Hifiman Edition X
Nov 29, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #406 of 4,030
Thanks for the early impressions.  I really enjoyed the HEK comfort, no surprise that HEX performed well here too.
How does it compare to Ether?

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #407 of 4,030

MattTCG,

Can you comment on comfort? I have been using the ETHER for a while now and I find they can get a little warm on the ears.

Do the HE-X have larger cut outs for the ear? And what material are the pads made out of?

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #408 of 4,030
  Thanks for the early impressions.  I really enjoyed the HEK comfort, no surprise that HEX performed well here too.
How does it compare to Ether?

I'll need some more time for that one. So far, I'll say that Ether is more neutral and that the HEX is a bit more natural sounding. I'll expand on that later. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #409 of 4,030

MattTCG,

Can you comment on comfort? I have been using the ETHER for a while now and I find they can get a little warm on the ears.

Do the HE-X have larger cut outs for the ear? And what material are the pads made out of?

Thanks!

The HEX is supremely comfortable. 399 vs 375 with the Ether weighing a little less. The cups on the HEX are just cavernous. It's been in the low 70's for the past few days and my ears are not getting toasty at all with the HEX. The pads are bigger but I'll have to measure to be accurate. Pads construction is pleather with velour sewn on top. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #410 of 4,030

The HEX is supremely comfortable. 399 vs 375 with the Ether weighing a little less. The cups on the HEX are just cavernous. It's been in the low 70's for the past few days and my ears are not getting toasty at all with the HEX. The pads are bigger but I'll have to measure to be accurate. Pads construction is pleather with velour sewn on top. 

That is awesome to hear. I've never had issues with weight/clamp for comfort, but I find the real leather and small cups are always a problem.

Does the velour provide some breathability? I have HD 700, 800 and find the cups to be unbeatable in comfort. If I can get an audition on the HE-X and like them I'll likely cancel my HD800s preorder. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #412 of 4,030

That is awesome to hear. I've never had issues with weight/clamp for comfort, but I find the real leather and small cups are always a problem.

Does the velour provide some breathability? I have HD 700, 800 and find the cups to be unbeatable in comfort. If I can get an audition on the HE-X and like them I'll likely cancel my HD800s preorder. 

I would put the HEX on par with hd800 for comfort and breathability. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #413 of 4,030
Sounds like they are a definite ergonomic upgrade from HE-6 but can someone comments on sonic upgrade from a properly amped HE-6?

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #414 of 4,030
I think that some people would say that it is not a sonic upgrade at all. For me personally I like the hex better. The he6 will have more bass slam and more treble. The HEX will have as much bass extension but not hit as hard. HEX also has a bigger sound stage and more natural mids IMO.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #417 of 4,030
  This is all exciting news... would love to have the HEX + AK320... I don't need the absolute top-flight-sound, something in the ballpark is good enough for me I think...

How is the experience compared to the Layla + AK240SS? Is it worth owning both?

Absolutely. 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back