Hifiman Ananda
Feb 10, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #3,196 of 4,987
Thanks for the advice so far.

I do agree with psycho-acoustics. It’s very likely that there will be perceived benefits from spending that much more.

The trouble is that I actually like the bass of the Ananda but it’s the treble peak which is giving me trouble. I also wonder if I perceive the bass to be lower than expected due to the fit as I have a rather small head.

So far my preference for change seems to be in the following order:
1. Headphone (pity as I really like Ananda)
2. DAC
3. Amp
From the equipment I have the tube rolling changes the characteristics of what I am hearing through the Ananda's more than some equipment changes. The variations can be small or a bit larger. Each tube pair has some difference in response for Bass, Mid, Treble, and vary the overall pleasantness of the sound - making the sound less/more stressful.

Moving from the A90 to the TA-20 has made a big difference for the emotional content delivered. So given your equipment is close to what I have, I'd recommend getting a Hybrid Tube AMP with a real power factor improvement - a large power supply to match the watts output. Without spending a bunch of $ the TA-20 is the only choice I can recommend right now. For $399 I don't know of another fully balanced choice to suggest.

The most different for me given I already had the D90 / A90 / TA-20 are the Ananda and HE6SE V2, those really rock with the TA-20 compared to the A90. A90 = analytical sound like the D90 MQA, so the TA-20 gives me the less sterile sound, and I like it.

The stock tubes are fine, if you want to keep costs down stick with the new manufacture tubes like the PSVANE 12AU7T MkII or 12AU7s Art Series, and a JJ Electronic ECC802s, SHUGUANG tubes are also good - that should be enough to start. tubedepot.com is a good store, as is vivatubes.com, tubemaze on ebay - or if you are comfortable with Aliexpress.com then fine the stores that have lots of followers and a good rating. NOS tubes are good but it took me several tries to get a great set - my first order from tubemaze on ebay, and here's a view of the history of the line:

TUNG-SOL 12AU7 USA - 1950's Black Glass

Those are hard to find and apparently usually don't test well, but this pair are golden - less noise than any other recent manufacture or NOS tube I've tried. I'm looking for more of them, none to be found...

For the shear power delivery I can recommend the HE6SE V2 from Adorama @ $699 ($1799), and the TA-20 delivers enough power for me right now, but I know that long term I'm going to want more than 2w to get the best from it so either a speaker AMP tap or the HE-Adapter with a tube speaker amp will be needed to round it out.

I also got an HD660s recently - the day before the Ananda, and for that single day I thought it was the best I'd heard yet, then the HE6SE V2 came the next day - WOW!, then the Ananda - WOW! again in a different way. So right now the Ananda is right up there at the top, you / I would have to spend a lot more to get another jump up in that WOW factor.

I have been talking with Kennerton about a new headphone, and after they heard I'd gotten the Ananda and HE6SE, they suggested the next step up was their Wodan, so maybe that will make you happy? Or, maybe the Thekk / Thror?

Kennerton Audio Equipment
https://kennerton.org/shop/headphones/

Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-odin-magister-vali-magni-gjallarhorn-rögnir-thridi-wodan-thekk-and-thror-discussion.732814/

I think if you give up the Ananda you'll eventually rebuy it later, at least I've heard of people doing that as many as several times.

Please let us know what you find that gives you what you are looking for in the Ananda's sound.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,197 of 4,987
Hi guys, i have the hipdac and sundara combo and like the sound very much. What i found is just the slight lack of bass. (sometimes i use the bass boost but mostly i rather dont, most of my songs are ok.)

Is the Ananda a better upgrade? I am asking because my gf likes my rig, so i'm planning of giving it to her and get the anandas and another hipdac or equivalent cheaper portable dac/amp for myself (tight budget).

Was thinking of getting an ifi idsd signature to fully flesh out my sundaras but my gf's interest in head-fi is a better investment haha.

It's either this or the new Goldplanar GL2000s but worried of the big change in sound sig.

I also have the Ananda and was looking at the Hip-dac. What seems to be the most liked/recommended portable amp/dac combo for these headphones in 2021 if I'm running them out of an Android phone? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #3,199 of 4,987
From the equipment I have the tube rolling changes the characteristics of what I am hearing through the Ananda's more than some equipment changes. The variations can be small or a bit larger. Each tube pair has some difference in response for Bass, Mid, Treble, and vary the overall pleasantness of the sound - making the sound less/more stressful.

Moving from the A90 to the TA-20 has made a big difference for the emotional content delivered. So given your equipment is close to what I have, I'd recommend getting a Hybrid Tube AMP with a real power factor improvement - a large power supply to match the watts output. Without spending a bunch of $ the TA-20 is the only choice I can recommend right now. For $399 I don't know of another fully balanced choice to suggest.

The most different for me given I already had the D90 / A90 / TA-20 are the Ananda and HE6SE V2, those really rock with the TA-20 compared to the A90. A90 = analytical sound like the D90 MQA, so the TA-20 gives me the less sterile sound, and I like it.

The stock tubes are fine, if you want to keep costs down stick with the new manufacture tubes like the PSVANE 12AU7T MkII or 12AU7s Art Series, and a JJ Electronic ECC802s, SHUGUANG tubes are also good - that should be enough to start. tubedepot.com is a good store, as is vivatubes.com, tubemaze on ebay - or if you are comfortable with Aliexpress.com then fine the stores that have lots of followers and a good rating. NOS tubes are good but it took me several tries to get a great set - my first order from tubemaze on ebay, and here's a view of the history of the line:

Those are hard to find and apparently usually don't test well, but this pair are golden - less noise than any other recent manufacture or NOS tube I've tried. I'm looking for more of them, none to be found...

For the shear power delivery I can recommend the HE6SE V2 from Adorama @ $699 ($1799), and the TA-20 delivers enough power for me right now, but I know that long term I'm going to want more than 2w to get the best from it so either a speaker AMP tap or the HE-Adapter with a tube speaker amp will be needed to round it out.

I also got an HD660s recently - the day before the Ananda, and for that single day I thought it was the best I'd heard yet, then the HE6SE V2 came the next day - WOW!, then the Ananda - WOW! again in a different way. So right now the Ananda is right up there at the top, you / I would have to spend a lot more to get another jump up in that WOW factor.

I have been talking with Kennerton about a new headphone, and after they heard I'd gotten the Ananda and HE6SE, they suggested the next step up was their Wodan, so maybe that will make you happy? Or, maybe the Thekk / Thror?

Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-odin-magister-vali-magni-gjallarhorn-rögnir-thridi-wodan-thekk-and-thror-discussion.732814/

I think if you give up the Ananda you'll eventually rebuy it later, at least I've heard of people doing that as many as several times.

Please let us know what you find that gives you what you are looking for in the Ananda's sound.

A big problem is that I don’t spend that many hours listening to music on my desktop rig to justify spending thousands on my headphone but I can’t shake my itch to have a good mid-fi rig 😫

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3,200 of 4,987
I used my Ananda with Alex Cavalli CTH initially. To me it sounded just ok, not the slightly warm character I was expecting. The Violectric has been a significant upgrade but I do appreciate the added cost.
A big problem is that I don’t spend that many hours listening to music on my desktop rig to justify spending thousands on my headphone but I can’t shake my itch to have a good mid-fi rig 😫
But, you've already spent $thousands going by the equipment you've said you have tried so far. The TA-20 is $400 + $50+$50 for tubes = $500...you could sell other equipment once you choose to keep the TA-20 - if you do - otherwise the TA-20 will sell well too.

Or just save up for a few months... maybe some new equipment will catch your eye down the road a bit too...

For me I also watch youtube + streaming movies with my headphone setup, so perhaps I see it a bit differently as it's my main set up for entertainment.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #3,201 of 4,987
But, you've already spent $thousands going by the equipment you've said you have tried so far. The TA-20 is $400 + $50+$50 for tubes = $500...you could sell other equipment once you choose to keep the TA-20 - if you do - otherwise the TA-20 will sell well too.

Or just save up for a few months... maybe some new equipment will catch your eye down the road a bit too...

For me I also watch youtube + streaming movies with my headphone setup, so perhaps I see it a bit differently as it's my main set up for entertainment.

You are right. My apologies. What I should have said instead is that I am not prepared to spend thousands of dollars on a headphone just yet because I simply don't have that much time to listen to them. However, I also have insight and I know that eventually, I convince myself to buy what I wanted in the first time anyway. Its only a matter of time before I give in! I might just lurk in the shadows in this and other forums to collect enough information to justify my upgrade...a classic defence mechanism of rationalisation!

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #3,202 of 4,987
For a good warm-ish sounding SS amp to pair with the Ananda, I highly recommend the RebelAmp.

I just got one delivered yesterday (so take this with a grain of salt!) and so far its synergy with the Ananda is quite something. It tames the treble, (almost in the same way a tube amp does, but without sacrificing much detail), adds some warmth to the already sweet-sounding midrange, and adds some good bass heft that I find the Ananda lacks. It also adds some wide open dynamic range that I hadn't heard on this headphone before.

The soundstage is pretty huge on this combo too, and holographic, though the depth is more one-dimensional than my Gilmore Lite mk2. Still, it's done in such an effortless and natural way I don't find myself caring at all. Basically, it plays to the strenghts of the Ananda while adding a lot of what it's missing IMO.

I actually wasn't listening to my Ananda at all after receiving the Aeolus a few weeks ago, but the RebelAmp is definitely making me enjoy it again!

Edit: Jezz this totally reads like an advertisement lol sorry!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #3,204 of 4,987
Received the CTH yesterday and was eager tot try it with the Ananda and Elear due to the lack of reviews about such mating, was worried about the Hybrid/Planar mating as well as the power ability of the CTH to drive the Ananda.
Although it's not fair to judge the CTH out of the box before the break-in period for either the amp or the tube but I was positively surprised. The sound came out smooth, rich and warm with full bass which I never thought the Ananda was capable of producing while also making the treble more polite. The mids were silky and it's where the tube effect shines and shows the most in a very pleasing way. No muddiness whatsoever in sound separation when it comes to busy tracks.
The Elear showed less tendency for coloration as it's warmer by nature than the Ananda but still the mids were pristine on the CTH.
Comfortable volume to drive the Ananda was at 3 and compared to the Violectric, the Violectric shows colder signature with ruthless SS attack and on demand dynamism with a toroidal power supply having power reserve on demand but was so afraid by the end of the comparison to love the cheap CTH and let the Violectric collect dust 😁😁😁
Still only 7 units in Amazon if anyone interested before some nasty plans comes to my mind about reducing this number 😎😎

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #3,205 of 4,987
Received the CTH yesterday and was eager tot try it with the Ananda and Elear due to the lack of reviews about such mating, was worried about the Hybrid/Planar mating as well as the power ability of the CTH to drive the Ananda.
Although it's not fair to judge the CTH out of the box before the break-in period for either the amp or the tube but I was positively surprised. The sound came out smooth, rich and warm with full bass which I never thought the Ananda was capable of producing while also making the treble more polite. The mids were silky and it's where the tube effect shines and shows the most in a very pleasing way. No muddiness whatsoever in sound separation when it comes to busy tracks.
The Elear showed less tendency for coloration as it's warmer by nature than the Ananda but still the mids were pristine on the CTH.
Comfortable volume to drive the Ananda was at 3 and compared to the Violectric, the Violectric shows colder signature with ruthless SS attack and on demand dynamism with a toroidal power supply having power reserve on demand but was so afraid by the end of the comparison to love the cheap CTH and let the Violectric collect dust 😁😁😁
Still only 7 units in Amazon if anyone interested before some nasty plans comes to my mind about reducing this number 😎😎
Glad you like the pairing! For the short time I had it, I remember it making the Ananda sound a bit too thin and light for my taste. But yeah, the soundstage was wide open and the highs were smoothed out just like you said.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #3,206 of 4,987
Glad you like the pairing! For the short time I had it, I remember it making the Ananda sound a bit too thin and light for my taste. But yeah, the soundstage was wide open and the highs were smoothed out just like you said.
The silky warm mids are a killer especially with the Elear.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #3,207 of 4,987
Dac change won't make much difference.

Ananda ist already one if the best headphones in it's class

Tube pre amp won't work at all

No no tubes. Won't help you and most probably not with the Ananda

If you want another listening experience you shoud look for your source. Maybe swap your computer for a streamer or Vinyl. If you don't want that just stay with what you have. If you want a noticable improvement you have to probably invest 10× the amount of your system now.
[/QUOTE]

I think I found a solution to my problem. I fed my D70 dac with xDuoo x10t digital turntable which I had not used in a while and lo and behold, the signal is much cleaner now and was not sibilant at all, even with Emperor (90's Black metal, although remastered).

I have a 2020 iMac connected to D70 via USB (Audioquest Forest USB C to B) and streams Tidal via Audirvana. Any suggestions to improve this signal pathway?

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #3,208 of 4,987
Dac change won't make much difference.

False

Ananda ist already one if the best headphones in it's class

True

Tube pre amp won't work at all

Nonsense.

No no tubes. Won't help you and most probably not with the Ananda

OTL tube amps will not work, but, there are tube amps that will. Tube pre-amps not likely to be a problem matched with quite a few amps.

If you want another listening experience you shoud look for your source. Maybe swap your computer for a streamer or Vinyl. If you don't want that just stay with what you have. If you want a noticable improvement you have to probably invest 10× the amount of your system now.

Unreasonably broad statement.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #3,209 of 4,987
False

True

Nonsense.

OTL tube amps will not work, but, there are tube amps that will. Tube pre-amps not likely to be a problem matched with quite a few amps.

Unreasonably broad statement.
And what’s his final grade ?? 😂😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back