Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Jan 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #841 of 992
So after about 6 weeks my new connectors finally arrived from China. These can be found on eBay or aliexpress. They fit the hidition sockets perfectly. Can't guarantee they are all oversized like the ones I got since they are supposed to be standard 0.78mm.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #842 of 992
So after about 6 weeks my new connectors finally arrived from China. These can be found on eBay or aliexpress. They fit the hidition sockets perfectly. Can't guarantee they are all oversized like the ones I got since they are supposed to be standard 0.78mm.

When I bought my cables I requested for the fattest pins available. And indeed they fit quite well; the stock cable barely stays on after a moderate tug. I don't understand why Hidition has 0.78mm pins on their stock cable when the sockets are wider than that.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #843 of 992
how does NT6 scale with very good/great sources ?

i am very happy with the zx2/nt6 synergy, but I have a gut feeling that an even better dap than zx2 would probably elevate its already stellar performance to even greater heights of sonic bliss

NT6 is easily the best (c)iem i have owned/tried the last 6 years that i discovered this place 
biggrin.gif
 , still have not heard something to make me go 'this sounds better than NT6' (and NT6 cost me like 35% of the Katana price, so yeah it's also a great 'bang-for-buck' ciem)

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #844 of 992
  how does NT6 scale with very good/great sources ?

i am very happy with the zx2/nt6 synergy, but I have a gut feeling that an even better dap than zx2 would probably elevate its already stellar performance to even greater heights of sonic bliss

NT6 is easily the best (c)iem i have owned/tried the last 6 years that i discovered this place 
biggrin.gif
 , still have not heard something to make me go 'this sounds better than NT6' (and NT6 cost me like 35% of the Katana price, so yeah it's also a great 'bang-for-buck' ciem)

Assuming that your NT6 scales like my pro, you are in for a treat. IMO, my pro beats the HEK and the HD800 on the Schiit Ygg/Rok stack but fell below the LCD4 and Abyss. Obviously, this is biased by my signature preferences, but the HEK is close in signature to the pro - only brighter where the Pro matches or beats it in detail with a smoother, richer top end. YMMV.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #845 of 992
  Assuming that your NT6 scales like my pro, you are in for a treat. IMO, my pro beats the HEK and the HD800 on the Schiit Ygg/Rok stack but fell below the LCD4 and Abyss. Obviously, this is biased by my signature preferences, but the HEK is close in signature to the pro - only brighter where the Pro matches or beats it in detail with a smoother, richer top end. YMMV.

that's good to hear , i am waiting for a idsd micro black label to arrive next month , this should be a fun match

also eyeing the new sony wm1a dap 

i think that it's time for a source upgrade , zx2/dx80 are very good for their bang/buck but i would love to try something even better

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #846 of 992
Been looking at DAPs myself lately.  Almost pulled the trigger on a AK300 a couple weeks ago, but held off.  I was about to buy the pioneer XDP-300R but missed out on the insane price on amazon Japan by one day.  Even had it in my cart but wanted to check a local store first to look at the Sony and AK stuff.  Now it has gone up by around $200 which is no longer irresistible.  Trying to hold out to see what the new X7 looks like and see if any progress is made on Tidal's mobile MQA, and if the Pioneer and Onkyo will even properly decode it.  So much confusion on whether the Pioneer/Onkyo even use the good DACs for Tidal has me hesitating more on the DP-X1A/XDP-300R.  It is pretty much exactly what I want with 2 SD slots and streaming but the SQ might not quite cut it.  If I wasn't so hooked on Tidal I'd be grabbing either an Opus #1 or a Mojo+M1 or something.  

I have a Meridian Explorer 2 on the way to replace my flaky Modi in my PC setup and add MQA.  Splurged on a nice Viablue USB cable and 3.5 interconnect for line out as well.  Can't wait to see how ME2 and MQA works with these NT6pro.  

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #847 of 992
  Been looking at DAPs myself lately.  Almost pulled the trigger on a AK300 a couple weeks ago, but held off.  I was about to buy the pioneer XDP-300R but missed out on the insane price on amazon Japan by one day.  Even had it in my cart but wanted to check a local store first to look at the Sony and AK stuff.  Now it has gone up by around $200 which is no longer irresistible.  Trying to hold out to see what the new X7 looks like and see if any progress is made on Tidal's mobile MQA, and if the Pioneer and Onkyo will even properly decode it.  So much confusion on whether the Pioneer/Onkyo even use the good DACs for Tidal has me hesitating more on the DP-X1A/XDP-300R.  It is pretty much exactly what I want with 2 SD slots and streaming but the SQ might not quite cut it.  If I wasn't so hooked on Tidal I'd be grabbing either an Opus #1 or a Mojo+M1 or something.  

I have a Meridian Explorer 2 on the way to replace my flaky Modi in my PC setup and add MQA.  Splurged on a nice Viablue USB cable and 3.5 interconnect for line out as well.  Can't wait to see how ME2 and MQA works with these NT6pro.  

My NT-6 is not back yet but I have a good feeling that DX200 will make NT-6 sound great. The space, both width and depth on DX200 is excellent. Detail/resolution is even better if not as good as the players I have tried with NT-6 (DP-X1A, Hugo, Benchmark DAC2). Same goes with Lotoo Paw Gold but just smaller in stage. Can't wait for my NT-6 to be back. 

Both of these players stopped me from selling my T8ie MKII. Maybe when I get my NT-6, I might change my mind again and sell it. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #848 of 992

My NT-6 is not back yet but I have a good feeling that DX200 will make NT-6 sound great. The space, both width and depth on DX200 is excellent. Detail/resolution is even better if not as good as the players I have tried with NT-6 (DP-X1A, Hugo, Benchmark DAC2). Same goes with Lotoo Paw Gold but just smaller in stage. Can't wait for my NT-6 to be back. 

Both of these players stopped me from selling my T8ie MKII. Maybe when I get my NT-6, I might change my mind again and sell it. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah both the DX200 and X5iii definitely have me interested.  Still tempted by the Cayin i5 too since it can be had locally for pretty cheap, in fact cheap enough to use as a transport for a mojo later if the SQ isn't good enough, and cost around the same as an AK300 or DX200 with the mojo added on.  

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #849 of 992
  Yeah both the DX200 and X5iii definitely have me interested.  Still tempted by the Cayin i5 too since it can be had locally for pretty cheap, in fact cheap enough to use as a transport for a mojo later if the SQ isn't good enough, and cost around the same as an AK300 or DX200 with the mojo added on.  

I'm not too keen on X5iii. I have the X7, and to be honest I don't find Fiio's implementation of ES9018 to be special. It's still plague with bugs. Though it has improved on the latest beta version. iBasso seems to have a very good grip of the ESS DACs. DX100/R10 was excellent but the build/outdated software was a problem. DX90, was also good.

The X7 shares the same software platform as X5iii. Some already said X7 is still better than X5iii.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #850 of 992
I have never had a chance to hear any of the Fiios unfortunately.  iBasso seems to be very well liked but they are not as readily available in Korea.  They only list the DX80 on the official retailer site and the DX80 and DX90 on an unofficial site but both places have been out of stock forever now.  To order a DX200 I would likely have to add 25% in customs fees which would put it nearly at Opus #2 prices and certainly more than the AK300.  I suppose there's always the option of just grabbing a mojo and using my G5 but I'd really like a dedicated DAP that has good synergy with the NT6pro.  Maybe I should hold out until next Black Friday :p  

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #851 of 992
anybody here pairing his NT6 with sony wm1a ?

if so, how is the synergy ? 

ps : after lstening to my EE athena yesterday, i reverted to my NT6 today and i gotta say again that this ciem is a beast ,such amazing clarity and transparency 
basshead.gif

i don't know how they did it , but i am damn glad they did it anyway
tongue.gif

also, has anyone paired his NT6 with the whiplash twau cable ?

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #852 of 992
  I have never had a chance to hear any of the Fiios unfortunately.  iBasso seems to be very well liked but they are not as readily available in Korea.  They only list the DX80 on the official retailer site and the DX80 and DX90 on an unofficial site but both places have been out of stock forever now.  To order a DX200 I would likely have to add 25% in customs fees which would put it nearly at Opus #2 prices and certainly more than the AK300.  I suppose there's always the option of just grabbing a mojo and using my G5 but I'd really like a dedicated DAP that has good synergy with the NT6pro.  Maybe I should hold out until next Black Friday :p  

Best I have heard with my NT6pro is the Paw Gold, but expect that the Sony WM1A/Z will best that pairing. Unfortunately, I am without my pro to even try until after CNY and then some. The Sony/Paw Gold are the SQ kings in my book and the Sony ticks all the boxes with even a 30 hour battery life. The AK380 is one league down in SQ IMO in a side by side listen at RMAF and requires an external amp to sound its best. However, the DX200 sounds like it may be a contender when I get a chance to hear it. My bet is on the Sony WM1A at $1100 USD or less used as the best in class - top quality UI, Build, and SQ.

The i5 is a great little DAP too for usability and good sound, but definitely inferior to the top dogs in SQ - but may be good enough if you get a great enough discount. The Aune M2 and Calyx M are cheap and have top dog sound, but are lacking in functionality if you can live with that. The Calyx M and the WM1A can drive HPs/CIEMs without the need for an amp stack if this is a concern for you - making them very convenient. In the end, I will likely keep my Calyx M and add a Sony A and the Aune M2 to complete my collection. If the DX200 can clearly beat the Calyx and the Aune, then I will trade them for the DX.

Remember, this is per my preferences and IMO so YMMV.

BTW, while the MOJO is definitely a top dog device in SQ and build, it was not that musical to me and unable to beat my AK100ii/BH2 stack in SQ so I passed on the purchase. I find that the MOJO is particular in its paring and didn't work well with my NT6pro for my tastes. What I look for is musical realism, euphonics, with thick natural notes, on stage presentation, and right sized instruments that get my feet tapping. If you prefer a two sections back presentation with a delicate thinner analytical details with lots of air, or are primarily a classical music fan, then the AK380 may be your go to device.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #853 of 992
  Best I have heard with my NT6pro is the Paw Gold, but expect that the Sony WM1A/Z will best that pairing. Unfortunately, I am without my pro to even try until after CNY and then some. The Sony/Paw Gold are the SQ kings in my book and the Sony ticks all the boxes with even a 30 hour battery life. The AK380 is one league down in SQ IMO in a side by side listen at RMAF and requires an external amp to sound its best. However, the DX200 sounds like it may be a contender when I get a chance to hear it. My bet is on the Sony WM1A at $1100 USD or less used as the best in class - top quality UI, Build, and SQ.

The i5 is a great little DAP too for usability and good sound, but definitely inferior to the top dogs in SQ - but may be good enough if you get a great enough discount. The Aune M2 and Calyx M are cheap and have top dog sound, but are lacking in functionality if you can live with that. The Calyx M and the WM1A can drive HPs/CIEMs without the need for an amp stack if this is a concern for you - making them very convenient. In the end, I will likely keep my Calyx M and add a Sony A and the Aune M2 to complete my collection. If the DX200 can clearly beat the Calyx and the Aune, then I will trade them for the DX.

BTW, while the MOJO is definitely a top dog device in SQ and build, it was not that musical to me and unable to beat my AK100ii/BH2 stack in SQ so I passed on the purchase. I find that the MOJO is particular in its paring and didn't work well with my NT6pro for my tastes. What I look for is musical realism, euphonics, with thick natural notes, on stage presentation, and right sized instruments that get my feet tapping. If you prefer a two sections back presentation with a delicate thinner analytical details with lots of air, or are primarily a classical music fan, then the AK380 may be your go to device.

With LPG and DX200 I decided to sell my Mojo. Though I still have the Hugo and DP-X1A also sounds good with NT-6, I think I have the best sources for NT-6. Will check out the Sony's when I get the chance. But looking at the specs, I can't shake the feeling that there is much hype on the Sonys especially 1Z than substance. The 1A I think is still overpriced but easier to swallow but until I listen to both of  them I'll keep them as options. After all, I had the same feeling with LPG before I bought it.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #854 of 992

With LPG and DX200 I decided to sell my Mojo. Though I still have the Hugo and DP-X1A also sounds good with NT-6, I think I have the best sources for NT-6. Will check out the Sony's when I get the chance. But looking at the specs, I can't shake the feeling that there is much hype on the Sonys especially 1Z than substance. The 1A I think is still overpriced but easier to swallow but until I listen to both of  them I'll keep them as options. After all, I had the same feeling with LPG before I bought it.

Was not expecting much from Sony, but they blew my socks off at RMAF. You may want to avoid auditioning as it will likely empty your wallet.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #855 of 992
Thanks for the comparisons. Choosing a DAP based on features is hard enough but add in synergy and it becomes a lot more complicated. Especially with the NT6 since they are fairly rare, so not a lot of people have the experience to make the comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back