HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #631 of 1,195

Quote:
I finally received my HM-602 yesterday !
And I can say : DONT PAIR IT WITH EARSONICS SM2/SM3
eek.gif

Those IEM are way too sensitive, you'r stuck at 0.5 to 0.9 sound level (to 10), and you can clearly hear a hiss. (low and high gain mode)
I will sell mine and keep the RE262 that comes with the HM-602, great couple "on the go"
they need power to be driven so you can listen at 2 to 5, no hiss.

Now I'm listening my HM-602 with my "earmolded" Stax SR001-MK2  ([size=x-small]DRIVER UNIT: SRM-001 [/size][size=x-small]EARSPEAKER: S-001MK2)[/size]
[size=x-small]With the line-out and a Mogami mini to mini (10cm)[/size]
[size=x-small]That's a perfect match ![/size] I'm living in a dreamy acoustic land ! From yesterday I can stop re-discovering my Flacs, my wife's gonna kill me
atsmile.gif

That is bad.. How bad is it? I only have the SM3... Anyone else has the same problem?

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #634 of 1,195
I use my JH-13's and UE-10's and can go to around "4+" on high gain without any his issues. Files are all flac (16 or 24 bit) or 320kbps, and I don't like to listen to anything above medium loudness.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #635 of 1,195

Quote:
602 in the house!  No email or anything.  Just a box at the door.  I'm waiting a few days before I even give it a critical listen. 

If I remember right you had an SFLO:2 or had heard one, when you get a chance can you give a detailed comparison against the SFLO:2. I would like to hear from someone familiar with the way both sounds to see if it is worth the money to get the 602.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #636 of 1,195

eek.gif

Those IEM are way too sensitive, you'r stuck at 0.5 to 0.9 sound level (to 10), and you can clearly hear a hiss. (low and high gain mode)

I will sell mine and keep the RE262 that comes with the HM-602, great couple "on the go"

Now I'm listening my HM-602 with my "earmolded" Stax SR001-MK2  ([size=x-small]DRIVER UNIT: SRM-001 [/size][size=x-small]EARSPEAKER: S-001MK2)[/size]

[size=x-small]That's a perfect match ![/size] I'm living in a dreamy acoustic land ! From yesterday I can stop re-discovering my Flacs, my wife's gonna kill me
atsmile.gif

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only who hears hiss! And the player really is quite wonderful for acoustic tracks.

On a personal note, I'm starting to think something is wrong with my unit. The channels cut out periodically, and it occurs if the the unit is bumped lightly. I mean real lightly, I'm certainly not mishandling it. It also occurs when switching from low to high gain and vise versa. I've used it with two pairs of phones and it occurs with both. And my IEMs I've used daily for almost a year and this has never happened, with quite a variety of sources.... So, I'm not sure what to do. I emailed the company and am waiting a response. All I can assume is it got banged around during the shipping process? We'll see...

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #637 of 1,195

Quote:
After plugging in the 602 to the USB, I simply launched Disk Utility for Mac, clicked on the HM-602 16Gb drive, clicked on the "partition" tab, clicked on the "current" under "volume scheme" and changed it to 1 partition.  Under "Volume Information" I gave it a name "HM 602" without non alphanumeric characters, clicked on "format" and chose FAT32, then clicked on "options" and selected Master Boot Record. Confirmed nothing had changed, then told it to go ahead and do it's thing.

I also noticed that I'm using a different USB cable, and hadn't thought about it but that might have something to do with it too.  I've had some cables that wont work with audio USB to my iBasso D4 and D10 in the past.

I got my 602 last night and am having the same issue. Sometimes I'm getting a -36 error, sometimes it just ejects suddenly in the middle of a transfer. I want to make sure I understand what it is you're doing because the options for me on Disc Utility don't seem to be exactly the same. I'm on a 2008 MacBook running OSX 10.6.4.

In Disc Utility, when I go to Partition, I choose 1 partition as the volume scheme and give that a name - I used HM602 for simplicity's sake. Then under the drop down "Format" menu I have the following options:
* Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
* Mac OS Extended
* Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled)
* Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
* MS-DOS (FAT)
* Free Space

I was assuming that the MS-DOS (FAT) option was what you meant by FAT32, so I chose that, and then in the "Options" tab, I chose "Master Boot Record."

That didn't help any.

Should I try it as "Free Space" instead? And if three of us are all having the exact same problem that's manifesting in the same way, I'm assuming others must be too, right?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm very eager to hear how this sounds...

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #640 of 1,195

Quote:
eek.gif

atsmile.gif

In my bedside rig I have the HM-801 > SRM-001 Mk2 SuperFatCat ++ modded, and an iRiver H140 + Sony Portable CD > Headroom Micro DAC optical input > Headroom Micro Amp.  I don't use the iRiver/Headroom rig any more now.

Quote:
I got my 602 last night and am having the same issue. Sometimes I'm getting a -36 error, sometimes it just ejects suddenly in the middle of a transfer. I want to make sure I understand what it is you're doing because the options for me on Disc Utility don't seem to be exactly the same. I'm on a 2008 MacBook running OSX 10.6.4.

In Disc Utility, when I go to Partition, I choose 1 partition as the volume scheme and give that a name - I used HM602 for simplicity's sake. Then under the drop down "Format" menu I have the following options:
* Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
* Mac OS Extended
* Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled)
* Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
* MS-DOS (FAT)
* Free Space

I was assuming that the MS-DOS (FAT) option was what you meant by FAT32, so I chose that, and then in the "Options" tab, I chose "Master Boot Record."

That didn't help any.

Should I try it as "Free Space" instead? And if three of us are all having the exact same problem that's manifesting in the same way, I'm assuming others must be too, right?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm very eager to hear how this sounds...

Yeah, I meant MD-DOS (FAT), which happens to be FAT32 (going from memory).  One note, you can't load a single file bigger than 4Gb with that formatting.

I would try another UEB cable if formatting doesn't fix the problem, or see if a powered hub fixes the issue.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #641 of 1,195
You Will get the Re262 with your DAP so you Will be able to compare it with your SM3.
I had a great time with mine, and will probably keep it for the iPhone.

But I am also questioning myself about my HM-602... Am I the only one who get noise ( without planning any song) when connecting a SM3 ?
No noise at all from the lineout and the stax.

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #642 of 1,195
Hiss is also an issue more for younger ears. I've noticed that the hiss that annoys me, or really really high peaks when testing the Westone UM3x made me wince, but the same noises didn't bother my colleague who is in his late forties. I am 31 myself and expect to hit some sort of descending plateau, but if you don't hear hiss with the Jh13Pro and the 602, then it is probably the age of your ears. I could hear the hiss of the JH13Pro and iPod touch 2G (the least hissy screened player I've ever used). Again, I don't have the HM602, but if people are hearing it or not hearing it on similar hardware, there is a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back