Hifiman Edition X
Nov 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #376 of 4,030
Okay, got to spend an hour with edition x. Here are some quick, very off the cuff comments. 

*decent box and presentation package. My box is hard to close and has a few minor blemishes. Not what it should be at this price point.

*edition x look WAY better than the he1k IMHO. Paint is just gorgeous!! Looks like black chrome. I'd take this all day over the wood cups on the hek. Lot's of matte black touches. Just wonderful looking. 

*cables are grey and seem slightly more flexible than hek. Hifiman really should include the balanced cable at this level....seriously. 

*build quality of the edition seems good. I'd say a little better than hek. Fit and fitment of the parts and pieces seems very well put together. No squeeky hinging like on the hek. 

*the weight and comfort are off the charts good. I thought hek was comfortable if not a little heavy. The Ed. x simply disappears after a few minutes. 

*the headband is too long. I've got a medium head and I'm on the very smallest setting. If it loosens with wear, I won't be able to wear the headphone where I'd like to. I told hifiman about this going all the way back to the hek beta...come on guys. 

Sound (right out of the box, no burn in)

There are certainly some similarities between the Ed. x and hek. It's certainly tuned in a similar fashion. Smooth lush mids, nice deep extended bass, great sound staging and highs are extended but a little soft. Early impression is that I will really like these. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #377 of 4,030
Not a bad start, strange I prefer the look of the HEK better.  That's why I asked to see photos of the HEX, there are not many real world photos out there.  Are the hinges metal? can't tell from the photos so far.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #380 of 4,030
  Okay, got to spend an hour with edition x. Here are some quick, very off the cuff comments. 

*decent box and presentation package. My box is hard to close and has a few minor blemishes. Not what it should be at this price point.

*edition x look WAY better than the he1k IMHO. Paint is just gorgeous!! Looks like black chrome. I'd take this all day over the wood cups on the hek. Lot's of matte black touches. Just wonderful looking. 

*cables are grey and seem slightly more flexible than hek. Hifiman really should include the balanced cable at this level....seriously. 

*build quality of the edition seems good. I'd say a little better than hek. Fit and fitment of the parts and pieces seems very well put together. No squeeky hinging like on the hek. 

*the weight and comfort are off the charts good. I thought hek was comfortable if not a little heavy. The Ed. x simply disappears after a few minutes. 

*the headband is too long. I've got a medium head and I'm on the very smallest setting. If it loosens with wear, I won't be able to wear the headphone where I'd like to. I told hifiman about this going all the way back to the hek beta...come on guys. 

Sound (right out of the box, no burn in)

There are certainly some similarities between the Ed. x and hek. It's certainly tuned in a similar fashion. Smooth lush mids, nice deep extended bass, great sound staging and highs are extended but a little soft. Early impression is that I will really like these. 
biggrin.gif

Have you listened to the 560s? I'd be interested in a comparison if its something I want to upgrade. Plenty happy with the 560s.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #382 of 4,030
Very nice, thanks for the pics. Got to admit, it looks pretty cool.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #383 of 4,030
My main interest in the HEX (beside the sound quality and signature of course) is if they are appropriate priced.
If they are a big killer i will get them in the future.
Also hows the soundstage compared to the HEK?

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #384 of 4,030

Have you listened to the 560s? I'd be interested in a comparison if its something I want to upgrade. Plenty happy with the 560s.

I've owned the he560...twice. I did like the 560, but despite being a very good offering I found it a little peaky in the lower treble and that it had an overall "dry" tone. The Ed. x has neither of those flaws. 

I've just swapped out the stock cable for an Oppo cable with balanced 4pin termination. Hot damn!! Now we're talking. The Ed. x responds nicely to power. I was really worried that my mjo2 would over power this headphone. No problem at all. In fact the Ed. x sound great with the extra power over balanced. This is what the stock cable should look and feel like. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #385 of 4,030

I've owned the he560...twice. I did like the 560, but despite being a very good offering I found it a little peaky in the lower treble and that it had an overall "dry" tone. The Ed. x has neither of those flaws. 

I've just swapped out the stock cable for an Oppo cable with balanced 4pin termination. Hot damn!! Now we're talking. The Ed. x responds nicely to power. I was really worried that my mjo2 would over power this headphone. No problem at all. In fact the Ed. x sound great with the extra power over balanced. This is what the stock cable should look and feel like. 

Thanks. Also see you have the Ether's. Any thoughts in comparison to these? I mean 1700 bucks they are starting to play in a field with a lot of competition. How do you like it on the mojo2? My 560s feel flat on my mojo but they pair awesome on my WA6SE. I feel the tubes I have in it give it some warmth where as you noted they can be a bit dry on the SS stuff.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #388 of 4,030
  Hmm, less peaky than the 560? that sounds fantastic. does it also sound richer and fuller?

Yes, richer sounding than the 560. Lot's of layering of sound. The sound stage is just as wide, deep and tall as hek IMO. I am loving the tone of the mids. Peaky female vocals sound just fine. 

I am patting myself on the back for keeping that Oppo balanced cable. I think that the last time I'll use the stock cable. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back