Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Feb 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #391 of 552
Oh thats great, in all likelihood my unit will probably have this then.
Playback resume is useful to me but I never EQ.
I just found a place that sells 24/96 classical music albums and they take Paypal so I will give some of those a go as well.
http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/storefront.php

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #392 of 552
Quote:
Spectrum.png

We talked about removing the output resistors a few weeks ago and I finally did just that last night, and the above is the result of HM801 driving SE530 (very much contrast to the HM801-SE530 RMAA done on anythingbutipod.com). Just show you how limited information can be misleading to a lot of people.

ampmod.jpg

It is as simple as soldering two wires. Now the output impedance is 0.2ohm.

It's a pity that I don't understand the difference between the measurements.

Update: Now I see what you are talking about.

By the way, I will probably lay my hands on the SYMM card apm this week, so I'll be able to review it soon.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #393 of 552
Quote:

We talked about removing the output resistors a few weeks ago and I finally did just that last night, and the above is the result of HM801 driving SE530 (very much contrast to the HM801-SE530 RMAA done on anythingbutipod.com). Just show you how limited information can be misleading to a lot of people.

It is as simple as soldering two wires. Now the output impedance is 0.2ohm.

Very cool clieos! looks like shorting the output impedance yields noticeable improvement in frequency response

do you happen to know the position of output resistor in HM60x series too?

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #394 of 552
Quote:
do you happen to know the position of output resistor in HM60x series too?

Don't know. But it shouldn't be too hard to find. You can just trace back from the headphone jack.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #396 of 552
Quote:

thanks.. i thought you already know

so how do you think about its SQ after output resistor mod? any significant improvement?

It really doesn't meant to improve SQ. It makes pairing with multi-driver IEM (with crossover) a possibility without the added coloration, which is what it is meant to do.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #397 of 552
How about output level? Did the mod increase it?

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #398 of 552
Quote:
How about output level? Did the mod increase it?

Sure, the headphone should see more power now (of the same position on the pot). However, it doesn't sound like a big jump to the ears.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #399 of 552
I have a question to make sure I am doing this right.

My 801 should be here next week and in anticipation I have purchased some class 4 SDHC cards, Kingston and San Disc.

I use a Mac and iTunes and all my files are wav ripped from CD.
I just want to check I am doing this right! I create a folder on my desktop and name it with artist and album title. I then drag the album from iTunes into that folder and then drag that folder onto the SD card. Once I have a number of albums on the card I then sort them alphabetically. I have pre formatted the card in disc utility to FAT 32

Am I doing it all right?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #400 of 552
I think HM801 like to sort its library based on the modification time (the writing time). You might want to drag all the files / folder / sub-folder in one go so the time line remains unchanged for all the files.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #401 of 552
Oh thanks for that. The smaller cards I did that with but the 32g I have filled over the past day on separate occasions. I can take them off and put them all on again in one go, takes a little while though eh!

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #402 of 552
I think there are software that will rewrite the mod time on SD card without needing to copy/paste them again, but I forget what name it is or whether there is a Mac version or now.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #403 of 552
I think of the folder sorting like a "new music" sorting. If I add new albums/folders, they show up in the bottom with second newest one step higher. With FLAC files the player uses normal tag sorting: album name and artist name are in alphabetical order. With wav files you don't have that option, however, if I get this right.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #404 of 552
Sure, the headphone should see more power now (of the same position on the pot). However, it doesn't sound like a big jump to the ears.

How much in dB would you think it increases?

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #405 of 552

Users who are viewing this thread

Back