Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #451 of 552
Quote:
I have helped desperate head-fi'ers getting rid of RockBox - also the latest version and also very recently. This however, has been 60x models I should add. Personally I am never going back to RB because of my own disastrous experience with RB on my 801. I did manage to "resurrect" it, but never ever RockBox for me again. Concider yourself warned.

With RB you can play hi res files, yes, but they will be down scaled to CD format (44.1kHz/16 bit). Gapless is of course nice, but I have joined my classical multitrack files into one file for the 801 and then they are played "gapless".

Lars, from time to time I get in touch with the developer of the rockbox port for HiFIMAN devices. BTW he lives in Moscow. I asure you that Rockbox works fine on HM-801 for already more than a year. Don't mislead fellow headfiers plz. The only real problem is with the dislays of the new batches of slims and even not all of them. I don't know anybody in Russia, who has even a slightest problem with Rockbox on HM-801, and there are plenty of 801 users here.

So don't be afraid, ianmedium. Everything works just fine.

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #452 of 552
Quote:
Thanks so much for your help. i am on a Mac, does that make a difference? I downloaded the link again but the folder just shows the image file. Thanks so much for your time and help with this. Does this mean if i have rock box I will also have gapless as I listen to classical in the main and that would be a nice bonus!

Yes, the Mac does not automatically show 'hidden' files beginning with '.' - download this

http://code.google.com/p/hide-unhide

which makes it easy to show / hide system files.

Agree with HungryDaze, I'm having no problems with the current dual boot rockbox with a 128 gb card and also on a Mac 

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #453 of 552
Thanks Ade, funny thing is that the link you sent says the page does not exist. I think I am just going to keep things as they are. Luckily the two cards that don't work cost only $10 together so no big loss. I have order three Lexars from the same seller I purchased the ones that work from and they should be here on Tuesday so problem solved. I must keep v.19 though as the sound improvement to my ears is perfect!

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #455 of 552
Oh thats great, thank you, will download it.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #456 of 552
Quote:
Lars, from time to time I get in touch with the developer of the rockbox port for HiFIMAN devices. BTW he lives in Moscow. I asure you that Rockbox works fine on HM-801 for already more than a year. Don't mislead fellow headfiers plz. The only real problem is with the dislays of the new batches of slims and even not all of them. I don't know anybody in Russia, who has even a slightest problem with Rockbox on HM-801, and there are plenty of 801 users here.

So don't be afraid, ianmedium. Everything works just fine.

I did actually say that the people having problems with RockBox of newer date where using HM-60x models, so I am not misleading anyone. Also one head-fier with standard HM-601 model had issues just 3 weeks ago. If anyone is interested, then read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579759/how-to-installing-and-uninstalling-rockbox-to-the-hifiman-hm-801-603-602-and-601
Especially the last post (#119) - quote: "the PC woudnt read the player in rockbox mode, because under the latest firmware, usb support is absent." That's his words, not mine.

May 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #457 of 552
The 801 is back in stock at Head-Direct, but now as "Refurbished version":
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=72
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_%28electronics%29

This is most likely (made of) units sent in from owners who took advantage of the trade-in offer for the new HM-901.

May 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #458 of 552
That will be some great buys for folks who missed out. I bet to all intents and purpose they will be like new after refurbishment.
Mine has really changed the way I listen to music, can't think being without it now. Nice to see the value of them holds very well.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #459 of 552
Does anyone know if the 801 will play 24/96 WAV files?

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #461 of 552
Hmm, odd, just tried it and it would not play!

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #462 of 552
Maybe I remember incorrectly,sorry. I wouldn't use them because no info tags. I have used only flac files as long as I can remember but though I originally used some uncompressed like wav. Sorry for the mis information then.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #465 of 552
No, but I think people - well, at least I - don't have proper answers for your questions.

I think (I am not 100% sure) there is no equal number firmwares. I remember seeing only V0.19, 0.21 and 0.23. The "V0.20" you say you have - are you sure it isn't a 0.21?

Regarding V0.23 - I haven't installed it myself, because I didn't feel any need to. Some - and I am not one of them - say that V0.19 sounds better than the two others. However, it has some bugs that are fixed in the later versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back