HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 25, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #616 of 1,195

Quote:
I placed my order for the HM-602, but then I changed my mind after reading so many reviews describing the rather dark sound of the player and cancelled it. I am all about treble. I wonder if this player has enough to keep me happy.

probably not for you then, unless you have some bright headphones to go with it

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #617 of 1,195
602 in the house!  No email or anything.  Just a box at the door.  I'm waiting a few days before I even give it a critical listen. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #618 of 1,195
ksc75smile.gif
the ups man just drop mine off.
It is smaller width and height wise than I expected but thicker than I thought also.
I will post picture of it next to my yotank ipod and pb1 when I get home later.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #620 of 1,195

Quote:
ksc75smile.gif
the ups man just drop mine off.
It is smaller width and height wise than I expected but thicker than I thought also.
I will post picture of it next to my yotank ipod and pb1 when I get home later.

Thickness is as expected.  Like you its more compact every other way than I was imagining.

BTW, anyone know if we are 'supposed' to use the included USB cable rather than an alternate?  That is a beastly, bionic USB cable.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #622 of 1,195

Thickness is as expected.  Like you its more compact every other way than I was imagining.

BTW, anyone know if we are 'supposed' to use the included USB cable rather than an alternate?  That is a beastly, bionic USB cable.

Yeah, you're right about that! I took the cable out, looked at it, let out a YELP and stuck it back in the box!
Btw, some PK1s arrived today, so I'm listening to the combo now. I've never seen donut style foamy things before...

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #625 of 1,195

Quote:
LOL

btw, when did you order? just to get an idea if mine will be shipped this week.

Aug 10th I believe.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #628 of 1,195

Quote:

Could you please PM me the steps you took to re-partion it?
I have made numerous attempts at re-formatting/re-partioning so I want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

After plugging in the 602 to the USB, I simply launched Disk Utility for Mac, clicked on the HM-602 16Gb drive, clicked on the "partition" tab, clicked on the "current" under "volume scheme" and changed it to 1 partition.  Under "Volume Information" I gave it a name "HM 602" without non alphanumeric characters, clicked on "format" and chose FAT32, then clicked on "options" and selected Master Boot Record. Confirmed nothing had changed, then told it to go ahead and do it's thing.  

I also noticed that I'm using a different USB cable, and hadn't thought about it but that might have something to do with it too.  I've had some cables that wont work with audio USB to my iBasso D4 and D10 in the past.

Quote:
I was wondering what everyone is using to carry their HM-602?

I currently use a soft cloth bag that came with some sunglasses, and keep that in my fleece vest pocket.  I also have a phone case with belt clip from the swiss army knife people that works beautifully if I want to hang it from my belt (got it from Walmart 2 years ago for under $10).  Soon it will be too cold or snowy to carry it like that on the belt.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #629 of 1,195
What IEMs do you recommend using with the HiFiMan HM-602?

I have been reading a lot of positive impressions about the Earsonics SM3, but this seems NOT to be a good combination since it also sounds warm and dark.
I see one saying it would be best pairing the HM-602 with a bright sounding phone. Any suggestions to a top quality universal IEM in that respect?

I have the Ortofon e-Q7, and it might be fine with the HM-602 in the bass and mid frequencies, but it is rolled off in the treble area (as the HM-602 is - based on what I read here).

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #630 of 1,195
I finally received my HM-602 yesterday !
And I can say : DONT PAIR IT WITH EARSONICS SM2/SM3
eek.gif

Those IEM are way too sensitive, you'r stuck at 0.5 to 0.9 sound level (to 10), and you can clearly hear a hiss. (low and high gain mode)
I will sell mine and keep the RE262 that comes with the HM-602, great couple "on the go"
they need power to be driven so you can listen at 2 to 5, no hiss.

Now I'm listening my HM-602 with my "earmolded" Stax SR001-MK2  ([size=x-small]DRIVER UNIT: SRM-001 [/size][size=x-small]EARSPEAKER: S-001MK2)[/size]
[size=x-small]With the line-out and a Mogami mini to mini (10cm)[/size]
[size=x-small]That's a perfect match ![/size] I'm living in a dreamy acoustic land ! From yesterday I can stop re-discovering my Flacs, my wife's gonna kill me
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back