Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Apr 5, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #451 of 862
Just ordered one and hope it'll suffice for low volume listening with my Q701 and HD650. I don't listen very loudly, and honestly the headphone out of my OnePlus 6t at about 22 to 24 out of 30 is enough with the HD650, but I'd like some more headroom and a little clearer sound. I have other amps I use with these headphones and my laptop, but it would be nice to use them with my phone sometimes.

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #453 of 862
Sound on mobile devices is fine, but better be careful on Windows. Mine is at 1% and it's still extremely loud. Again, no issues on Android and Hiby OS devices. Sound wise, I still prefer the sound of the Hidizs DH1000/Sonata iDSD Plus.

I'll be flashing the new firmware for music listening and using on my OnePlus 6t. Don't plan to use it with my laptop. My everyday laptop is a Chromebook though.

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #454 of 862
I got the Hidizs to solve the hissing issue of Xiaomi Mi A1. It worked fine, but suddenly died on me (doesn't get detected on any phone and PC gives me a power surge error). So I went to the nearest Apple store and bought their USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Frankly speaking, it sounds the same (even if I'm not able to do any direct comparison), volume is more than enough, absolutely no hissing noise, output impedance is below 1ohm, built quality is about the same and costs only 10USD/EUR. There are a few drawbacks, but I honestly don't see any major reason to buy Hidizs for 2-3 times higher price again.. YMMV :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #455 of 862
I got the Hidizs to solve the hissing issue of Xiaomi Mi A1. It worked fine, but suddenly died on me (doesn't get detected on any phone and PC gives me a power surge error). So I went to the nearest Apple store and bought their USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Frankly speaking, it sounds the same (even if I'm not able to do any direct comparison), volume is more than enough, absolutely no hissing noise, output impedance is below 1ohm, built quality is about the same and costs only 10USD/EUR. There are a few drawbacks, but I honestly don't see any major reason to buy Hidizs for 2-3 times higher price again.. YMMV :)

Only problem I found with the Apple dongle is that the inline volume buttons seems to not work correctly, at least on mine. Otherwise, I agree, the sound is nice, even if it's just a 24bit/48Khz DAC. Also, the volume is more manageable on Windows.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #456 of 862
Only problem I found with the Apple dongle is that the inline volume buttons seems to not work correctly, at least on mine. Otherwise, I agree, the sound is nice, even if it's just a 24bit/48Khz DAC. Also, the volume is more manageable on Windows.
Yeah, volume buttons don't work correctly, but I can live with that. :) I have no high-res files (I can't tell the difference anyway), so I play everything at the native 16b/44.1kHz (PC or phone) and during commuting I can't really complain about the music quality. For the "critical" listening I use my headamp and full sized headphones anyway.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #457 of 862
UAPP playing Tidal seems to utilize 96/24 with this DAC and Samsung S10+.
Anybody knows settings to move it up to 192/24?
"D" Music firmware flashed.
Just out of curiosity, not really needed for sound quality :)

// edit: will answer my own question, not possible with Sonate, would need MQA renderer like Dragonfly

UAPP.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #458 of 862
Together with UAPP this thing sounds awesome. $34 for both well spent! Sounds better and is more powerful than I expected. Drives my HD650 and Q701 well enough.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #460 of 862
So what's the deal with MQA and UAPP and this DAC? I have tidal HiFi. We can't use this bit perfect cause we need to use the software volume control, right? So we can't use MQA? I don't quite understand how this works.

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #461 of 862
You can use hardware volume control and bit-perfect. But you cannot fully utilize 192/24 if available via second unfolding, because this is what Sonata does not support. UAPP does first unfold to 96/24, MQA renderers like Dragonfly Red are able to do second, Sonata is not.

Does not matter to me, doubt very much I could hear a difference between 96/24 and 192/24 stereo :) It sounds great as it is. Dragonfly Red might be better for MQA, but its form-factor is off-putting.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #462 of 862
You can use hardware volume control and bit-perfect. But you cannot fully utilize 192/24 if available via second unfolding, because this is what Sonata does not support. UAPP does first unfold to 96/24, MQA renderers like Dragonfly Red are able to do second, Sonata is not.

Does not matter to me, doubt very much I could hear a difference between 96/24 and 192/24 stereo :) It sounds great as it is. Dragonfly Red might be better for MQA, but its form-factor is off-putting.

Ok. Playing around in UAPP last night I did discover the hardware volume option and tried that and I got the blue dot when playing MQA. Volume seems that it's sometimes lower using hardware control and I don't get as much fine adjustment.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #463 of 862
Sounding pretty awesome.

Screenshot_20190411-100608.jpg

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #464 of 862
I just got the dongle. Flashed using the SONATA_HD-A-V2.0 file and then the D firmware. Now, on some songs on my phone, it is deafeningly loud in the right channel, but completely normal volume on other songs. I searched the thread and found some related issues but no solution. Any guidance?

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #465 of 862
I just got the dongle. Flashed using the SONATA_HD-A-V2.0 file and then the D firmware. Now, on some songs on my phone, it is deafeningly loud in the right channel, but completely normal volume on other songs. I searched the thread and found some related issues but no solution. Any guidance?

It is extremely loud. That SONATA HD A 2.0 firmware works better for me but it is limited at 48Khz. I think Tempotec makes the firmware, and the Hidizs is a rebrand, much like the DH1000 is a rebrand of their sonata iDSD Plus, so I guess this is a task for Tempotec, but I'm not entirely sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back