Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Feb 5, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #377 of 552
Quote:
I noticed a few users on that site have HM-801 SYMM Card, googled it, looks interesting:

http://personalaudio.ru/detail/symm_card_dlya_hifiman_hm_801/

Yes, it's an alternative apm desingned by a russian engeneer from Saratov city (user Symmcat). In Russia it is considered to be the best amp for HM-801, but it's a deficit one at the moment. There is already a line of people waiting for Sergey to produse more SYMM cards. I am one of them. :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #378 of 552
Quote:
That would really be awesome!
If it is relatively easy to do, then it might be worth the risk ...
Do you get more gain, when you remove the resistors?

Yes, HM-801 now defenetly has more gain. Also I should admit that I like the sound of the original firmware even more than of rockbox. Game amp now shows the difference between them much more clearly. Original firmware is more analog sounding.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #379 of 552
Okay, that is a concern, that will keep me from removing the resistors. The Miracle is so sensitive, that I already have very little room for volume adjustment. Thanks for letting me know. Also good to know that you think the original firmware sounds better.

Yes, HM-801 now defenetly has more gain. Also I should admit that I like the sound of the original firmware even more than of rockbox. Game amp now shows the difference between them much more clearly. Original firmware is more analog sounding.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #380 of 552
Quote:
Okay, that is a concern, that will keep me from removing the resistors. The Miracle is so sensitive, that I already have very little room for volume adjustment. Thanks for letting me know. Also good to know that you think the original firmware sounds better.

That should be easy to fix for a modder - either add resistors on the input, or decrease the gain on the amp section by match of two pair of resistors, or both at the same time.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #381 of 552
That should be easy to fix for a modder - either add resistors on the input, or decrease the gain on the amp section by match of two pair of resistors, or both at the same time.

Ah! Now we are talking again!
This of course needs soldering skills that is above basic level, since it is smd components, am I right?
Again, in order to give it a go, I would have to be shown exactly which to remove and which to solder on exactly where ...

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #382 of 552
Quote:

I know several people in Moscow, who use UM customs with modified Game amp or SYMM card, and they never mentioned any problems with little room for volume adjustment. So I don't think, that it will cause you any trouble. After all, the volume wheel is very accurate and you can set the precise volume that you need.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #383 of 552
I know several people in Moscow, who use UM customs with modified Game amp or SYMM card, and they never mentioned any problems with little room for volume adjustment. So I don't think, that it will cause you any trouble. After all, the volume wheel is very accurate and you can set the precise volume that you need.

They may generally listen at higher levels that I do. I usually listen at about 80dB or when "loud" around 90dB. Rarely more than that. My problem is channel imbalance when I want to listen at medium-to-low volume, like 70dB.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #384 of 552
Quote:

No, that's not what I want to hear!! I really don't want to go back to the OF 
smile.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #385 of 552
Quote:
Ah! Now we are talking again!
This of course needs soldering skills that is above basic level, since it is smd components, am I right?
Again, in order to give it a go, I would have to be shown exactly which to remove and which to solder on exactly where ...

I say it is a little above basic soldering skill. I learned soldering by DIY and I can solder SMD now, but never get good at it. You definitely need to practice a little before messing with SMD parts, but the most important thing I think is the right solder iron (temp. control, small tip) which does help a lot.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #386 of 552
I say it is a little above basic soldering skill. I learned soldering by DIY and I can solder SMD now, but never get good at it. You definitely need to practice a little before messing with SMD parts, but the most important thing I think is the right solder iron (temp. control, small tip) which does help a lot.

Okay, thanks. I will have to get this done for me then.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #387 of 552
Arriving beyond late in the game! I have just managed to buy one of the few remaining new 801's, should be here later this week and I am really looking forward to it! Already formatted one card and loaded some of my favourite albums on to it (wav) Eric from HiFiman has been so helpful with questions regarding getting the most from this player as well.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #388 of 552
Spectrum.png

We talked about removing the output resistors a few weeks ago and I finally did just that last night, and the above is the result of HM801 driving SE530 (very much contrast to the HM801-SE530 RMAA done on anythingbutipod.com). Just show you how limited information can be misleading to a lot of people.

ampmod.jpg

It is as simple as soldering two wires. Now the output impedance is 0.2ohm.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #389 of 552
Thats wonderful I so envy those like yourself who can do this. Heck I just watched a fellow on youtube (farmall) even go the the lengths of etching his own printed circuit board as well as designing the circuits. It has always been a blank space for me, I used to stare and stare at school at it all and still it would not enter my head and stay there.. Still, I suppose there are things I can do that others find hard to do, takes all sorts to make a world eh!

Eric just sent me an email with the .23 firmware update ready to install if needs be onto my unit when it arrives, I cannot find anything about this update, anyone know what it does?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #390 of 552
v0.23 was released a years ago, adding playback resume and user EQ, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back