Hifiman Edition X
Dec 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #436 of 4,030
Portable nirvana

Just got them in. Will post some impressions in the next couple of days and after some burn in, but first thing I notice is just how much more comfortable they are than the HEK I had and HEK was crazy comfortable too.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #437 of 4,030
CR@P.. I think I'm in on the Edition X.
Never thought I's sell my HD800 as I've spent a lot of time and money building my perfect HD800 system. I recently got the Shure SE846 and love the bass and rich mids with gobs of detail.  The HD800 are better but now sound thin in comparison.  It sounds like the Edition X may be my answer. With the McIntosh, Naim and AK Jr,, it might be the best solution for all.
I had a chance to hear the HEK and compare them to my HD800 on the McIntosh and preferred the HEK by a small margin, but at the price differential {in Canadian $}, it wasn't worth it.  If the X has richer mids than the HEK, I'm sold.
A friend of mine has the X on order, will be in within the next 10 days or so but I'm tempted to sell off the HD800 ASAP.  I'll sleep on it tonight.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #438 of 4,030
I think either this or HD800S will be my next headphones...

How do these compare to similarly priced LCD-X and LCD-3?

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #439 of 4,030
If this one is as soft as the HE-1K then no thanks. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #440 of 4,030
Portable nirvana

Just got them in. Will post some impressions in the next couple of days and after some burn in, but first thing I notice is just how much more comfortable they are than the HEK I had and HEK was crazy comfortable too.

you had a KEK and now you bought a HE-X ? why ? you did not like the KEK ?

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #442 of 4,030
 Soon, a direct comparison of the new HifiMan Edition X headphone with the Kennerton Odin on the same amp (Viva Egoista 845), and also with the HE-K.

See my first Edit : link : http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new-kennerton-odin-planar-magnetic-magister-vali-headphones-cables-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/255#post_12094953

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #443 of 4,030
  I think either this or HD800S will be my next headphones...

How do these compare to similarly priced LCD-X and LCD-3?

Also curious about this.  I currently have the LCD-2F and I absolutely love them.  Was considering the HE-560 for something more open with more bite.  I hope the HE-X does this though the comments regarding the "soft" bass and sound have me a bit concerned.  Perhaps this isn't the headphone for me?

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #444 of 4,030

Also curious about this.  I currently have the LCD-2F and I absolutely love them.  Was considering the HE-560 for something more open with more bite.  I hope the HE-X does this though the comments regarding the "soft" bass and sound have me a bit concerned.  Perhaps this isn't the headphone for me?

My .02 here. I have the LCD-3s and the 560s. Very different headphones but compliment each other well. I feel the 560s are more of an all rounder get more of the genres of music I listen to right and they are super comfy so I usually wear them as a daily driver. You really need to listen to both to make a decision. Also I did listen to the HEX and not for 1 second would I ever consider them over my 3s. No way. I'd also probably take the X over these as well which I had for a bit sent back and now have the XCs.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #445 of 4,030

My .02 here. I have the LCD-3s and the 560s. Very different headphones but compliment each other well. I feel the 560s are more of an all rounder get more of the genres of music I listen to right and they are super comfy so I usually wear them as a daily driver. You really need to listen to both to make a decision. Also I did listen to the HEX and not for 1 second would I ever consider them over my 3s. No way. I'd also probably take the X over these as well which I had for a bit sent back and now have the XCs.

Wow that sounds surprising.  What did you like more about the 3F over the HE-X?  Maybe I should consider getting the 3F's instead and sell off my 2F's.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #446 of 4,030
I was really exited about the HEK until the price came out.
The HEX might be something I will allow myself to buy, but at 1700 it does have some heavy competition (Lower stax, HD800, LCDs).
Im definitly gonna wait till they bring that to the store I buy at in Poland, but its on my radar :D.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #447 of 4,030

Wow that sounds surprising.  What did you like more about the 3F over the HE-X?  Maybe I should consider getting the 3F's instead and sell off my 2F's.

Well again I think this truly comes down to a personal pref. I'm a fan of the Audeze house sound and when I listen to my 3s I feel like I'm in the front row of a small concert hall. Hard to say as I only had a brief time with the X at a meet and it of course was loud. Dunno I always feel like if you take my previous analogy the 560s and the X put me a few rows back and felt wider in the soundstage. Less intimate if you will. Also i haven't listened to anything besides the LCD-4 that has those lush mids of the 3s. Vocals just really stand out to me on the 3s. Special imo.

Also some part of my not liking the X was the fit, I don't have a small head trust me and I had to click the adjuster all the way down. God forbid the strap stretched over time I feel they wouldn't fit anymore. Along with the 560 and X I feel on the wrong amp they sound a bit thin and the bass was soft as some people have mentioned. I've always liked my 560s on my WA6SE and less on my Mjolnir. Which is why I feel its so important to get a listen on your gear.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #448 of 4,030

you had a KEK and now you bought a HE-X ? why ? you did not like the KEK ?

I actually loved the HEK, my favorite headphone of all time, but I don't own any desktop equipment, only the CDM and AK380+Amp.  Even though the HEK sounded great out of those two, I felt it was still underpowered.  There are some songs from the new Caribou album where the bass hits really deep and low, and the HEK would distort a bit with both the CDM and AK380+AMP so as soon as I found out they are coming out with a more efficient version, I sold the HEK since I have no plans to buy any desktop equipment.

I'm happy to know that the same smooth detailed sound signature of the HEK is still there with the HEX.   Now with just the CDM, I can't go past 3pm on high gain without it getting too loud.  The bass and sound is now nice and full with the HEX out of my portable stuff.  I felt the bass was a little thin with the HEK because I think the HEK needs 2+ watts of power.

Also, the HEX with CDM (mullards) is a killer combo!!!!!  

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #449 of 4,030
I was really exited about the HEK until the price came out.
The HEX might be something I will allow myself to buy, but at 1700 it does have some heavy competition (Lower stax, HD800, LCDs).
Im definitly gonna wait till they bring that to the store I buy at in Poland, but its on my radar :D.

I'm with you. I definitely do not regret getting the HEX instead. It really is great on most accounts. I've been driving it with the Mojo lately with very good results.

For anyone but maybe HE-6 owner (with very good amps), the HEX is definitely punchy enough! Yet, it's never fatiguing - which cannot be said of the HE-6 until it's carefully modded and powered.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #450 of 4,030

Well again I think this truly comes down to a personal pref. I'm a fan of the Audeze house sound and when I listen to my 3s I feel like I'm in the front row of a small concert hall. Hard to say as I only had a brief time with the X at a meet and it of course was loud. Dunno I always feel like if you take my previous analogy the 560s and the X put me a few rows back and felt wider in the soundstage. Less intimate if you will. Also i haven't listened to anything besides the LCD-4 that has those lush mids of the 3s. Vocals just really stand out to me on the 3s. Special imo.

Also some part of my not liking the X was the fit, I don't have a small head trust me and I had to click the adjuster all the way down. God forbid the strap stretched over time I feel they wouldn't fit anymore. Along with the 560 and X I feel on the wrong amp they sound a bit thin and the bass was soft as some people have mentioned. I've always liked my 560s on my WA6SE and less on my Mjolnir. Which is why I feel its so important to get a listen on your gear.

Thanks for the impressions!  Its interesting since it seems the HE-560 and the HE-X have some similarities (softish bass, similar soundstage) this definitely might be a good option for me to pick up even if you personally didn't enjoy them at first listen.  I also really enjoy the Audeze (I also really enjoy the midrange) sound and I think I would prefer to keep my 2F's for the time being since I have heard that the LCD-2F and LCD-3F are very similar in tone (though I have heard of many differing opinions about this as well) and maybe pick up something to complement it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back