Hifiman Ananda
Feb 27, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,242 of 4,987
Are you using Ananda with the stock cable or with an aftermarket upgrade cable?

I read many pages of the thread and several users after trying different cables said that the stock one offered the best quality sound.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #3,243 of 4,987
Are you using Ananda with the stock cable or with an aftermarket upgrade cable?

I read many pages of the thread and several users after trying different cables said that the stock one offered the best quality sound.
The stock cable is thin and lean in sound. Even a $58 Periapt cable sounds way better. Much fuller with much better bass response. Tonality much better.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #3,246 of 4,987
Run a blind test a few dozen times, with someone swapping back and forth between the cables while you are blindfolded, and see how often you get it right. My guess is that the number will be close to 50%. Until you do that, look up "confirmation bias".
I bet I could do it. It's not hard hearing the difference between cables, especially if it's a cheap one compared to a decent cable. Thing is, you don't have to try to listen for differences. You will just hear it.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,247 of 4,987
Ananda's are transparent, but lack bass impact and timbre. Setting the EQ doesn't fix it. If you like Steely Dan, Joe Jackson "Chinatown" and other clean and light pop gems with quick bass but missing the hammer - you are all set.
This is the problem I'm having with my Anandas. I've only had them for about 3 months and I want more sub bass than they're giving me. It makes them sound thin, at times, when I know there is sub bass there. I purchased them because of reading reviews of how detailed the were and fantastic bass. I haven't tried eqing them yet and you're telling me that it won't help. I think I may sell mine. Do you know of a headphone where I can get everything else the Anandas do but add more sub bass?

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,251 of 4,987
This is the problem I'm having with my Anandas. I've only had them for about 3 months and I want more sub bass than they're giving me. It makes them sound thin, at times, when I know there is sub bass there. I purchased them because of reading reviews of how detailed the were and fantastic bass. I haven't tried eqing them yet and you're telling me that it won't help. I think I may sell mine. Do you know of a headphone where I can get everything else the Anandas do but add more sub bass?
I'd look maybe for the HE1000 V2 or the Susvara? You won't find it in the same price category.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #3,253 of 4,987

You could eq it, if that isn't an option. Serious sub bass with the Ananda tonality is tough. There is the Fostex TH900 which has the best bass I've heard on a dynamic driver headphone, but it has a different tonality and being dynamic, doesn't have the same quality you may enjoy about the planar. Another option is Audeze for bass but again tonality is completely different. I use Xbass on my ifi device with the Ananda.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #3,254 of 4,987
I enjoyed added sub bass when listening balanced through the Liquid Carbon X.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #3,255 of 4,987
I love the Ananda but there is a peak in the high treble that I'm extremely sensitive to unfortunately so have to cut it down with EQ on a Loki or return. Prevents me from being able to turn up the volume where I want it to be for the rest of the frequency. Amazing sound though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back