Hifiman Ananda
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #406 of 4,987
As with nearly every headphone. Value will drop with time. And be cheaper on the used market.

It was seen, as a sale. It's msrp is still at $500 for the Sundara, but discounts exist everywhere. Campfire Andromeda were available for $900 for a while on headphones.com. Audio 46 gives 10% off.

Of course they lowered the price of their other headphones. They need to keep pricing in line with their current releases. Who would pay the original $1800 for a HeX V2 when the Ananda is $1000? It's all relative and a good thing on their part. Don't hold your breath. But if you really want to and you think it's worth it to wait a year for something you want now for the price to maybe drop 10% then go for it. I'd rather have what I want, now. The ananda offers great value if it's being compared to the Focal Clear, HD800S, ZMF Auteur, etc.

I'm retired, so usually I sell stuff off to partially finance my new purchases. I have a few cans I'll try here and my continued vinyl sales on discogs - I'll probably transact during Q4 for these or the HE-6.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #407 of 4,987
Today I bought an Audio-GD NFB 28.38 for the Ananda. I play single ended with the short cable, but I will modify the long cable to balanced XLR. This amp is a great match. It is a neutral but very musical combo. Solid but controlled bass, natural mids en clean highs. I tried this amp with several headphones. With the HD800, AEON Flow Closed, T5p you hear left en right a bit separated but with the Ananda it is so cohesive! This could be an endgame :wink:

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #408 of 4,987
Today I bought an Audio-GD NFB 28.38 for the Ananda. I play single ended with the short cable, but I will modify the long cable to balanced XLR. This amp is a great match. It is a neutral but very musical combo. Solid but controlled bass, natural mids en clean highs. I tried this amp with several headphones. With the HD800, AEON Flow Closed, T5p you hear left en right a bit separated but with the Ananda it is so cohesive! This could be an endgame :wink:

I love the 28.38 with planars! Glad to know Ananda fits the trend of pairing nicely with the Audio-gd.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #409 of 4,987
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #411 of 4,987
Looking for sound comparison since they are about the same price. Ed x. Vs ananda
For ME Ananda better. Similr but better for me for these differences:

Sound more coherent/even - the difference was prevalent in the upper mids. A friend described the es x v2 in this regard as a little “smoke and mirrors” whcih i took as it was a little forced or unnatural. A little. I agree.

Slightly smoother upper end

I would easily pay the extra $100 (even if i had to save up) (or $200 unless i was really toght on funds) for the ananda

Ive owned the ananda for 3.5 weeks and been using it with a cayin iha6 amp. I only demoed the ed x 3 or 4 tines for a total of about 2-3 hours with various gear including questyle cma 600i

The ananda is well/fairly priced

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #412 of 4,987
Looking for sound comparison since they are about the same price. Ed x. Vs ananda

I gave a pretty extensive comparison earlier in this thread already. They’re both great, but I like the Edition X V2 more. I like that the earcups swivel and I like the smoother treble. There’s an 8K peak on the Ananda that is easily heard. It’s not sibilant, but it’s noticeable on many tracks.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #413 of 4,987
I gave a pretty extensive comparison earlier in this thread already. They’re both great, but I like the Edition X V2 more. I like that the earcups swivel and I like the smoother treble. There’s an 8K peak on the Ananda that is easily heard. It’s not sibilant, but it’s noticeable on many tracks.
I agree that it would be better if the Ananda swivelled or moved a littlw more (like the elears). And i think i agree on the treble on the ananda - that there is a bit more up there and its not sibilant.

The only thing i dont agree with is your choice :) as my preferences lie on the other side

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #414 of 4,987
I agree that it would be better if the Ananda swivelled or moved a littlw more (like the elears). And i think i agree on the treble on the ananda - that there is a bit more up there and its not sibilant.

The only thing i dont agree with is your choice :) as my preferences lie on the other side

Fair enough. They’re both fantastic!

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #415 of 4,987
can anyone please compare the sound of the Ananda to the sound of Campfire Andromeda or Atlas...i am debating whether to get Ananda or iem. Looking for excellent soundstage out of head sound with good width and depth for portable use.

Currently have D7200 and Focal Clear

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #417 of 4,987
Easiest to drive to hardest:

Ananda -> Clear -> 800S

Can you please compare the sound of the Focal Clear to the Hifiman Ananda, I am also looking for another full size with a different sound. Bigger soundstage, more out of head sounding and lush female vocals. The Clear although very good neutral and clear sounding, I hope to have a different one where the vocals will sound warmer and lush and with bigger width and depth soundstage. Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #418 of 4,987
If you have the Clear I would get the Andromeda for portable use.

Thanks, I will consider the andro for portable use.

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #419 of 4,987
Can you please compare the sound of the Focal Clear to the Hifiman Ananda, I am also looking for another full size with a different sound. Bigger soundstage, more out of head sounding and lush female vocals. The Clear although very good neutral and clear sounding, I hope to have a different one where the vocals will sound warmer and lush and with bigger width and depth soundstage. Thanks

Thanks Bro, you have made it clear to me that I should probably steer clear of the Clear! :smile_phones:

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #420 of 4,987
Thanks Bro, you have made it clear to me that I should probably steer clear of the Clear! :smile_phones:

Well IMHO the Clear is great sounding if you like neutral sound. To me, Denon D7200 is super good sounding headphone compared to the Focal Clear. After burn in, D7200 has good detail, Mids are bit lush, good width soundstage compared to Focal Clear and its also got some depth in the vocals (Clear has like no depth at all, very in the head sounding) . When I A/B D7200 and Clear, i believe they are on par or sometimes the D7200 sounds better to me because its got more bass and lusher mids and bigger soundstage. One thing though, the D7200 is like less than half the price of the Clear. I don't know, I still like the Clear as a whole package (extra cables and awesome carry case), because of the neutral very clear sounding signature and the luxurious materials and very lux looks, looks worth its price. So you can say the Clear is natural, but after a while for me, I get tired of the signature, I want more pleasing sounding signature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back