Hifiman Ananda
Mar 1, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #3,256 of 4,987
Are you using Ananda with the stock cable or with an aftermarket upgrade cable?

I read many pages of the thread and several users after trying different cables said that the stock one offered the best quality sound.
I got my Anandas today and I have been listening for last hour or two. I bought an aftermarket cable ahead of time because I wanted 4 pin XLR so I decided to A/B test the cable. I really don't hear much if any difference in sound with the 2 cables. If anything, I like the after market cable better. But that may be confirmation bias. I give them a push in terms of sound quality. I doubt I would be able to pick out the cables in a blind test and I have a pretty good ear. What I can say is that the stock Ananda cable is the cheapest looking cable in all of the headphones I own. I would have replaced it no matter what because it is so cheap looking and feels like it is covered with plastic straw material.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #3,257 of 4,987
Okay. I need a few days listening to the Anandas, but here are my initial impressions. First, they are very comfortable. I heard they look cheap, but they aren't that bad and they are very very comfortable headphones. My other headphones are HD600, HD650, HD800S, and ZMF Vertie Closed. I bought the Anandas because I wanted to hear what planar magnetic headphones sound like. This one has a great reputation, so I got it. The best attribute of these headphones is their tone and balance. They sound really good out of the box. The sound stage does feel a bit narrow relative to the HD800S and VC. And, it doesn't have the detail nor resolution of either, but they sound really really good. Nothing sounds too forward to me. Male vocals seem to lack a bit of clarity. I am currently pairing them with a Hugo 2, but I will roll my sources later. I will also EQ them to see if I can get more clarity in vocals. The other thing I noticed right away is that the timbre is off a bit. Relative to my dynamic driver headphones, the timbre is less natural sounding. More later.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #3,259 of 4,987
You could eq it, if that isn't an option. Serious sub bass with the Ananda tonality is tough. There is the Fostex TH900 which has the best bass I've heard on a dynamic driver headphone, but it has a different tonality and being dynamic, doesn't have the same quality you may enjoy about the planar. Another option is Audeze for bass but again tonality is completely different. I use Xbass on my ifi device with the Ananda.
So you applied and eq to your and it turned out well? I just purchased the xDuoo XD05 and I'm thinking about adding the xDuoo X10T II. One of the main reasons is because it has an eq built in and I'm thinking it gives good performance. I'm still reading up on it. I don't expect headshaking sub bass. I just want maybe twice what I'm getting now. I have no way to adjust for sub bass right now btw, so it's just playing flat.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #3,260 of 4,987
I tend to doubt hifiman would ship headphones without cables that sufficiently demonstrate the quality of the sound
It seems to me a fair observation.

Also, as I said, I read several pages of the thread and found comparisons between stock cables and much more expensive upgrade cables, with some users claiming that the stock cable gave the ideal sound.

Many could be influenced by the aesthetics of the stock cable.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,261 of 4,987
So you applied and eq to your and it turned out well? I just purchased the xDuoo XD05 and I'm thinking about adding the xDuoo X10T II. One of the main reasons is because it has an eq built in and I'm thinking it gives good performance. I'm still reading up on it. I don't expect headshaking sub bass. I just want maybe twice what I'm getting now. I have no way to adjust for sub bass right now btw, so it's just playing flat.
I use Xbass which elevates sub bass by 5db, worked out great. The Ananda has awesome extension, a certain quality to it's sub bass but I wanted just a bit more quantity. I think your xd05 has a bass boost feature as well, you could try that.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #3,262 of 4,987
This is the problem I'm having with my Anandas. I've only had them for about 3 months and I want more sub bass than they're giving me. It makes them sound thin, at times, when I know there is sub bass there. I purchased them because of reading reviews of how detailed the were and fantastic bass. I haven't tried eqing them yet and you're telling me that it won't help. I think I may sell mine. Do you know of a headphone where I can get everything else the Anandas do but add more sub bass?
I am experienced in using Equalizer APO for EQing headphones. Yesterday, I loaded the AutoEQ parametric settings for Ananda and they did not sound better. The standard tuning is better to my ears. In addition, what I like to do is add a 100hz bass shelf to my other headphones so that I can increase the subbass. When I did this to the Anandas, they did not respond well. Technically, they are incapable of being bass cannons. I love the sound of the Anandas. They are very pleasant. I think they are an upgrade to the HD600/650 even though I haven't done an A/B test. But, I find myself wanting a headphone with same tonality, but better technical attributes. I am thinking that an Arya tuned to the Ananda FR curve would be a fantastic listen.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3,263 of 4,987
I tend to doubt hifiman would ship headphones without cables that sufficiently demonstrate the quality of the sound
The stock cable sounds fine. It's just cheap looking and for that reason and that reason alone, I would replace it.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,264 of 4,987
RE: the cable of the Ananda. Let's face it - the thing is just visionary. I'm kidding of course. We are just slightly off put by the feeling of it and the negative association to latex haha. I will say mine doesn't kink ever.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #3,266 of 4,987
Do they have the same tonality as the Ananda? What do you think about the Quads?
I don't know but it's very likely that they sound closer to the Ananda tonality wise than other headphones do.

If you say you want to get everything that Ananda offers and additionaly improve on Anandas weaknesses i see no other way than going up the ladder to Hifiman flagships. Sidegrading may give you better subbass for example on Audezes but you will lose Anandas excellent tonality and balance.

Personally the only two sub 1k planars i'd consider are Ananda and LCD2C. But i'm not that experienced with planars.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,267 of 4,987
I am experienced in using Equalizer APO for EQing headphones. Yesterday, I loaded the AutoEQ parametric settings for Ananda and they did not sound better. The standard tuning is better to my ears. In addition, what I like to do is add a 100hz bass shelf to my other headphones so that I can increase the subbass. When I did this to the Anandas, they did not respond well. Technically, they are incapable of being bass cannons. I love the sound of the Anandas. They are very pleasant. I think they are an upgrade to the HD600/650 even though I haven't done an A/B test. But, I find myself wanting a headphone with same tonality, but better technical attributes. I am thinking that an Arya tuned to the Ananda FR curve would be a fantastic listen.
Thank you so much for you insight on these headphones. I love everything about them but the sub bass. You have saved me some money because I was about to purchase another DAP to add to my portable amp. I think I will sell these instead. Anyone interested? Flawless condition. Probably just fully broken in.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #3,268 of 4,987
I don't know but it's very likely that they sound closer to the Ananda tonality wise than other headphones do.

If you say you want to get everything that Ananda offers and additionaly improve on Anandas weaknesses i see no other way than going up the ladder to Hifiman flagships. Sidegrading may give you better subbass for example on Audezes but you will lose Anandas excellent tonality and balance.

Personally the only two sub 1k planars i'd consider are Ananda and LCD2C. But i'm not that experienced with planars.
I'm not experienced in the planar area either. Only other ones I owned were The HiFiMan 400i's.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #3,269 of 4,987
I use Xbass which elevates sub bass by 5db, worked out great. The Ananda has awesome extension, a certain quality to it's sub bass but I wanted just a bit more quantity. I think your xd05 has a bass boost feature as well, you could try that.
I tried the bass boost on it and it's more of a mid bass boost to me. It sounds better with it off. You're right. I can hear the extension, just not the quantity that I want. What's xbass? Is it a program on a computer? I'm not using mine with the computer. I'm really thinking about buying the xDuoo X10T II because it has an eq built into it and I'm thinking the performance will be pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back