it. Therefore focus on what makes you happy and content enough... I can tell you that my modded HE-500 makes me enjoy music even driven by a smartphone or PC soundcard, listening to youtube videos. It's appreciably better with my OCC copper headphone cable and Compass2 and lossless audio files and using Jplay + Jriver in dual-PC configuration but the headphone itself is great enough. And that's what matters to me - I don't have to correct HE-500 in any way - it's balanced and capable of delivering on its own. No other headphone was capable of achieving that... Even stock HE-500 wasn't. Still, I am interested how Paradox Slant will compete with them. :)

Don't say that... makes me want to know just how good the he500 can sound. It certainly has never made any real impression on me in stock form...

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,968 of 4,142
+1 for HE-500. this headphone is on my wish list too and the 560/400i hype will provide many classified at low prices I guess :p

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2,969 of 4,142
+1 for HE-500. this headphone is on my wish list too and the 560/400i hype will provide many classified at low prices I guess :p

Honestly, I'd be interested in trying the new models, but I'd rather pad roll to see if I can make them sound more like my preferences. Though, I honestly, I just want the new yolk/assembly to slap on my HE-4 and call it end game...

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,970 of 4,142
Honestly, I'd be interested in trying the new models, but I'd rather pad roll to see if I can make them sound more like my preferences. Though, I honestly, I just want the new yolk/assembly to slap on my HE-4 and call it end game...

didnt Hifiman officially say they dont fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back