Hifiman Ananda
Feb 9, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #3,182 of 4,987
Thanks all for your advice so far. It has been very helpful. I feel that I should try and upgrade the DAC first
If you don't like the DAC sound you have then buy from another make - another DAC chip - switch from AKM to ESS, or R2R, but I wouldn't spend more than $1k on a DAC unless you want to spend an equivalent amount on the headphone amp.

I have the D90 + TA-20 which sounds great to me, a nice mix of analytical + tube sound works for both dynamic and planar headphones.

Good luck, and please let us know how your Ananda's sound on your new set up compared to your current one. :)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3,183 of 4,987
The Gold Lions are bright tubes.
Correct but still tube bright that's why i also ordered the JJ which is warm but a good warm tube would be the Black Sable for $110 which I believe exceeds the CTH value bracket.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    102.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,184 of 4,987
Hi

I am new to Headfi, joined after years of being at the fringes (was scared of jumping into the rabbit hole, lol).

My gear is Topping D70, Violectric v220 and Hifiman Ananda. I mostly listen to metal and some hard rock and Jazz. I love the bass, mid and soundstage of Ananda but I realised that I am treble sensitive and especially after listening to a tri-brid item with electrostats, it was difficult to get back to Ananda with EQing it (my ears start to ache if I don't).

I love the Ananda overall even though I don't have the time to listen to it for more than a few hours a week. However, despite my low hours, I am a sucker for quality (aren't we all!) and I was wondering how can I improve my listening experience:

1. Should I go for Topping D90 (or some other DAC) to smoothen the treble and plump the bass a tad
2. Alternatively, should I get a new Headphone, like Audeze LCD2 (I feel that a LCD2C will be a step down)?
3. Add a tube pre-amp
4. Get a hybrid amp. However, Violectric is warm enough already

Your advice is much appreciated
Nothing.

Dac change won't make much difference.

Ananda ist already one if the best headphones in it's class

Tube pre amp won't work at all

No no tubes. Won't help you and most probably not with the Ananda

If you want another listening experience you shoud look for your source. Maybe swap your computer for a streamer or Vinyl. If you don't want that just stay with what you have. If you want a noticable improvement you have to probably invest 10× the amount of your system now.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #3,185 of 4,987
Nothing.

Dac change won't make much difference.

Ananda ist already one if the best headphones in it's class

Tube pre amp won't work at all

No no tubes. Won't help you and most probably not with the Ananda

If you want another listening experience you shoud look for your source. Maybe swap your computer for a streamer or Vinyl. If you don't want that just stay with what you have. If you want a noticable improvement you have to probably invest 10× the amount of your system now.

Thank you. It's great to hear differing perspectives. So I guess moving from D70 to something like D90 or smsl su9 will lead to marginal improvement at best.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #3,186 of 4,987
@srinis

If you don't like a headphone , then you change the headphone!

And if you ask me , despite what you might have been reading , yes the Ananda is bass (thickness) shy and it is bright tilted.

So you should either apply some EQ or buy another headphone that suits your tastes better.

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #3,188 of 4,987
Feb 10, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #3,190 of 4,987
Thank you. It's great to hear differing perspectives. So I guess moving from D70 to something like D90 or smsl su9 will lead to marginal improvement at best.
In fact with the products you already have which are good ones along with a good headphone, you can only apply marginal improvements (DAC, Cables, amp, tubes etc) which would need you to be psychologically convinced it's an improvement so you can feel it afterward 🤣
While shelling a 3-4K on a totally new setup would definitely gives a major improvement (like buying the new 2.5K MHA-200 Mcintosch headphone amp - below)
I would recommend keeping the Ananda and buying an LCD-2C or LCD-X or maybe an Aeon Flow open. most probably you will have a new warm, polite and deep bass signature. Using the Reveal+ makes the LCDs shine along with having a diversity in bright and dark headphones.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/headphone-amplifiers/MHA200

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    770.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #3,191 of 4,987
Feb 10, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #3,192 of 4,987
Thanks for the advice so far.

I do agree with psycho-acoustics. It’s very likely that there will be perceived benefits from spending that much more.

The trouble is that I actually like the bass of the Ananda but it’s the treble peak which is giving me trouble. I also wonder if I perceive the bass to be lower than expected due to the fit as I have a rather small head.

So far my preference for change seems to be in the following order:
1. Headphone (pity as I really like Ananda)
2. DAC
3. Amp

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #3,193 of 4,987
Thanks for the advice so far.

I do agree with psycho-acoustics. It’s very likely that there will be perceived benefits from spending that much more.

The trouble is that I actually like the bass of the Ananda but it’s the treble peak which is giving me trouble. I also wonder if I perceive the bass to be lower than expected due to the fit as I have a rather small head.

So far my preference for change seems to be in the following order:
1. Headphone (pity as I really like Ananda)
2. DAC
3. Amp
Any change you may do will cost you in the $600-1000, am sure the lCD-2C will solve it for you because of tis polite signature yet very nice one, for a bit more get the LCD X and KEEP the Ananda,
My 2 cents

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #3,194 of 4,987
Thanks again. For now, I have decided to forgo my itch to upgrade and decided to use a little EQ to tame the treble. I listen to metal most of the time and the Ananda gives me the perfect fast bass, tonality and treble for metal. Rather than looking for an upgrade I should tweak what I have to my needs.

I would love to try Audeze lcd-c but the shops here are not offering demos due to COVID and the low hours spent on my desktop just does not justify the need for 2 headphones.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #3,195 of 4,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back