Hifiman Edition X
Nov 28, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #391 of 4,030
hmm, by now i'm truly interested in this product. how would you describe the bass? all i ever wanted is a smoother 560 with more rumbly sub-bass presence...
i know, i could go for an audeze product, but i feel they're overpriced and too heavy.

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #392 of 4,030
  hmm, by now i'm truly interested in this product. how would you describe the bass? all i ever wanted is a smoother 560 with more rumbly sub-bass presence...
i know, i could go for an audeze product, but i feel they're overpriced and too heavy.

In fairness, the HEX really needs 100+ hours of burn in to be able to make comments on it's sound signature. But even with no burn in, the HEX may be what you're looking for. Smooth but very good detail retrieval. Nice sub bass rumble. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #394 of 4,030
This thread has really caught my attention. I can't wait to hear how the X sounds compared to the 560 and the Ether. I have been on the fence for a year now not knowing what headphones I want to purchase. I am into classical and like a very clean sound that is controllable on the very low volume levels. I just had the OPPO PM-1 and 2 and 3 at my house during the loaner program. I have waited for the X to come out before I made my move. This thread is going to be key in my decision. Thanks for all of your comments and reviews on the comparison of the X.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #396 of 4,030
For me, it's going to be ....The Clash of the Under-$2000 Titans!!

Edition X  vs.  HD 800S  

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #397 of 4,030
Looking forward to more direct HEK vs HEX comparisons 
smily_headphones1.gif

popcorn.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #399 of 4,030
Ether HEX. All I am hearing about the lower priced HE500S have to be Amped correctly to get the best out of them..

I am in the tough decision of burning my cash on the above.
ETHER. ..HE X.. Then building up my music collection..

Enjoy burning them in BTW..8^)

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #400 of 4,030
Do they have a similar speaker like out of head quality like the HEKs?

Most certainly they (HE-X) do! Out of my AK240SS, the differences between the HEX and HE1000s are fairly close, but the HE1000s really stepped it up on my main rig (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2). So with more power and a better source, the HE1000s are truly VERY special headphones.

That said, out of my iPhone 6, iPad Air or AK240SS, the HE-Xs are magnificent...and a top flight upfront desktop setup is not a requirement...and that I think is what's really amazing about these headphones.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #401 of 4,030

Most certainly they (HE-X) do! Out of my AK240SS, the differences between the HEX and HE1000s are fairly close, but the HE1000s really stepped it up on my main rig (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2). So with more power and a better source, the HE1000s are truly VERY special headphones.

That said, out of my iPhone 6, iPad Air or AK240SS, the HE-Xs are magnificent...and a top flight upfront desktop setup is not a requirement...and that I think is what's really amazing about these headphones.

This is all exciting news... would love to have the HEX + AK320... I don't need the absolute top-flight-sound, something in the ballpark is good enough for me I think...

How is the experience compared to the Layla + AK240SS? Is it worth owning both?

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #403 of 4,030
  Any more impressions? And when do these start shipping?

Already shipping. After 30 hours of break in...

*amazing imaging and sound staging

*serious audiophile bass, extended and textured 

*great looks and better build quality than previous generation

*plenty of air with excellent separation of instruments and voices...richly layered sound

*overall a similar product to the hek, has that "smooth, but very detailed" presentation

There is a lot to like here for sure. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #404 of 4,030
Sounding good, is it warmer than the HE-K? Sorry if already asked.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #405 of 4,030
^^ Overall may just a touch warmer but very close. It's been a while since I've had the hek. Comfort is crazy good. 

Maybe the most surprising thing so far is how well the hex responds to power. I was worried when I kept hearing that it will be great from a smart phone. I'm getting plenty of swing on the volume pot with the mjo2 (8watts). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back