HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 24, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #586 of 1,195

Quote:

Wow. That might get my vote for unusual comment of 2010. Then again, there is no accounting for different perceptions.

You are correct, we all hear differently and thankfully we have a variety of amps/cans/sources to accommodate our likes/dislikes. BTW, I personally preferred the iBasso D4 w/ HiFlight's TopKit (no buffers) and the MiniBox-ES to the Stepdance due to its rolled off highs.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #588 of 1,195

Quote:
I'll find out soon, but how come nobody is talking about the 262s?
Even those who have gotten it few weeks ago arent saying a thing about the free gift. After all, the 262 is the reason I have to wait a few weeks more. How does it compare to other iems?

Maybe no news is good news...
very_evil_smiley.gif

People have.  It's in the 262 thread.  This isn't the 262 thread.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #589 of 1,195

Quote:

So how is the background noise on it? any hissing? Is the output of the PO more or less powerful than the SFLO:2. Is bass as powerfull?

no background noise even for ultra sensitive IEMs, thanks to the low/high gain switch.
PO is as powerful as most portable amps, so more powerful than than the sflo2.
ppl have different tastes in bass so you'd better find out for yourself.

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #590 of 1,195
It doesnt support AAC , sorry to disappoint you ~ but if you follow the post, i think there are post teach you how to covert them, although you wont get the same experience as FLAC/APE/WAV etc

Quote:
A quick question before I jump on it - how's the AAC support? There are no official format support specs and I read somewhere it doesn't support AAC ??

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #591 of 1,195

no background noise even for ultra sensitive IEMs, thanks to the low/high gain switch.
PO is as powerful as most portable amps, so more powerful than than the sflo2.
ppl have different tastes in bass so you'd better find out for yourself.

My experience in just a few days use is there IS background noise, with sensitive IEMs using low gain. Does this go away with burn in? Someone mentioned 100-150hrs. I can't be the only one hearing this?!?! It's not subtle.

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #595 of 1,195

Quote:
I have no idea: SE5330s, completely stock. Customs are in the immediate future but having trouble making up my mind about which brand/model etc...

On Low Gain you shouldn't hear any hiss from an SE530s:

[size=inherit]
Impedance (at 1 kHz) 36.0 ohms
Sensitivity (at 1 kHz) 119 dB
[/size]  
As I mentioned in my initial review, the 602's opamp could accommodate (just barely) my JHA customs and those have similar sensitivity and slightly lower impedance, so this shouldn't be a problem.  I do not think the hiss will go away with burn-in, and assuming your SE530s functioning perfectly, it may be that you have an issue with your particular opamp.  Did you try with any other cans if you still hear it?

If the answer is yes, you may want to think about contacting Head-Direct and have it exchanged.

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #596 of 1,195
I've only tried the Shure's. I'll try the PK1s when they arrive this week; the are 109 dB sensitivity, and I assume would still use "low gain" @150 ohm. The background noise is not insignificant, so if I have to send it in, I hope they will take it. I bought it used from a guy here, but it was basically NIB
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #597 of 1,195

Quote:
I've only tried the Shure's. I'll try the PK1s when they arrive this week; the are 109 dB sensitivity, and I assume would still use "low gain" @150 ohm. The background noise is not insignificant, so if I have to send it in, I hope they will take it. I bought it used from a guy here, but it was basically NIB
frown.gif

you shold always ues high gain unless you hear hiss, or just prefer the low gain sound signature.
high gain = original design, low gain = trade-off for no hiss

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #598 of 1,195
Ok, in the next week or so I'll have used it with a variety of phones, so I'll know better about the hiss issue. I'm just surprised I'm the only one with issues on low gain with IEMs. So, we'll see...

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #599 of 1,195
I hate hiss, so I am looking forward to Chimera's further reports. I use sensitive iems most often and they hiss with:

DACPort - a very little
iPod touch 2G - a very little
iPod shuffle 5G - even less
iPod shuffe 1G - a lot
AMP3 Pro 2 - way too much
S:Flo 2 - a little more than iPod touch 2G
Fuze V2 - more than S:Flo 2
Sony A845  - only losing out to the AMP3 Pro 2
and so on.

Hiss with iems is not acceptable for high end music. If the manufacturer designs a circuit to 'work' with iems, it should have as little hiss as say, the iPod touch 2G or DACPort. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #600 of 1,195
Most players will have background noise. Unfortunately some IEMs have high sensitivity. Use an inline resistor to limit the hiss.  It might be slightly more difficult to drive with it, but it is worth experimenting. Make sure it is primarily resistive, so that the sound will not be affected. If it has a capacitor (i.e., Etymotic P->S converter), then it will change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back