Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,096 of 4,142
The sibilance you are hearing is probably due to mastering if it isn't always there across the board. I have noticed that because of how transparent the HE-4 is you will notice mastering problems much more frequently.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,097 of 4,142
  The sibilance you are hearing is probably due to mastering if it isn't always there across the board. I have noticed that because of how transparent the HE-4 is you will notice mastering problems much more frequently.

Well that's what I am wondering.  The thing is that the "sibilance" hiss was not apparent when I was powering the HE-4 with the STX, and it was not in your face with the AKG K712Pro.  Now it is there and tires out my ears faster.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,099 of 4,142
  I usually listen to my HE-4 with a subtle EQ fix to reduce treble.

Same here.

I believe the most apparent spike in treble is in around 10-11 kHz. At least from my experimenting, I think that's where the sibilant S's are augmented.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,100 of 4,142

Same here.

I believe the most apparent spike in treble is in around 10-11 kHz. At least from my experimenting, I think that's where the sibilant S's are augmented.

I usually listen to my HE-4 with a subtle EQ fix to reduce treble.

Thanks guys, I reduced a few dBs in the 8-11kHz to where the drums sounded the most natural and it helped.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,101 of 4,142
Bifrost-bottlehead quickie-emotiva mini x-he4, orrrr tubemagic d2 to emotiva to he4??? There is honestly to many choices.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,102 of 4,142
Hmmm. Interesting development. My HE-4s apparently have an even newer revision of the dampening scheme. The materials are different, black instead of white, and now there is a little behind the cup as well as on the inside

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,104 of 4,142
  Hmmm. Interesting development. My HE-4s apparently have an even newer revision of the dampening scheme. The materials are different, black instead of white, and now there is a little behind the cup as well as on the inside

This is rather interesting. When and where did you buy them? Can you post a pic or two?

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,105 of 4,142
Should I take pics of mine? I'd be happy tk for comparisons. The only thing I can tell you for sure is mine have the star felt on the outside. Is that how everyone else's are? And now I'm wondering if this is why rinx7 is experiencing "more" sibilance than most of us.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,106 of 4,142

please excuse the sony point and shoot. Saving up 1k for a dslr setup right now, for the misses. Wish i could spend it on head-fi fun!!!

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,107 of 4,142
Or, how about Gungnir to Emotiva to HE 4 ? :smile:

Im just stuck in wonderland on this. I KNOW this dac destroyer cant be doing the he4 justice, the e17 had a better dac, but thats gone now. I really think i should just go bifrost uber usb and if i want that tube sound insert the quickie as a pre amp. I doubt the tubemagics dac bests the bifrost. I just really am limited on experience on dacs. But, i believe this here he4 is one of my endgame hps, and i want to scale it up (moderately i only make 55k a year) to get its to its "best".

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,108 of 4,142
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue.  It's the emotiva amp.  When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out.  30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting.  Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue.  Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,110 of 4,142
  Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue.  It's the emotiva amp.  When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out.  30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting.  Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue.  Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.

Interesting. I don't think that I've heard another emotiva owner make this same comment. Possibly the Marantz is just very warm and rolled off in the treble and it makes a good match for the he-4. I've owned one 70's era Marantz and it was certainly warm with dark treble. Not sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back