Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #377 of 992
Sound is absolutely perfect out of Hugo.  I didn't think NT6 could scale up this much.  It's super accurate, detailed, clear.  Probably the best I've heard so far.  Sound is just real that's all I can say.

Probably the best source to test that V3 cable out should be on the Hugo.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #378 of 992
However there is one thing to bear in mind. that Me and AJ have different NT6 from you guys (the canal tips, frequency response charts, cable etc). So there is a chance that they really sound different between the two models, if so, the cable changing is a completely different story now.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #379 of 992
  However there is one thing to bear in mind. that Me and AJ have different NT6 from you guys (the canal tips, frequency response charts, cable etc). So there is a chance that they really sound different between the two models, if so, the cable changing is a completely different story now.

Yes, I think this depends on when it was purchased.  There is version 1 and 2, and right now their default is version 2.  I thought you posted your tuning graph which looks like John and Mine's.  I've looked at Rin's measurements of v1, and V2, and V1 looks to be brighter with treble peak and bass is lifted like the pro but not as much.  So, the V1 is closer to pro, but 4-way instead of 5-way.

AJ probably has the version 1, and it would be brighter and possibly the treble needs to be tamed, and V3 may be taming the treble.

What has changed with the cable specifically?  You say more detailed, does that mean more treble output or something else?  Impressions would be awsome comparing stock to the V3.  :)

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #380 of 992
Yes, I think this depends on when it was purchased.  There is version 1 and 2, and right now their default is version 2.  I thought you posted your tuning graph which looks like John and Mine's.  I've looked at Rin's measurements of v1, and V2, and V1 looks to be brighter with treble peak and bass is lifted like the pro but not as much.  So, the V1 is closer to pro, but 4-way instead of 5-way.

AJ probably has the version 1, and it would be brighter and possibly the treble needs to be tamed, and V3 may be taming the treble.

What has changed with the cable specifically?  You say more detailed, does that mean more treble output or something else?  Impressions would be awsome comparing stock to the V3.  :)
Tupac so which is mine? Same as yours?

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #381 of 992
Tupac so which is mine? Same as yours?

Nope. Mine is same as AJ' (with silicone tips and exactly the same frequency charts). But I think yours (silverear and michael) are the same. Hybrid V3 doesn't tame down the treble, it actually smoothen it up with better treble extension (canceling effect). This results in better detail level, resolution, overall evolving experience.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #382 of 992
Nope. Mine is same as AJ' (with silicone tips and exactly the same frequency charts). But I think yours (silverear and michael) are the same. Hybrid V3 doesn't tame down the treble, it actually smoothen it up with better treble extension (canceling effect). This results in better detail level, resolution, overall evolving experience.
Hum...I am still not sure whether to crap 500 bucks in the Whiplash :D

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #383 of 992
Ok, some comments related to about v1 and v2.  A dude that loves to measure iems has done some analysis on the NT6 v1 and v2.  He states that you can get a more linear response with 33ohm adapter in series with the NT6 v1.  For the v2, no impedance adapter necessary as it's updated to be more linear response. He also thinks that adding acoustic damping can make both more linear by damping the treble.  So there you have it, possibly AJ's and tupac's could be this v1 and the cable could be providing more impedance than the stock cable.  His measuring setup is different than NT6's system so take this with a grain of salt.  Measuring customs probably needs the right setup for accuracy I'm sure.

While the first version becomes more linear with extra serial resistance added, the second version ends up with attenuation in the treble. In other words, the lower the devices' output impedance, the flatter NT6 ver.2 becomes.

By utilizing both electrical and acoustical damping modification techniques, NT6 can be finely tuned to match the Olive-Welti reference target. As far as NT6 ver.1 goes, insert a gray damper into the tweeter bore, and equip a 33 ohm resistor. On the other hand, as NT6 ver.2 is pretty much on target, a white damper on the tweeter bore will do the trick

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #384 of 992
Cool stuff! Great to know. But I don't think the cable is changing the NT6's sound by providing more impedance. 

Also the NT6 v1's frequency response is still a bit different from the on I had. Mine didn't have the peak at 6k Hz (and I don't hear it either). Anyways, I guess the only way is to listen and compare both, which I don't think I will do unless my NT6 breaks :).

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #385 of 992
I stepped it up another notch in terms or realism, accuracy, and ultra details.  Benchmark DAC2 D.  The most resolution I have ever heard on the NT6, more than Hugo. I don't consider Hugo as accurate. It's pretty ridiculous how much the NT6 scales up.  It's a point where it can compete with full sized cans!!! I hear everything!!  DAC2 will output everything that is there.  Didn't know there wuz more. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #386 of 992
  Cool stuff! Great to know. But I don't think the cable is changing the NT6's sound by providing more impedance. 

A thicker cable would decrease resistance by having more conductors, in my opition.
And the V3 does have a high amount of conductors for an IEM cable . Additionally, silver has the lowest electrical resistivity.

Wish, I were a cable believer.
etysmile.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #387 of 992
  A thicker cable would decrease resistance by having more conductors, in my opition.
And the V3 does have a high amount of conductors for an IEM cable . Additionally, silver has the lowest electrical resistivity.

Wish, I were a cable believer.
etysmile.gif

Yes..That makes sense. A cable definitely changes the sound (maybe via changing in impedance) by providing more/less conductivity. 

I wasn't a cable believer. Now I am still not a cable believer, because I really hear clear difference with certain cables. So cable surgery is real for me!
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #388 of 992
  Yes..That makes sense. A cable definitely changes the sound (maybe via changing in impedance) by providing more/less conductivity. 

I wasn't a cable believer. Now I am still not a cable believer, because I really hear clear difference with certain cables. So cable surgery is real for me!
biggrin.gif

Well, for cans, the cable impedance and the driver impedance is way far apart to have any difference.  For iems on the other case, possibilities are there.  Since the treble or bass can drop below 10ohms depending on the iem.  Counting out Westones, the impedance of the treble in the NT6 drops as low as 8ohms which comes very close to a cable Rin has measured to have more resistance with 2.4 ohms.  Since the value come pretty close, this can have audible affects.  Shure SE846's treble impedance dips as low as 4ohms, and this should definately have audible affects from either the output impedance of the DAP or the cable's impedance if significant enough.  The graph blow show that capacitance and inductance is not signifcant enough compared to the resistance since it's totally flat.  So, it is indeed the resistance of the cable.  The guage or AWG has more affect on conductance than the material type such as copper or silver since their conductance value is very close.

shwl: Nordost 7N, OCC-7N silver-plated
rubin: Hidition old stock, Hidition new stock, 5N copper, DIYer(fate)'s flourescent cable, Nordost 7N
udauda(Rin): $20 Furutech cable from Ebay, Ultimate Ears stock

My friends have sent me seven cables for this analysis, and my two cables are added to the pot. As expected, the OCC-7N silver plated cable and the Ebay furutech have the highest conductance, while rubin's Nortost 7N performs worse than others, indicating my friend rubin has been completely scammed.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #390 of 992
  I want it, I want it, I want it! lol :p. I'm craving a reference CIEM and this seems to be what I'm looking for.

lol where have you been lee? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back