Dec 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,006 of 4,142
Wrong thread brotha....

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,007 of 4,142
Dang nab it, these headphones abbreviations can be so confusing
eek.gif

And now back to the regularly scheduled program
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,009 of 4,142
This is the HE-4 thread and let me just say, on behalf of all of us, it is time for you to upgrade.
cool.gif

I speculate that the lack of success with the he-4 has nothing to do with the hp itself but rather everything to do with the required amp. Most people would think "my amp is good enough." They'd be wrong. The he-4 loves the raw power on vintage receivers for sure. I also found that the lyr while enough power was not ideal. The Emotiva is good for sure. 

The power requirements would also put the he4/6 into "comes with it's own amp" category like the Stax setup. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,010 of 4,142
 Playing it straight from the back of my pc using onboard Realtek sound it was very bright and the bass was totally non-existent.

Using ODAC\O2 with HE-4 gives almost the same sound... My old Panasonic RX-DT680 portable system sounds great with HE-4 but the bass distorts massively when increasing volume. I'm not sure if it uses the speaker amp for HP out. Or maybe the sound is meaty because of dark sounding DAC part. I might try Schiit Lyr first though I'll have to connect it to the ODAC\O2 (combo) HP out (I've read that Schiit Lyr can handle even 10V input voltage so it shouldn't be a problem). If Lyr will improve the sound significantly then I also might try to get another DAC with dark sound signature to achieve perfect synergy with HE-4. Or maybe it would be nice to pair such DAC with Emotiva? BTW, I've read tons of forum threads and it looks like USB-powered DACs tend to have problems with bass presentation because of power limitations. What about Audio-GD combos? Compass 2 gives 2W into 50Ohms but also has a great power supply for both DAC and amp parts... So much variants! 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,011 of 4,142
While I agree, Matt, I still think people need to consider that an HE-4 + Emotiva mini is still cheaper than the HE-500 alone (especially when you can get them on sale). I still can't speak for the Emotiva myself (until tonight
biggrin.gif
) but it seems to be a great match.

GigArt, he was talking about his HE-400, not an HE-4.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,013 of 4,142
This is the HE-4 thread and let me just say, on behalf of all of us, it is time for you to upgrade.
cool.gif

Noooo! I wont go! I tell ya! This is it! THE END! The sweet kiss before damnations end! :D

Using ODAC\O2 with HE-4 gives almost the same sound... My old Panasonic RX-DT680 portable system sounds great with HE-4 but the bass distorts massively when increasing volume. I'm not sure if it uses the speaker amp for HP out. Or maybe the sound is meaty because of dark sounding DAC part. I might try Schiit Lyr first though I'll have to connect it to the ODAC\O2 (combo) HP out (I've read that Schiit Lyr can handle even 10V input voltage so it shouldn't be a problem). If Lyr will improve the sound significantly then I also might try to get another DAC with dark sound signature to achieve perfect synergy with HE-4. Or maybe it would be nice to pair such DAC with Emotiva? BTW, I've read tons of forum threads and it looks like USB-powered DACs tend to have problems with bass presentation because of power limitations. What about Audio-GD combos? Compass 2 gives 2W into 50Ohms but also has a great power supply for both DAC and amp parts... So much variants! 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the info GigArt. Nice to know the similarities of different gear and similar sources.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #1,014 of 4,142
Thujone says jergpads are a no go on the 4, reading back matttcg enjoyed them. I think ill see what difference they make tonight, I just got mine back, just need to pop em on.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,015 of 4,142

rolleyes.gif

Gigart

If you are willing to spend the money on the Lyr I highly recommend not to. Purchase a speaker tap cable or make one then use a speaker amp. The Lyr just isn't enough power for the HE-4 (sounds crazy but true). I too initially thought the Lyr would be great with the HE-4 and I bought one. I rolled some NOS Tesla tubes and it did sound good BUT I spent $20 on a Lepai 2020 speaker amp and hooked it up via speaker taps and it sounded almost better. With the Lepai you get a sense of the dynamics when hooked up with real power. The rest of the sound leaves a bit to be desired but honestly it competed extremely well with the Lyr. Enough that I would sell my Lyr over it and its not because I'm cheap (I kinda am but my dac is $800+ but I diy'd my speaker tap cable to save money using the extra HE-4 cable)

Tbh I've never listened to them on the Emotiva that everyone is using, as it's twice the price to get it to me so my compromise was a vintage Pioneer sx-680 amp (Thanks MattTCG and Skylab) I was using the headphone out and I too had the same issue as you where the bass would distort. I don't think mine was extreme as yours, for me it was only when I really turned the bass tune knob, like near or 1-2 clicks from the max. Watching the meters I could see it maxing out when the bass was hitting.

My solution was using speaker taps to my pioneer rather than the HP out. It bypasses the stepdown resistor so you get the full power (very technical, I know...) I much MUCH more enjoy the HE-4 on the Pioneer than the Lyr and the pioneer was only $60 vs the $400+ lyr and let's not talk about tube costs. The Pioneer is effortless power with huge dynamics with solid all-around sound. The air it delivers, wow. Basically everything the Lyr is but better. You lose a tad of warmth by not using the Lyr due to the tubes but tbh not much. Disclaimer, my dac uses a tube buffer, I like a bit of warmth to my sound, but the dac doesn't add much. Once you listen to an HE-4 properly amped WOW. I wouldn`t call the Pioneer cold but if the Lyr is enticing you due to the power along with the warmth of a tube I would suggest just getting a tube based dac. Not exactly sure to recommend as I have been using and loving the same dac for many years and don`t plan on upgrading it anytime soon.

Lots of text, sorry. Here's a pic to make up?? 

P.S. I am more than happy if you want more impressions, either by pm or if you want them posted.

ab111

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #1,017 of 4,142
Those are mango tree wood via munkynutz on this forum. I installed them myself though. No sound change but I think they look amazing now.

The pads are Alpha pads. I've heard mixed reviews on hifimans but to me the stock pleather and velour are too shallow and the tops of my ears are against the fabric on the drivers. Alpha pads are way more comfortable and I don't notice huge changes to sound if any. Plus I think it gives the headphone a touch of class it's lacking with the stock pads (just an added bonus, I like my gear not to only sound amazing but to look it as well)

I've heard that the lcd vegan pads are good with hifimans but that's another 70(I think correct me if I'm wrong) for pads.

ab11

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,018 of 4,142
Those are mango tree wood via munkynutz on this forum. I installed them myself though. No sound change but I think they look amazing now.

The pads are Alpha pads. I've heard mixed reviews on hifimans but to me the stock pleather and velour are too shallow and the tops of my ears are against the fabric on the drivers. Alpha pads are way more comfortable and I don't notice huge changes to sound if any. Plus I think it gives the headphone a touch of class it's lacking with the stock pads (just an added bonus, I like my gear not to only sound amazing but to look it as well)

I've heard that the lcd vegan pads are good with hifimans but that's another 70(I think correct me if I'm wrong) for pads.

ab11

This was my original plan when I was looking to get an HE-4 
redface.gif
 for now I'll be trying the mango wood cups with my HE-500.  MunkyNutz did a fantastic job with these as well!  I got mine unfinished, so I'll be working on them next month.  I've heard the Alpha Pads are a decent pairing with the HE-4 so I held on to my pair, but I may try out the T50RP (and some modding) before getting another HiFiMan.  Did you have him drill the screw holes/notches or did you do that yourself?

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,019 of 4,142
Cups are gorgeous. I got mine prenotched and drilled but it didn't come with notches for the grills although originally advertised to have it (I spoke with munkeynuts and he offered a full refund including shipping costs because of it if I wanted to return them. His reason was that he didn't want to in case people wanted to use custom grills but I thought everyone still used the same ring but used a different grill so it wouldn't matter where the notches are. Whatever I have awesome cups now, I can let it go now). I actually didn't add any notches for grills and the rings fit (very tightly) inside the cups. There is a tiny gap at one of the ring sticking out things that go into the notches but literally unnoticeable even when looking at it from 5 inches away. I don't recommend it as I don't know if the pressure on the wood or the ring is good but that's what I am doing for now.

Modular, I want my pads lmao. Jk, I know they will come when they do. I might do the exact as you, get a t50rp, mod it and use the alphas on them. But I'll wait for jergpads to decide. I might get the vegans for he-4 and use alphas on t50rp if the jergpads don't pair well with the he-4.

I hate to be the bandwagoner but vintage amps are where its at for price to performance ratio amp for these. Don't get me wrong I'm sure a gsxmkII or other amps can make these sing but for $60 beating out the Lyr is too impressive not to and there are many other models better and with more power than what I have. I actually haven't heard too many people using speaker taps with their vintage amps.

ab111

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,020 of 4,142
Cups are gorgeous. I got mine prenotched and drilled but it didn't come with notches for the grills although originally advertised to have it (I spoke with munkeynuts and he offered a full refund including shipping costs because of it if I wanted to return them. His reason was that he didn't want to in case people wanted to use custom grills but I thought everyone still used the same ring but used a different grill so it wouldn't matter where the notches are. Whatever I have awesome cups now, I can let it go now). I actually didn't add any notches for grills and the rings fit (very tightly) inside the cups. There is a tiny gap at one of the ring sticking out things that go into the notches but literally unnoticeable even when looking at it from 5 inches away. I don't recommend it as I don't know if the pressure on the wood or the ring is good but that's what I am doing for now.

Modular, I want my pads lmao. Jk, I know they will come when they do. I might do the exact as you, get a t50rp, mod it and use the alphas on them. But I'll wait for jergpads to decide. I might get the vegans for he-4 and use alphas on t50rp if the jergpads don't pair well with the he-4.

I hate to be the bandwagoner but vintage amps are where its at for price to performance ratio amp for these. Don't get me wrong I'm sure a gsxmkII or other amps can make these sing but for $60 beating out the Lyr is too impressive not to and there are many other models better and with more power than what I have. I actually haven't heard too many people using speaker taps with their vintage amps.

ab111

I'm finishing them up over the next few days and hope to have most of them shipped out this weekend...thanks for your patience!  The sewing portion takes some time 
redface.gif
 Not sure if anyone has tried the Audeze Vegans with an HE-4 yet but there are definitely a few who prefer them on the HE-6.

Also, agreed on vintage amps...especially the Pioneers.  I'm looking for one of my own but my dad has an SX-850 and it's very nice to my HE-500 
biggrin.gif
 they just have good synergy right out of the headphone jack.  I personally wasn't impressed by the Lyr when I tested one at the last meet, but the tubes were questionable so that could have been the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back