HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 27, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #646 of 1,195

Quote:
I finally received my HM-602 yesterday !
And I can say : DONT PAIR IT WITH EARSONICS SM2/SM3
eek.gif

Those IEM are way too sensitive, you'r stuck at 0.5 to 0.9 sound level (to 10), and you can clearly hear a hiss. (low and high gain mode)
I will sell mine and keep the RE262 that comes with the HM-602, great couple "on the go"
they need power to be driven so you can listen at 2 to 5, no hiss.

Now I'm listening my HM-602 with my "earmolded" Stax SR001-MK2  ([size=x-small]DRIVER UNIT: SRM-001 [/size][size=x-small]EARSPEAKER: S-001MK2)[/size]
[size=x-small]With the line-out and a Mogami mini to mini (10cm)[/size]
[size=x-small]That's a perfect match ![/size] I'm living in a dreamy acoustic land ! From yesterday I can stop re-discovering my Flacs, my wife's gonna kill me
atsmile.gif

If its that bad, i'm thinking of cancelling my HM-602. Since i really like the SM3s..

I just need to know how bad things are..

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #647 of 1,195
I don't have any problems, but I admit I haven't been paying much attention recently.
As I keep saying, just get the thing, decide for yourself and if you decide it's not for you take advantage of the 30 day money back grantee.

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #648 of 1,195

Quote:
Yeah, I meant MD-DOS (FAT), which happens to be FAT32 (going from memory).  One note, you can't load a single file bigger than 4Gb with that formatting.

I would try another UEB cable if formatting doesn't fix the problem, or see if a powered hub fixes the issue.

No dice on anything. I've completely erased, repartitioned, tried every single possible format and combination, tried with different cords, tried through the USB connection directly to the computer, tried through a USB hub, tried daisy-chaining USB hubs -- the same problem, every single time. Sometimes I can copy over half an album, sometimes just a song, but every single time the HM602 ejects itself halfway through the process. I've probably spent five hours trying to find some way to deal with this. I have to say, after a wait that was supposed to be a couple of weeks, then a month, then a month and a half, then two months, this is incredibly, incredibly annoying.

Also -- and this is something I obviously should have realized beforehand -- but I'm somewhat gobsmacked that even if I could get it to work, I wouldn't be able to play mp4s (AACs). iPods/iPhones are the most popular audio player by an enormous margin, Apple is slowly overtaking PCs on the personal computer market in the US -- and yet the 602 can't play Apple lossless files. I have 100 GB or so of flac files, but I have more than 1 TB of Apple lossless files.

Combine that with the fact that there's no gapless playback -- which means any live recording, anything where a single suite is broken into individual components, anything where bands bleed one song into another is going to be a jagged listening experience -- and it feels like this is something that does a poor good job filling an important (albeit smallish) niche i this market. (On a mostly unrelated note, the counter intuitive interface makes me realize what a good job Apple does on this count.)

I'm really disappointed -- I was incredibly excited at the prospect of being able to listen to high quality files in bed as opposed to sitting next to my computer -- but even if I was somehow able to get this to work consistently, I think I'd likely be returning it.

I'll ask this over on the official Head Direct forum, but does anyone know what the deal is on the 30-day return in relation to the RE262s? I'm assuming those go back as well; is there an option to buy those on their own? They're a nice little pair of IEMs...

(And, as a final, desperate hail mary, if there is anyone else who is having/has had similar issues with Macs and has found a way to deal with the problem different from Headphone Addict's advice above, I'm all, um, ears. I would really like to get a chance to check this out properly. Despite all my complaints, I so want to like this product enough to justify spending the money on it. Also, speaking of Headphone Addict, many thanks for so patiently explaining the steps you took. Would that it had worked for me. I'm glad you got it going, and it sounds like you helped some other people as well.)

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #649 of 1,195
They only just hit the 10% mark in PC sales.....so I wouldn't say they are overtaking Windows-based PCs anytime soon. I am not passing any judgement on the quality of the Apple computers in saying that.....just pointing out the figures.
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Apple is slowly overtaking PCs on the personal computer market in the US

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #651 of 1,195

Quote:
They only just hit the 10% mark in PC sales.....so I wouldn't say they are overtaking Windows-based PCs anytime soon. I am not passing any judgement on the quality of the Apple computers in saying that.....just pointing out the figures.
smile_phones.gif

I thought in the US they were much higher -- but lord knows I could very well be wrong. Maybe I was reading figures including all Apple products, including iPod touch, iPad, iPhone, etc. I'd certainly venture to guess that the percentage of US customers (b/c I know nothing about trends elsewhere) who listen to digital music is fairly high. But that's neither here nor there...

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #652 of 1,195

Quote:

I do not have this problem with my HM-602 syncing from my MBP.  Do you have Parallels or VMWare Fusion installed with a Windows VM?  Have you tested it from there?

When I PM'd Fang, I got this response: "Some mac can not provide enough current in USB port. How about try another computer and see if it works?" That was a little dispiriting -- and I wish I had known beforehand. I'm not sure how that would work -- I regularly run four external hard drives, and the USB port I tried to use has an external power source. In either case, it doesn’t look like the issue is one of software, so I don't know if trying Parallels or VMW would help (I don't use either of them currently) -- but I'm the first to admit I have no real idea how any of this would work, esp since all i'm doing is drag-and-dropping files.

at this point, i think i'll send it back unless some fix emerges in the next day or so. i am surprised that more people aren't having the same issue, since i'm not using a very old machine (it's 08) -- or that none of the suggested fixes have worked, since other people seemed to be having the same issues. oh well. win some, lose some.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #653 of 1,195
It is some problem with the USB chip. The other player I've had trouble with is the S:Flo. It works on the same computer if I cold boot into bootcamp. It's funny really: the only players that have trouble with OSX 10.6 are the ones from small Chinese factories. The computer has enough power - that isn't the problem. Computers that cannot power the iPad can connect to the S:Flo, as long as they are Windows. It sort of reminds me of Internet Explorer, really. It is the LEAST compatible browser on the planet; it has horrible time running web standards, but since it is still used by most people, a lot of web companies programme for it and so... their web sites don't run on standards-compatible browsers. The S:Flo and the HM602 must be very like web sites that are programmed for Explorer - just relying on the the calls inside the strongest armed operating system. 

Linux users are reporting problems too

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #654 of 1,195

Quote:
When I PM'd Fang, I got this response: "Some mac can not provide enough current in USB port. How about try another computer and see if it works?" That was a little dispiriting -- and I wish I had known beforehand. I'm not sure how that would work -- I regularly run four external hard drives, and the USB port I tried to use has an external power source. In either case, it doesn’t look like the issue is one of software, so I don't know if trying Parallels or VMW would help (I don't use either of them currently) -- but I'm the first to admit I have no real idea how any of this would work, esp since all i'm doing is drag-and-dropping files.

at this point, i think i'll send it back unless some fix emerges in the next day or so. i am surprised that more people aren't having the same issue, since i'm not using a very old machine (it's 08) -- or that none of the suggested fixes have worked, since other people seemed to be having the same issues. oh well. win some, lose some.

Did you try both ports or a powered hub?

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #655 of 1,195

Quote:
Did you try both ports or a powered hub?

Both ports, a powered hub, another hub daisychained off the powered hub, both ports with no other USB's attached, different cords -- pretty much every possible permutation I could possibly think of. The weird thing -- or one of the weird things -- is that the only constant seems to be that it'll spit out the 602 before whatever is being copied is finished. If I drag and drop a dozen individual songs, it might get through five of them. If I drag and drop five albums, it might get through 1.5. If I drag and drop a single album, it might copy half of it. The only constant is not being able to finish the task at hand.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #656 of 1,195
Again, the only way to reliably connect these things is to use Windows. The same computer booted into windows (not virtualised through OSX) will do fine. It isn't as Fang said - the laptop or computer has enough power to power the device. All laptops are underpowered and many desktops are. This isn't a Macs are inferior hardware discussion - most computers do not meet spec in many many ways. Macs are no different. However, the chips inside these devices were obviously designed for Windows - that or the firmware programming. Boot into Windows or return the machine if your troubles continue. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #657 of 1,195

I have several devices which require a special USB cable which has two USB connectors on one end and one connector on the other end.   My external Hard Drive for example will not power up unless I plug both of the USB connectors into the Mac/PC and the other (single) end into the drive...so this does not strike me as so problematic.

Quote:

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #658 of 1,195

Quote:
Both ports, a powered hub, another hub daisychained off the powered hub, both ports with no other USB's attached, different cords -- pretty much every possible permutation I could possibly think of. The weird thing -- or one of the weird things -- is that the only constant seems to be that it'll spit out the 602 before whatever is being copied is finished. If I drag and drop a dozen individual songs, it might get through five of them. If I drag and drop five albums, it might get through 1.5. If I drag and drop a single album, it might copy half of it. The only constant is not being able to finish the task at hand.

One permutation to eliminate if you haven't already would be trying w/ the laptop and the 602 plugged into the wall at the same time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back