Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #196 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
It's time to take one for the team. Volunteers needed.

Well...i guess i just took one for the team then. Order was placed, and i will let you know how it compares to my beloved HD650. According to NanKai (the owner of HifiMan), HE-4 totally beats HD650 in every aspect. We shall see. :) Hopefully Chinese New Year will not slow down the shipping too much.

Yeah; I'm a little worried about the reportedly recessed mids.   But I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to get them.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #197 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:

Well...i guess i just took one for the team then. Order was placed, and i will let you know how it compares to my beloved HD650. According to NanKai (the owner of HifiMan), HE-4 totally beats HD650 in every aspect. We shall see. :) Hopefully Chinese New Year will not slow down the shipping too much.

Of course someone trying to sell the product is going to say it's better in every way.  It would have been funny though if he said that his headphones sucked compared the hd650.  

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #198 of 4,142
5 days from 15-20 Dec.

If you order these, get the speaker lead adapter as well, save the inevitable. The HiFiMan business model of making us buy a pigtail for something that needs different amping than all but one (k1k) headphone out there is squeezing their customer in my opinion. It should be part of the package or an option for the customer instead of the 1/4 pigtail standard.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #199 of 4,142

Quote:
5 days from 15-20 Dec.

If you order these, get the speaker lead adapter as well, save the inevitable. The HiFiMan business model of making us buy a pigtail for something that needs different amping than all but one (k1k) headphone out there is squeezing their customer in my opinion. It should be part of the package or an option for the customer instead of the 1/4 pigtail standard.

I'll make the adapter myself but I'll have to buy a balanced cable first.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #200 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course someone trying to sell the product is going to say it's better in every way.  It would have been funny though if he said that his headphones sucked compared the hd650.  

yeah, you are right. We are all buying Hifiman's products because of what he claimed. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #201 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
5 days from 15-20 Dec.

I'll make the adapter myself but I'll have to buy a balanced cable first.

Nah, you can just get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200569607781&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That's assuming you're not using a regular common ground amp (i.e. don't use it with a balanced or bridged amp!).  Cut off the RCA ends and you've got the wire leads you need.  I ordered one of those (and an 1/8" version too) to try out my Dayton T-amp with.

Could someone post a link the the Hifiman 1/4" TRS to speaker lead adapter/cable (if that's what's being talked about)?  Same goes for the 1/8" balanced TRRS to unbalanced TRS adapter that comes with their earbuds, if they sell that individually.

Oh, and I spent some more time with the K701 today.  I'm definitely not going to get it, or the Beyerdynamic T50p I also tried (and had been contemplating).  I don't dislike the K701, I just wouldn't call it an upgrade in any way to my HD 600.  The T50p on the other hand was very disappointing with its huge, gaping hole in the upper mids.  I guess that means if I get anything it will be the HE-4.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #204 of 4,142

Quote:
Did anyone try the HE-4 with the Concerto yet?

I read that it can't handle the HE-6 to full potential so it can't handle HE-4 either.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #205 of 4,142
I just took the plunge also.  Ordered the HE-4 and EF5 combo from Head-Direct.  Made a pretty fast decision on it.  It was between that setup and an RS-1 and RA-1 combo.  I've owned the RS-1's with the RA-1 amp in the past and loved them but figured I'd try something else this time and if they're not my thing I'll just sell them off and buy the grado combo in the future.  Does anyone have any experience with both setups with some impressions of both??  I'm pretty excited to receive them!

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #206 of 4,142
I just realised yesterday, having previously thought that there's no way I can drive these, than if I short the output resistors on my amp I'd be able to put ~3W through a pair of 38ohm cans. And since these are competetively priced somewhere between the HD 600 and 650 they're suddenly seeming like a very plausible option. Some more impressions and comparisons with those two pairs not from anyone associated with Head-Direct would be great.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #208 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
Did anyone try the HE-4 with the Concerto yet?

I read that it can't handle the HE-6 to full potential so it can't handle HE-4 either.

The HE-4 is 2.5 dB more efficient than the HE-6, so I'm not sure that's necessarily true.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #209 of 4,142
Feb 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #210 of 4,142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back