Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,551 of 4,142
  +1 on that, I just got the NFB-15 (2014) from Audio-gd and compared to my old iBasso D7 it's night and day difference, more opened, detailed, more bass. I know that the D7 it's more of a portable amp and goes about 150mWpc but it just did not sounded good plus it had some distortion at higher volume.

The HE4 and Woflson WM8740 chips on those Audio-GD couple with the onboard amp is an excellent match and synergy. I can't say that enough

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #2,553 of 4,142
Just acquired a Meier Cordra Cantate.  I can say without a doubt that this pairing has both great synergy and still retains all the bass punch I'd ever want without it being overkill.  I still cannot find how much juice this amp puts out, but i believe it's under 500mW.  Lets not start a flame war... the HE-4 scales quite well with better equipment.  I have no doubt that all of these pieces of equipment that have more power are just built better (or not?) who knows?

Ultimately, the better equipment I get, the more I'm falling in love with these headphones.  Now that I have comfortable factory velours (post handwash), the less I am worrying about anything but enjoying music!

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #2,554 of 4,142
Moving onto the NVX XPT100 Angled ComfortMax Pads (found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html)

These pads are miracle workers for extreme comfort and seal, there is NO doubt about that.  Price is right too, though inventory is pretty spotty.  Sonic Electronics seems to be the only distributor for the NVX brand.  They have a Fisher/Brainwavz clone that comes with two different pads.  For those of you who don't like the extra cushion, there is a less bulky option.  Luckily, these pads (each style) can be purchased separately.  They are both made of a protein leather.  Depending on who you talk to, protein leather can be made many different ways.  The general consensus is that true leather (animal unknown) is broken down into fine particulates and reconstituted with a form of glue.  Once made into leather-like sheets, this material can be sewn the same way as leather, with more flexibility.  The benefits are generally cost, comfort, and near leather-like sound.  As you can guess, since it's not a natural from-an-animal skin, proteins generally do not breath or ware nearly as well as true leathers.  (And no real leather smell!!!)

Back to what's important... the pads and the HE-4

First thing you will notice, these are like giant, fluffy, black clouds!

Sitting next too the Hifiman velours, even the non-angled part of the NVX pads are thicker.  This is a bit deceiving since the foam in the NVX pads are quite a bit squishier than the stiff Hifiman velours...

I was originally worried that the oval shaped pads would be problematic with the Hifiman mounting system.  In the end, the NVX pad is very flexible and stretchy enough that there are no real issues with fit or mounting. (My guess is for anyone who would like to use these pads permanently, you may consider trimming off the dark ring on the flap to allow a seal that doesn't fold in on itself... This is not required, but only for those who are super OCD)

Note the picture on the right... The pad's diameter is not nearly as wide of an opening, as well as being ovular.  This shaping does cause the mounting ring to bend a bit, though it was super easy getting the stretchy material to flip over the mounting ring.  I have already snapped some rings by trying to force it (with Hifiman pads)... just take your time, go slow.

As you can see from the photos, the pads themselves are GIANT.  Even in comparison to the already thick Hifiman.  This is going to be where people are going to either love or hate the NVX pads.  Part of what I like about the HE-4's sound gets changed whenever you start messing with distance from the drivers.  This is neither good nor bad, but once on they feel very much like an Audeze fit (minus all the dead weight of course).

WARNING

Due to the thickness and squishiness of the pads, this setup create a near perfect seal!  The long and short of it is these pads create the "suction cup effect".  Any adjustment caused the diaphram to move due to the pressure change.  I immediately removed them from my head and took the pads off.  This cannot be good on the driver and most likely will cause distortion. Proceed with caution!

I only had a few seconds to listen, so I cannot give any accurate description of the sound, but it certainly didn't sound bad.  I may consider trying this out again once and add raised vents between the pad and the rings to relieve the pressure issue...

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #2,555 of 4,142
Jul 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2,556 of 4,142
he4 plus beyer headband replacement and 1540 pads officially more comfy than t50 with md comfort strap and alphas, i am astonished and never thought id say that.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #2,557 of 4,142
  Moving onto the NVX XPT100 Angled ComfortMax Pads (found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html)

These pads are miracle workers for extreme comfort and seal, there is NO doubt about that.  Price is right too, though inventory is pretty spotty.  Sonic Electronics seems to be the only distributor for the NVX brand.  They have a Fisher/Brainwavz clone that comes with two different pads.  For those of you who don't like the extra cushion, there is a less bulky option.  Luckily, these pads (each style) can be purchased separately.  They are both made of a protein leather.  Depending on who you talk to, protein leather can be made many different ways.  The general consensus is that true leather (animal unknown) is broken down into fine particulates and reconstituted with a form of glue.  Once made into leather-like sheets, this material can be sewn the same way as leather, with more flexibility.  The benefits are generally cost, comfort, and near leather-like sound.  As you can guess, since it's not a natural from-an-animal skin, proteins generally do not breath or ware nearly as well as true leathers.  (And no real leather smell!!!)

Back to what's important... the pads and the HE-4

First thing you will notice, these are like giant, fluffy, black clouds!

Sitting next too the Hifiman velours, even the non-angled part of the NVX pads are thicker.  This is a bit deceiving since the foam in the NVX pads are quite a bit squishier than the stiff Hifiman velours...

I was originally worried that the oval shaped pads would be problematic with the Hifiman mounting system.  In the end, the NVX pad is very flexible and stretchy enough that there are no real issues with fit or mounting. (My guess is for anyone who would like to use these pads permanently, you may consider trimming off the dark ring on the flap to allow a seal that doesn't fold in on itself... This is not required, but only for those who are super OCD)

Note the picture on the right... The pad's diameter is not nearly as wide of an opening, as well as being ovular.  This shaping does cause the mounting ring to bend a bit, though it was super easy getting the stretchy material to flip over the mounting ring.  I have already snapped some rings by trying to force it (with Hifiman pads)... just take your time, go slow.

As you can see from the photos, the pads themselves are GIANT.  Even in comparison to the already thick Hifiman.  This is going to be where people are going to either love or hate the NVX pads.  Part of what I like about the HE-4's sound gets changed whenever you start messing with distance from the drivers.  This is neither good nor bad, but once on they feel very much like an Audeze fit (minus all the dead weight of course).

WARNING

Due to the thickness and squishiness of the pads, this setup create a near perfect seal!  The long and short of it is these pads create the "suction cup effect".  Any adjustment caused the diaphram to move due to the pressure change.  I immediately removed them from my head and took the pads off.  This cannot be good on the driver and most likely will cause distortion. Proceed with caution!

I only had a few seconds to listen, so I cannot give any accurate description of the sound, but it certainly didn't sound bad.  I may consider trying this out again once and add raised vents between the pad and the rings to relieve the pressure issue...

So is soundstage with these pads huge?? :) Added link to the guide, btw, thanks for contributing!

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #2,558 of 4,142
So is soundstage with these pads huge?? :) Added link to the guide, btw, thanks for contributing!

To be honest, I had an impression, but forgot to write it down. So I cannot confidently speak to any of the sonics. But it was so damn comfy that I will try some mods out later on to see if I can reduce the suction-cup effect. I tested out an LCD3 that did the same thing in one ear, and the owner fought with Audeze about it through 3 rmas.

As I get a bit of free time, I'm planning on making a guide to the washing technique and venting on the NVX pads.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,559 of 4,142

The HE4 and Woflson WM8740 chips on those Audio-GD couple with the onboard amp is an excellent match and synergy. I can't say that enough

Definitely true.  Killer "bang for the buck" combo IMO :wink:

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,560 of 4,142
I always wanted to try the NFB-15... If I ever needed to downgrade from DA8, it would be to the NFB-15. The lack of DSD is what I am worried about though.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2,561 of 4,142
  The lack of DSD is what I am worried about though.

Why ? So you really Think DSD brings something special to the table ?
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,562 of 4,142

Why ? So you really Think DSD brings something special to the table ?
tongue_smile.gif

Well, to be completely precise: DA8 is a fully-balanced design, offers two different types of headphone outputs (with slightly different flavour), has more extensive options how to influence sound (Wolfson's oversampling and DA filters are nice to have but DA8's jitter eliminator and both PCM and DSD filters are better executed/more useful in practice - have a personal experience with both chips), DXD and DSD is definitely nice to have to experiment (I happen to prefer to have my PCM music output in DSD native format using JRiver sometimes while sometimes I prefer PCM... it just depends on my mood and prefered filter at the moment + DSD classical music sounds really really nice out of it), everything is possible to switch on the front panel (while you need to open the casing in order to change filters and OS option with current version of NFB-15), display is far superior to the Audio-GD variant, endless Audio-GD revisions are very underwhelming for me as a potential customer, DA8 is 110/230V compatible (resale value/possibility)...

On the other hand, NFB-15 has a gain switch, compatibility with IEMs and more powerful amplification section (yes, I am not a believer but this endless talk about moar power makes me paranoid). It's of course significantly cheaper. If the current NFB-15 version still had the filter and OS switches on the front panel as the old version did, I would seriously hesitate about downgrading... But the way it is at the moment, I am staying happy with DA8.

Why I am not interested in the NFB-11? Because it's not a warmish amp/DAC combination and because it does not feature any DA filters or oversampling options... Variability is bliss, that's why I love DA8. You cannot get bored with it, you can always experiment.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #2,564 of 4,142
I switched from the hifiman velours to the hifiman pleather pads yesterday.  I like them quite a bit.  comfort is good the sound seems to be unaffected to me.  maybe a little more bass...maybe. 

I know a lot of people like the HE-4 for rock, but I'm actually enjoying a lot of hip-hop with HE-4.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,565 of 4,142
  I switched from the hifiman velours to the hifiman pleather pads yesterday.  I like them quite a bit.  comfort is good the sound seems to be unaffected to me.  maybe a little more bass...maybe. 

I know a lot of people like the HE-4 for rock, but I'm actually enjoying a lot of hip-hop with HE-4.

There is no genre that the HE-4 isn't good with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back