Hifiman Ananda
Dec 4, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #4,726 of 4,987
It's the opposite. More gap, more bass. Try to play some of your favorite songs while manipulating headphones by hands - partially lifting up from perfect seal. By this, I found my specific positioning to get best bass from Anandas. I let them sit on my forehead, leaving singificant gaps beneath ears. I think it works like kind of bassreflex port in speakers.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #4,727 of 4,987
It's the opposite. More gap, more bass. Try to play some of your favorite songs while manipulating headphones by hands - partially lifting up from perfect seal. By this, I found my specific positioning to get best bass from Anandas. I let them sit on my forehead, leaving singificant gaps beneath ears. I think it works like kind of bassreflex port in speakers.

Ahhhh okay, thank you, Ill try that next time. With the gap/more bass due to the gap, would I be losing something as some sort of trade off?

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #4,728 of 4,987
Ahhhh okay, thank you, Ill try that next time. With the gap/more bass due to the gap, would I be losing something as some sort of trade off?
Sure it's always trade-off. But certainly positive from my subjective point of view. You have to judge it yourself, everybody hears it different.
Alternatively I tried Oratory1990 EQ setting, which also adds some portion of bass, but the character of bass notes is more natural without EQ and with my specific seating on the forehead.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #4,729 of 4,987
With the arya you have less of a problem with that because, because you are able to move the cups horizontal and vertical. With the Ananda you can’t one the few real negative comment I can give about them. Especially compared to headphones of a 100 bucks that even have frealy movable cups. But thatms how they want to make a difference compared tot the arya I guess, because the Ananda breaths in the neck of the Arya regarding sound quality (especially the stealth version)

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #4,730 of 4,987
Appreciate the information.

One interesting thing I noticed was the retrieval on them. I was listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and at around the 2:07 mark there is static I have never heard before. I did some research (googling) and it was an issue that occurred during the mix… that said, I will not not that song again 🙂

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #4,732 of 4,987
because the Ananda breaths in the neck of the Arya regarding sound quality (especially the stealth version)
I dunno about this. I own both and to me, there's a pretty clear delineation between the OG Ananda and Arya Stealths (I own both) - especially with bass depth and punch, overall detail, imaging, layering, timbre/tonality, and those oh-so delectable trailing edges. As I said: To me - and IMO.....

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #4,733 of 4,987
I dunno about this. I own both and to me, there's a pretty clear delineation between the OG Ananda and Arya Stealths (I own both) - especially with bass depth and punch, overall detail, imaging, layering, timbre/tonality, and those oh-so delectable trailing edges. As I said: To me - and IMO.....
I second that. Especially as you use better source and amp, the difference increases.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #4,736 of 4,987
So I pulled the trigger and bought the Ananda SE straight from HiFiMan. Took advantage of the New Years Sale and picked up a pair of B-Stock for $510! Still breaking them in, on hour 4, but I must say that they look flawless and probably have not been used much, if at all. The headband and ear pads are similar to my Sundara, meaning they will both soften up and become more cushy in time. As for clamp force, yeah, it's tight, and I have a small-ish head. I am sure they will loosen up through use, and I do plan on stretching them on the included stand + some padding. As for the sound, wow are these some warm, relaxed HiFiMan's, and a big step up from the Sundara in resolve and soundstage though not quite as dynamic. I will evaluate and report back after about 100 hours of breaking in the Ananda SE.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #4,737 of 4,987
So I pulled the trigger and bought the Ananda SE straight from HiFiMan. Took advantage of the New Years Sale and picked up a pair of B-Stock for $510! Still breaking them in, on hour 4, but I must say that they look flawless and probably have not been used much, if at all. The headband and ear pads are similar to my Sundara, meaning they will both soften up and become more cushy in time. As for clamp force, yeah, it's tight, and I have a small-ish head. I am sure they will loosen up through use, and I do plan on stretching them on the included stand + some padding. As for the sound, wow are these some warm, relaxed HiFiMan's, and a big step up from the Sundara in resolve and soundstage though not quite as dynamic. I will evaluate and report back after about 100 hours of breaking in the Ananda SE.
I audited both the arya and ananda, both amazing, the arya won form me in comfort and sound, but ananda perfect headphone for it’s price, and will get better after 30/40 hours.
The burn in changes are not night and day but mostly in the details.

I do advice to get some decent cables, I was really sceptical in the shop regarding cables, but they did matter (did blind test).
The one’s that sounded the nicest was forza audioworks and the thicker lyric cable for meze (is brownish). I think what it mostly had to do with was the thicker cable.

For me it was shocking, because I was in the park of ‘bull!’ cables don’t matter that much… still some what confused about that with my technical background (how!!??)

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #4,738 of 4,987
I audited both the arya and ananda, both amazing, the arya won form me in comfort and sound, but ananda perfect headphone for it’s price, and will get better after 30/40 hours.
The burn in changes are not night and day but mostly in the details.

I do advice to get some decent cables, I was really sceptical in the shop regarding cables, but they did matter (did blind test).
The one’s that sounded the nicest was forza audioworks and the thicker lyric cable for meze (is brownish). I think what it mostly had to do with was the thicker cable.

For me it was shocking, because I was in the park of ‘bull!’ cables don’t matter that much… still some what confused about that with my technical background (how!!??)

I wanted to purchase the Arya, but couldn't justify the 2x price, especially since many trusted reviewers say the Anandas are "almost there" in regards to matching performance, though I would prefer the Arya's headband and if/when possible I will buy one from HiFiMan to swap with the Ananda's.
Already have a pure-silver 4-core aftermarket cable and 8-core litz weave OCC cable, both I use with my Sundara, and yes cables absolutely DO MATTER! 😎🤟

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #4,739 of 4,987
I wanted to purchase the Arya, but couldn't justify the 2x price, especially since many trusted reviewers say the Anandas are "almost there" in regards to matching performance, though I would prefer the Arya's headband and if/when possible I will buy one from HiFiMan to swap with the Ananda's.
Already have a pure-silver 4-core aftermarket cable and 8-core litz weave OCC cable, both I use with my Sundara, and yes cables absolutely DO MATTER! 😎🤟
I agree, it is double the price. I had that problem when I got my first martin logan’s, 10 years ago you had the advantage and the summit, the summit didn’t sound twice as good, but was 7800 euro more expensive a pair. So couldn’t effort it. They sounded better though, but a little.

But in this case it was doable (is it fully justifyable? in hifi that is always a discussion hahaha). For me it was a combination the comfort, regarding my jaw did the final push. With the ananda I was constantly trying to find a comfortable place on my head. Arya was spot on, right away for me.

If Ananda did have the same comfort, I might have chosen the Ananda, I figure Hifiman knows that too for sure. (Lucky bastards that didn’t have the jaw issue like I had 😂)

And cable mattered yes, he had a few aftermarket cables, he had me listened to one, he even didn’t sell himself. That was the noir hybrid from ‘forza fireworks’ cable was a little heavier, but kept going back and back to that cable. Know talking about it I still think Wt f 😳. Makes me rethink the whole cable storie regarding my hifiset, eventhough they are good cables.

So ordered myself a Noir hybrid from forza fireworks.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4,740 of 4,987
Hey guys, I know it is not about Ananda, but I need some help over here..
I have bought Edition XS's around 3 months ago, but had to send them back because one of the earcups randomly stopped working properly and became insanely quiet (couldn't hear anything basically), so I sent them back.
The problem is now.. I legitimately don't know what to get rn, I loved them so much. They were perfect in every matter (what mattered to me). I am kind of afraid to go with HiFiman as of now, as good amount of reviews on amazon where I bought them mentioned the faulty pairs which were sent back.
So my question would be: what are the most similar headphones in terms of soundstage, imaging and tonality at similar price point? Has to be similarly comfy (or better :D). I know that the detail retrieval and overall clarity is somewhat around the best in sub 500€, so I don't expect the alternatives to be same/better. Slightly worse is fine with me, as it is not my main aspect for purchase. I'm not a professional. I just enjoy the music and spend a lot of time with the headphone on.
And yes I know.. Ananda is like the closest compromise, but its +200€ and unfortunately I can't afford that as of now. I didn't like Sundara that much and the HD650's/HD660s's.
Would BD DT 1990 pro suffice? AT R70X?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back