Hifiman Ananda
Aug 20, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #4,696 of 4,987
I don't think people trash Ananda here. They are siblings after all. I recommend EQ for that. EQ'ed Ananda is so good.

1900hz +4db q2
3300hz -3db q2

and a bass shelf if you want.
I certainly did. To each his own. With the HE-6 SE, HEX v1, and HE-500 in hand i'm set.

As for the EQ settings for the v1 (know it well) I would start here for a 6 settings parametric. Keeps the overall personality but eases it a but. The key setting is the upper mid, but you need the one just below to keep the mids from taking over too much. The 3 highest settings are aimed at FR and ringing issues combined.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-164505~2.png
    Screenshot_20220820-164505~2.png
    453.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #4,697 of 4,987
I certainly did. To each his own. With the HE-6 SE, HEX v1, and HE-500 in hand i'm set.

As for the EQ settings for the v1 (know it well) I would start here for a 6 settings parametric. Keeps the overall personality but eases it a but. The key setting is the upper mid, but you need the one just below to keep the mids from taking over too much. The 3 highest settings are aimed at FR and ringing issues combined.
That's a nice eq. To my ears, most of the presence is in the 3k region on Ananda. Sundara and Arya SE seem to have more like an 8k presence. XS 12k. That's how i perceive their sound character.

I wanna buy HE6se down the line. I hope it will not be discontinued. HE6se v2 with round velour pads and Arya headband mod would be interesting.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #4,698 of 4,987
Oops. Dupe.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #4,699 of 4,987
I thought the same thing about the SE1 at first. That 3-4k area. But as I explored the Toneboosters Parametric with a combination of: test tones, FR maps, waterfall plots, top quality recordings - is what I used.

What I learned: units used for published graphs differ from mine. That means if you want to max yours, on your set-up, that iteration has to happen. So when I suggest the 3 settings over the upper mid setting has to be worked by any person trying it. Every round cup HFM can I have or have seen the waterfall plot/listening has issues in the 3-4.5k and 8-9k area. Almost always there is a 3rd one lurking in between.

These settings are subtle compared to stuff like the upper mid dip, or wearing the cans in a very non optimal spot, etc. Think of it as a secondary effort - unless treble brightness is a big deal to you. Also these are not fundamentals - these are overtones. The full female vocal range is the single best source, but other mid instruments can also work.

I like the low shelf 2 setting at that Q because you get the lower bass help and a slight dip around 55-65 Hz to mitigate that blip.

As I've gone into this before - matching a curve by Crinicle isn't the goal - more accurate sound is.

Aug 25, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #4,700 of 4,987
I'm not sure if this has come up before, but has anyone else noticed the physical differences between the pre/post cardboard box packaging anandas?

I had to get a replacement and the new one came in the plain cardboard package, which is fine.

But the grills/vents on the side now protrude out a few more mm, and the size of the slats is a bit thicker.

Just wondering if that would affect the sound or if it's just a structural thing,

Apparently the same change has happened to the edition xs

I found a pic comparing those, the ananda is identical.

Old on the left vs new on the right and the newer one is raised though you cant see it here because of the angle.

Apologies if it's a silly question as I'm still an audio noob

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #4,701 of 4,987
I'm not sure if this has come up before, but has anyone else noticed the physical differences between the pre/post cardboard box packaging anandas?

I had to get a replacement and the new one came in the plain cardboard package, which is fine.

But the grills/vents on the side now protrude out a few more mm, and the size of the slats is a bit thicker.

Just wondering if that would affect the sound or if it's just a structural thing,

Old on the left vs new on the right and the newer one is raised though you cant see it here because of the angle.

Did you notice any significant difference in sound?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #4,702 of 4,987

20220825_023808.jpg

Isn't the new one ur pertaining to the stealth version perhaps? Supposedly they did a refresh of the Anandas just a few months back if im not mistaken

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,703 of 4,987
Did you notice any significant difference in sound?
I do feel theres a difference in sound but I understand it could just be placebo. It sounds like theres more bass but it's less textured and more airiness but a bit more harsh.

Or it could be more break in time will change the sound.
Isn't the new one ur pertaining to the stealth version perhaps? Supposedly they did a refresh of the Anandas just a few months back if im not mistaken
The first one I had was a stealth too. It just seems to be a general running change over their whole line with the new boxes, and slightly more raised and 'fat' grill

I'll also add the new one seems better built than the old one ever was. The padding is more cushy and the unit itself feels more solid than any ananda I've ever touched up until this point. But somewhat contradictory is that it looks slightly cheaper. Something about the paint on the vents/grills gives the illusion they're more plasticky. (But they're not, I checked)

Edit: Update to this, I have a friend who has the traditional anandas, so I went over there to compare.

Me and him could both hear the same differences I was stating above between the 2, tho he likened it to 'less sub bass, more bass,' instead of my words of more bass but less texture. Same comments on the highs. And I didnt tell him my feelings before I got his. Gonna return it and try for another.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #4,704 of 4,987
Has anyone tried removing the cloth at the back of the drivers? Any noticeable difference? I ask as i have had good results with my previous hifiman hps. Was wanting to do it to my ananda as well but don't know how to open them😀

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #4,705 of 4,987
Has anyone tried removing the cloth at the back of the drivers? Any noticeable difference? I ask as i have had good results with my previous hifiman hps. Was wanting to do it to my ananda as well but don't know how to open them😀
You can only remove the rear shutter by opening the front of the can. I know this from doing the same with my HEX v2 (the immediate precursor of the Ananda) - in order to remove the shutters themselves.

On the way - the very thin internal cable broke off from the driver. I am and was very careful and it still went. It's probably 24 GA which is tres delicate. Big mistake to go up to say 18 GA (3 X the circumference) because you'd need maybe 3 seconds to melt the solder which would probably melt the Mylar at the contact point. It should be a mechanical connection IMO but thin wire and 1 second of the iron is what they went for. Concerned yet?

Another problem is how integrated the fabric is on the long cups - nothing like the simplicity of the round cups (see pic). If you try to rip the fabric from the backside You won't get it all and you may damage the mounting it sits on - which in some cases could rip the mylar or have the broken end sit on the Mylar and vibrate when played. Even if it works: my other work with round cup HFM cans indicate that the presence or absence of the cloth on the back side makes no sonic difference, plus your resale gets more problematic.

Bass is what can affect the driver - cloth is not a factor - it's the metal. For round cups for sure decreasing the metal and increasing the open space of the rear screen is the ticket.

For the shutters removed - less bass, more EQ needed. Somewhat less smearing of things like wood block strikes, but some perceive that as more depth - not to me. In a large room with good diffusion the delay of initial note and the later reflections is similar to a live performance in a fine hall. But in a headphone that delay is so short it's not like a Hall - it is smearing of an initial note and the early reflection, and there may be nulls created as well - also amusical.

I wish I didn't go in to my HEX v2 for practical reasons, I learned enough to not do it again.

BTW, the fabric does a fine job protecting the innards after the shutters are gone - but of course they look awful and sound a hair better and need EQ more than before.

Attachments

• 20220212_213245_HDR~2.jpg
    20220212_213245_HDR~2.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #4,706 of 4,987
These headphones are amazing. I listen to classical music on them and the sound is crystal clear and makes you feel like you are in the room with the musicians. Subtle sounds and tone colors that I did not hear before are made apparent. The large oval-shaped cushions are like wearing soft waffles that you can easily extend or make shorter, although the long length of each headphone presses a little uncomfortably on my jaw and they are a bit tight on my big head. Besides that I highly recommend them.

Sep 9, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #4,707 of 4,987
These headphones are amazing. I listen to classical music on them and the sound is crystal clear and makes you feel like you are in the room with the musicians. Subtle sounds and tone colors that I did not hear before are made apparent. The large oval-shaped cushions are like wearing soft waffles that you can easily extend or make shorter, although the long length of each headphone presses a little uncomfortably on my jaw and they are a bit tight on my big head. Besides that I highly recommend them.
Yes, classical music, specially big ensembles sound excellent on them.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #4,708 of 4,987
To me, and this is very personal, the Ananda is the best headphone I own (even compared with my ex HD800) - it's not honeymoon, I've owned them for a year now. I love everything about it - without EQ and with Zen Dac V2 bass boost sometimes (just shines).

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #4,709 of 4,987
To me, and this is very personal, the Ananda is the best headphone I own (even compared with my ex HD800) - it's not honeymoon, I've owned them for a year now. I love everything about it - without EQ and with Zen Dac V2 bass boost sometimes (just shines).
+1 I tried numerous headphones during this year / last year and always decided to stick with Ananda. Not that for example Meze Liric is not technically better, it is. But the improvement is not worth the money, IHMO. DCA Stealth - excellent achievement, but the level of excitement is not there. And so on...

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #4,710 of 4,987
Thinking of paring my Anandas with a Schiit Asgard. Does anyone have experience with this set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back