Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #721 of 862
So I have a bit of an update on my experience with the S3. I contacted HIDIZS customer support about the issues i was having with the dangerous volume levels and lack of proper control of volume. They suggested i install a new "cable 2.0"firmware on their site instead of the Pure Music firmware. And the volume control seems to be working properly now. Its still kinda intimidating how loud this thing can make IEMs lol.
Unfortunately the problem im having now is no matter what Ive tried to do, the S3 won't allow me to play music at the advertised 24/192. Its locked at 24/48 when i plug it in. Whether I try using it in Neutron or PowerAmp. Any ideas?

I just flashed the cable 2.0 firmware too and it looks like the file name for the firmware says "SONATA_HD-A-V2.0.exe" which I would guess is an updated version of the "A" firmware. This would make sense considering the device also shows up as an input.

I'm also not able to go above 24/48 with this new firmware, but the volume works much better on windows now. Hopefully they release updated versions of the pure firmware with the same improvements.

Edit: I also received a response from hidizs regarding the volume control and this is what it said;

"Sorry that the SONATA don't have volume button at the moment,and need to adjust via computer or phone.considering this,we will update in next new product of S8.thanks."

So it sounds like they're coming out with yet another dac/amp with buttons called the s8?

I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #722 of 862
I just flashed the cable 2.0 firmware too and it looks like the file name for the firmware says "SONATA_HD-A-V2.0.exe" which I would guess is an updated version of the "A" firmware. This would make sense considering the device also shows up as an input.

I'm also not able to go above 24/48 with this new firmware, but the volume works much better on windows now. Hopefully they release updated versions of the pure firmware with the same improvements.

Edit: I also received a response from hidizs regarding the volume control and this is what it said;

"Sorry that the SONATA don't have volume button at the moment,and need to adjust via computer or phone.considering this,we will update in next new product of S8.thanks."

So it sounds like they're coming out with yet another dac/amp with buttons called the s8?

I guess we'll see.
Thanks for the reply. Ah yeah i do remember it saying "A" in the new 2.0 firmware. In that case i really hope they are releasing 2.0 versions of the other firmwares too. Im still wondering if this thing is even worth it at all...I can listen to my high res music in Neutron at 32bit/352.8.khz. And it sounds pretty great! Although i do think the S3 is providing a clearer, blacker background. And possibly reduced some hissing in some tracks. Ill have to give more music a good listen. Haven't noticed much else different yet. Not what others have described on here.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #724 of 862
At this point im honestly considering returning the S3 and buying the iBasso DC02 that just came out instead. HIDIZS customer service is frustrating me. In my initial correspondence with them I described the volume issue i was having with the Pure Music firmware, and they suggested i install the new Cable 2.0 firmware to see if it fixes it. Which i did, and the volume problem was mostly solved, but still presented issues. Degradation of audio quality was definitely one of them... So they respond by telling me their engineers suggest i install the Pure Sound firmware instead of the cable 2.0 *facepalm*
Im legitimately concerned about this thing damaging my hearing. I was trying to listen to some music 2 nights ago and very suddenly the sound in one ear got extremely loud. It was like a damn flashbang going off in my ear and its been aching ever since. I don't trust this thing.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #726 of 862
At this point im honestly considering returning the S3 and buying the iBasso DC02 that just came out instead. HIDIZS customer service is frustrating me. In my initial correspondence with them I described the volume issue i was having with the Pure Music firmware, and they suggested i install the new Cable 2.0 firmware to see if it fixes it. Which i did, and the volume problem was mostly solved, but still presented issues. Degradation of audio quality was definitely one of them... So they respond by telling me their engineers suggest i install the Pure Sound firmware instead of the cable 2.0 *facepalm*
Im legitimately concerned about this thing damaging my hearing. I was trying to listen to some music 2 nights ago and very suddenly the sound in one ear got extremely loud. It was like a damn flashbang going off in my ear and its been aching ever since. I don't trust this thing.

I think this is mostly an issue with the Savitech controller they are using. I've also experienced the one side volume issue but it seems to happen rarely when changing the volume stepping. It reverts back to normal when again, I change the volume. Unfortunately, this issue has also happened with another DAC that I own that also uses a Savitech controller, leading me to believe it's a controller issue.

I wonder if messaging Tempotec would solve these issues, since basically the Sonata HD and S3 is based on the same board, and firmwares are compatible, so Tempotec could provide support for it.

Oh, and Hidizs is coming with the S8 soon, which looks fairly similar to the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and use the same Cirrus Logic DAC.

Hidizs S8: https://lyra.media/topics/hpfes-2019-Hidizs-ap80-pro-s8-ms1-rainbow
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000328408705.html

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #728 of 862
is it possible to use this dac with topping a30 amplifier? and how to?

When u say "this dac" are u referring to the Hidizs sonata HD?
The Hidizs sonata HD already has a DAC and AMP inside, so not advisable to add an amp to it. U might fry the second amp. Though the output voltage of the sonata HD isn't that high compared to other standalone amps.
If u want to use the Topping A30 amp, u should connect it to a pure DAC (which has no amp component).

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #729 of 862
When u say "this dac" are u referring to the Hidizs sonata HD?
The Hidizs sonata HD already has a DAC and AMP inside, so not advisable to add an amp to it. U might fry the second amp. Though the output voltage of the sonata HD isn't that high compared to other standalone amps.
If u want to use the Topping A30 amp, u should connect it to a pure DAC (which has no amp component).
oww ok, i thought sonata was a pure dac. nice info :) thanks

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #730 of 862
is it possible to use this dac with topping a30 amplifier? and how to?
btw anyone know whic is better toppind d3 (amp dac combo) or topping a30+sonata hd2?
ill use it for my ath r70x. thx :)

Of course you can no problem at all.

Just be aware that you'll be double amping but with modern gear this is a very small problem in my experience.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #731 of 862
For bassheads don't go for the Ibasso dc02. I could test it with both my vmoda m100 and jvc sz2000. Sadly the sound quality is great for the size but there is a clear bass rolloff under 30hz. For anyone loving super deep notes it s a no go. The sound straight from the jack output of my macbook pro get deeper and fuller bass. The trouble doesn't exist on the ibasso t4. As usual they cleaned out the lower frequencies to get a better SNR

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #733 of 862
Nov 16, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #735 of 862

Users who are viewing this thread

Back