Hifiman Ananda
Jan 24, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #4,758 of 4,987
Let me add my experience with Hifiman customer service. Once my cable for HE6se V2 stopped working in one canal. After I contacted Hifiman support, they just ask me for actual photo of cutted or destroyed broken cable (to prevent liars asking for new cables) and they send me new one without any hesitation. Then I had crackling issue with EF400. After I contacted Hifiman support, they just ask for a few details and as they found out no error from my side, they sent me new unit again without any hesitation. And I had also a nice conversations with Hifiman employees during last year Munich show. They were very supportive and friendly. So my experience with Hifiman support or employees was super smooth. I will not be afraid to buy from them anytime again. Their build quality may not be the best in the show, but their sound is definitely on of the best and thats what count most for me.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #4,759 of 4,987
Hey guys, I know it is not about Ananda, but I need some help over here..
I have bought Edition XS's around 3 months ago, but had to send them back because one of the earcups randomly stopped working properly and became insanely quiet (couldn't hear anything basically), so I sent them back.
The problem is now.. I legitimately don't know what to get rn, I loved them so much. They were perfect in every matter (what mattered to me). I am kind of afraid to go with HiFiman as of now, as good amount of reviews on amazon where I bought them mentioned the faulty pairs which were sent back.
So my question would be: what are the most similar headphones in terms of soundstage, imaging and tonality at similar price point? Has to be similarly comfy (or better :D). I know that the detail retrieval and overall clarity is somewhat around the best in sub 500€, so I don't expect the alternatives to be same/better. Slightly worse is fine with me, as it is not my main aspect for purchase. I'm not a professional. I just enjoy the music and spend a lot of time with the headphone on.
And yes I know.. Ananda is like the closest compromise, but its +200€ and unfortunately I can't afford that as of now. I didn't like Sundara that much and the HD650's/HD660s's.
Would BD DT 1990 pro suffice? AT R70X?
Thank you.
My 2 cents, the Edition XS is a great headphone period. Sorry you had a bad experience. But, they were under warranty. I would give HiFiMan the chance to make it right and repair or replace them. If they were all this bad they'd be out of business. You got a weak specimen. And if they go bad under warranty again, I'd even give them a third chance until you get a good one. The XS is so good they're worth the hassle. I've had my Edition XX for 4 years now without any issues. There are many satisfied HifFiman owners out there without any problems whatsoever. If you get a bad specimen, it'll go bad sooner rather than later.

Jan 28, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #4,760 of 4,987
Last night I sat down and was intent on an evening of getting to know the Ananda on a more intimate level (coffee, spliff, and after the animals go to bed). The problem was after 15 minutes I had to take them off. The clamping force and pad stiffness was simply too much. My solution was to take one of my dummy heads and stretch the headband out by putting a pair of plush Brainwavz AKG pads in between the Ananda's overnight. The result was a significant decrease in clamping force and the pads do seem a touch softer as they no longer irritate the back of my ears where the ends of my glassed poke out. I am going to keep stretching the band out when not in use until I achieve optimum clamping force.
You could have also simply gently un-bent the metal headband with your hands. That would be fastest, easiest, and most precise way to relieve the clamping force......
My 2 cents, the Edition XS is a great headphone period. Sorry you had a bad experience. But, they were under warranty. I would give HiFiMan the chance to make it right and repair or replace them. If they were all this bad they'd be out of business. You got a weak specimen. And if they go bad under warranty again, I'd even give them a third chance until you get a good one. The XS is so good they're worth the hassle. I've had my Edition XX for 4 years now without any issues. There are many satisfied HifFiman owners out there without any problems whatsoever. If you get a bad specimen, it'll go bad sooner rather than later.
This^^^. If they're defective from the factory, they'll usually go bad within the burn in/play in phase.....

Jan 28, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4,761 of 4,987
You could have also simply gently un-bent the metal headband with your hands. That would be fastest, easiest, and most precise way to relieve the clamping force......

This^^^. If they're defective from the factory, they'll usually go bad within the burn in/play in phase.....
With all do respect the bending was not enough, not even close! I changed to Arya and never look back, very very comfy

Is that annoying? I agree, because the Ananda for it’s money a real good price/performance ratio. I guess Hifiman knows that as well. So the comfort headband etc… wil stay on Arya, not on Ananda. The Ananda litely hurted me, nomather what I tried, Arya Never

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #4,762 of 4,987
With all do respect the bending was not enough, not even close! I changed to Arya and never look back, very very comfy

Is that annoying? I agree, because the Ananda for it’s money a real good price/performance ratio. I guess Hifiman knows that as well. So the comfort headband etc… wil stay on Arya, not on Ananda. The Ananda litely hurted me, nomather what I tried, Arya Never
Hahaha! I did nearly the same thing. Once I heard the Ananda, I couldn't resist finding out what the Arya sounded like, LOL. I bought the Arya v2 less than 6 months afterwards and now have both the Ananda and Arya Stealths. The Arya is an all-around better and more complete HP, IMO......

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #4,763 of 4,987
I love my Ananda, my first audiophile headphone...listening to it now on Liquid Gold X and its heavenly. I had upgraded to better headphones like Utopia but still find Ananda's sound more wholesome and balanced...

But I had been thinking of upgrading recently and is looking at either HEK SE or Final Audio D8000/Pro, anyone also made similar choice?
Thanks!

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #4,764 of 4,987
I love my Ananda, my first audiophile headphone...listening to it now on Liquid Gold X and its heavenly. I had upgraded to better headphones like Utopia but still find Ananda's sound more wholesome and balanced...

But I had been thinking of upgrading recently and is looking at either HEK SE or Final Audio D8000/Pro, anyone also made similar choice?
Thanks!
If you have the disposable income and the curiosity, I don't see why you shouldn't explore the deep end of this hobby. The reason I have the Anandas is I upgraded from the Sundaras, which were an upgrade from Sennheiser 6XXes. I would bet the law of diminishing returns is in full effect though at some level of price. Oh, and remember to use the gear to listen to music, not the other way around. Good luck! :L3000:

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #4,765 of 4,987
So I recently traded up my b-stock Ananda stealth edition for some open box Arya stealth edition through HFM and they finally arrived this week. Having falling in love with the Ananda so quickly and reading so many positive reviews of the Ayra, I thought that an upgrade to the Arya would just provide me even more of the Ananda goodness, but now I'm not so sure. Playing the Arya via Qobuz -> Eastern Electric Minimax DAC -> Burson Soloist. The Soloist was a recent upgrade from an OG Schiit Magni and the Ananda's had never been played through it so maybe some of what I'm hearing is due to that change as well and I do plan to try the Arya on the Magni as well soon. All listening is done without any EQ being applied and I'm all over the map in terms of what I like to listen to musically.

Initially, I felt like there was something potentially wrong with the Arya when they first arrived as the bass was not very impressive, the highs were a little piercing and the midrange seemed recessed. After maybe 8 hours of listening with the Arya, that impression changed though as the bass became much more noticeable and it felt like the sound just opened up more. (Not sure if this is due to just becoming more accustomed to the sound of the headphone in general or some sort of mechanical "burn in" happening.) Probably have 40 hours on them now and here are my pros and cons vs Ananda so far keeping in mind I'm not nearly as good as many of you when trying to explain what I'm hearing.

Pros:
-Better comfort than Ananda with the ear cups having the ability to swivel. (At least on my head anyway.) Ananda clamp at times was a bit much on my jaw.
-Deeper bass than Ananda. It really can at times feel like you are listening to a subwoofer for as low as these seem to play and sometimes the bass presents like this HUGE wall.
-More bass impact than Ananda. Having listened to the Audeze LCD-X recently as well they are not in the same league as those, but it's more noticeable over Ananda.
-Easier to pick out individual instruments in the music mix vs. Ananda. If you want to focus on a particular instrument being played within a band this makes it much easier.
-Soundstage seems a smidge wider, but I'd say they are fairly close. (This is one of the reasons I really enjoy HFM.......the presentation is so different from my previous headphones in that it feels more like listening to speakers and not just music shot directly into your ear canal.)

Cons:
-Cost vs. Ananda
-The treble presented at times feels a little shrill vs. Ananda. Couple of wince moments through tracks which I don't recall experiencing with Ananda.
-The recessed midrange I spoke of earlier. Now I'm realizing it's not so much recessed as it's more that both the treble and the bass has increased over the Ananda and so the midrange feels less prominent in the overall mix.
-My largest con so far is that I feel like the presentation through the Ayra is a bit more "dry" than the Ananda for lack of a better term. I feel less emotionally engaged to the music despite there being more information presented. Hoping that perhaps with further burn in this will change or perhaps my listening sessions so far I've just not had the right frame of mind to sink into the music.

I'd be curious if any of you may have felt the same way about the perceived sense of loss of engagement to the music with the Arya vs Ananda if you also made the upgrade.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #4,766 of 4,987
-My largest con so far is that I feel like the presentation through the Ayra is a bit more "dry" than the Ananda for lack of a better term. I feel less emotionally engaged to the music despite there being more information presented. Hoping that perhaps with further burn in this will change or perhaps my listening sessions so far I've just not had the right frame of mind to sink into the music.

I'd be curious if any of you may have felt the same way about the perceived sense of loss of engagement to the music with the Arya vs Ananda if you also made the upgrade.
Yes. I had exactly the same feeling. In my words the Arya SM was a bit more "clinical" and "analytical" and the Ananda SM had more "soul"...

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #4,767 of 4,987
Yes. I had exactly the same feeling. In my words the Arya SM was a bit more "clinical" and "analytical" and the Ananda SM had more "soul"...
Don’t forget really uncomfortable, the Ananda is. But they both sound good in their own way, but analitical is not the right word for Arya SM with a decent amp, it is really smooth and detailed. With a too weak amp it sounds thin yes

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #4,770 of 4,987
Thanks. I can't imagine the Burson being too "weak".
I wasn’t talking in your specific situation, mostly in general.

But it is still a subjective taste, I was missing details in voice and jazz instruments on the Ananda. Not saying it sounded bad, but Arya wins in thar regards. My experience the Arya is still smooth but more detailled (not everyone likes that)

I did hear the Arya in the burson 3x reference, the sound was amazing!, on lower burson models I did not like the Arya at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back