Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #181 of 4,142
You obviously can't use a HE4 inside an MRI. Because it has a magnet already. Happy now?
(The people who make the MRI orthos (well, without magnets they aren't technically orthos...) just might know more about MRI magnetic fields than you think you do... )

Quote:
Quote:
I have not followed this thread but happened to have stumbled upon it. 

1. HE4 - one sided magnets = lighter , half the efficiency though - now working like a ribbon but fixed at edges. as stated no charging of magnets. 

2. MRI and orthos - if you enter the dark halls of the ortho-underground you will have to be neutered lest you disclose that which is not to be disclosed. They exist, they are in patent and no , they are not commercially available. another no, I have nothing to do with them but have been privy to details. 

that's all ..dB

If they're in patent then they certainly not secret...  Since you claim to know so much about these can you give me the patent nos. or link to the online viewable version of the patent for them?  Otherwise your cryptic post is no better than BS (or just plain old trolling) considering the magnetic fields inside an MRI...

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #182 of 4,142

Quote:
Can you connect a balanced cable to the HE4?

Yes, it comes stock with one (the portable cord).  Since the cable is terminated on each cup individually (and is replaceable), it can use aftermarket balanced cables as well (like the Sennheiser two-prong models [HD 580/600/650 and others]).

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #183 of 4,142

Quote:
You obviously can't use a HE4 inside an MRI. Because it has a magnet already. Happy now?
(The people who make the MRI orthos (well, without magnets they aren't technically orthos...) just might know more about MRI magnetic fields than you think you do... )

Perhaps they do.  Or perhaps you're lying through your teeth, since you can't seem to provide any evidence.  As an engineer, this is one of those "I'll believe it when I see documentation" things.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #184 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
Can you connect a balanced cable to the HE4?

Yes, it comes stock with one (the portable cord).  Since the cable is terminated on each cup individually (and is replaceable), it can use aftermarket balanced cables as well (like the Sennheiser two-prong models [HD 580/600/650 and others]).

Oh ofc, you're right, I forgot it comes with the portable balanced cable. Thanks Ben. I will probably be getting the balanced cable from Head direct's site since its the cheapest.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #185 of 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeardBen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a balanced stereo 3.5mm TRS plug has both inverted phase (negative) conductors on the stem, with the left and right normal phase (positive) conductors in the usual place - so you should be able to plug the portable cable into a regular unbalanced stereo 3.5mm jack and they'll work fine.  It's the equivalent of shorting the negative terminals of a common ground stereo speaker amp, where you normally have separate wires going to each speaker anyway.  You're just moving the point where the negative terminals are shorted together from inside the headphones to the end of the cable.

It's a pretty genius way of wiring your headphones - in fact, it's such an easy way of making headphones foolproofully :D adaptable between balanced and unbalanced that it's interesting that new high-end headphones don't come this way.

Yes, but yet no. Any RE-ZERO owner who got one with the TRRS plug can tell you that connecting it to a normal 3.5mm jack will only give you sound down one channel. This is because the conventional design of TRS sockets seems to be that there is a contact for the tip, the ring and then only one half of the sleeved area. Thus only one channel is actually grounded. If I recall correctly, there are a few Cowon players out there that have sockets that will work natively with the TRRS, presumably because of a slight change of design with the contacts. However, the chances of a Cowon player driving an HE-4 well (if at all) are pretty minute.

Still, I do agree that it's the way that balanced ought to be going. I've never understood the desire to use two big, clunky XLRs when mini-XLRs, 4-pin XLRs, a pair of mono jacks or even a 6.35mm TRRS jack (if they exist) would work totally fine. Hell, a pair of RCAs would probably do the job. Just because XLRs are the studio convention doesn't mean that it's the best method.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #186 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeardBen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a balanced stereo 3.5mm TRS plug has both inverted phase (negative) conductors on the stem, with the left and right normal phase (positive) conductors in the usual place - so you should be able to plug the portable cable into a regular unbalanced stereo 3.5mm jack and they'll work fine.  It's the equivalent of shorting the negative terminals of a common ground stereo speaker amp, where you normally have separate wires going to each speaker anyway.  You're just moving the point where the negative terminals are shorted together from inside the headphones to the end of the cable.

It's a pretty genius way of wiring your headphones - in fact, it's such an easy way of making headphones foolproofully :D adaptable between balanced and unbalanced that it's interesting that new high-end headphones don't come this way.

Yes, but yet no. Any RE-ZERO owner who got one with the TRRS plug can tell you that connecting it to a normal 3.5mm jack will only give you sound down one channel. This is because the conventional design of TRS sockets seems to be that there is a contact for the tip, the ring and then only one half of the sleeved area. Thus only one channel is actually grounded. If I recall correctly, there are a few Cowon players out there that have sockets that will work natively with the TRRS, presumably because of a slight change of design with the contacts. However, the chances of a Cowon player driving an HE-4 well (if at all) are pretty minute.

Still, I do agree that it's the way that balanced ought to be going. I've never understood the desire to use two big, clunky XLRs when mini-XLRs, 4-pin XLRs, a pair of mono jacks or even a 6.35mm TRRS jack (if they exist) would work totally fine. Hell, a pair of RCAs would probably do the job. Just because XLRs are the studio convention doesn't mean that it's the best method.

Okay, I see.  It's a limitation depending on the particular 3.5mm jack's contacts.  For example, my laptop, which has a TRRS mic/phone combo port, almost certainly won't work unless there's some way to ground the mic line (mobo hack?) - not that it would be able to power them anyway...  I guess I'd have one mic and one underpowered can then...

I wonder if it's mostly an issue with TRRS mic/headphone jack combos, and that most regular TRS jacks work fine?

It just doesn't make that much sense to me that the "portable" cable is balanced yet doesn't come with an adapter - no matter how hard these are to drive.  I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter (for the longer cable) so that isn't the issue.  I just want to experiment around, and I'd definitely like the shorter cable most of the time...

I suppose it's in preparation for the balanced amp section for the HM-801....  Still, it hardly makes sense that they didn't include the adapter...

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #187 of 4,142

Oops.

I was with a contractor that had a pair of channel locks in his side pocket. We entered the room and the magnet was on. From the door, it pulled from the pants and the channel locks were hard on the magnet surface.  We were finally able to get them off after about a 1/2 hr of trying. Now this magnet would make one hell of a sub woofer.

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #188 of 4,142
Quote:

I wonder if it's mostly an issue with TRRS mic/headphone jack combos, and that most regular TRS jacks work fine?

It just doesn't make that much sense to me that the "portable" cable is balanced yet doesn't come with an adapter - no matter how hard these are to drive.  I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter (for the longer cable) so that isn't the issue.  I just want to experiment around, and I'd definitely like the shorter cable most of the time...

All of my sources (onboard sound, DAC, iPod Classic) don't have a microphone band but still have this problem. I think it's just simply a case of conventional TRS socket design that the ground contact isn't up against the base of the plug.

It does seem odd that they didn't include an adapter - especially since the RE-ZERO had two (one soft, one hard) and either would work.

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #189 of 4,142

Oops.

I was with a contractor that had a pair of channel locks in his side pocket. We entered the room and the magnet was on. From the door, it pulled from the pants and the channel locks were hard on the magnet surface.  We were finally able to get them off after about a 1/2 hr of trying. Now this magnet would make one hell of a sub woofer.

A sub OR the new Sony XB-2000. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #191 of 4,142

Quote:
anyone else got HE-4 and care to share their thoughts? I am very interested in getting one. 

The first post has links to the two (yeah, unfortunately only two) reviews so far.

Of course, I'd like to hear more... Especially how they compare to the HD 600 (which I own) and the K701 (which I've auditioned and am considering getting).

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #193 of 4,142

Quote:
It's time to take one for the team. Volunteers needed.

I'm that -> || <- close, since they're reasonably priced from Germany...  But I really ought to wait until I at least get my student loan deferment stuff worked out.

That and the K701/HD 25-1 II together cost less.  But if the HE-4 is that much better, I might have to go for it.  I'm just a bit worried about their hunger for power - I'm waiting on some adapters to try out my Dayton T-amp with my HD 600 to see how it sounds.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #194 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
anyone else got HE-4 and care to share their thoughts? I am very interested in getting one. 

The first post has links to the two (yeah, unfortunately only two) reviews so far.

Of course, I'd like to hear more... Especially how they compare to the HD 600 (which I own) and the K701 (which I've auditioned and am considering getting).

I will order them in two weeks time and will let you know how they compare with HD600.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #195 of 4,142

Quote:
It's time to take one for the team. Volunteers needed.

Well...i guess i just took one for the team then. Order was placed, and i will let you know how it compares to my beloved HD650. According to NanKai (the owner of HifiMan), HE-4 totally beats HD650 in every aspect. We shall see. :) Hopefully Chinese New Year will not slow down the shipping too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back