HiBy W5 --> Now the W3 Bluetooth Receiver is Here with Better Buttons
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #166 of 267
Pairs really well with the Hidizs Mermaid MS4!
Screenshot_20190801-223612.png

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #168 of 267
Sitting 50' away from the W5 with my Razer Phone 2 and still connected .Interesting that others don't have good connections.
50 feet?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #171 of 267
Hi guys, some update on my experience for W5. Updated the FW to 1.0 as well as on the r6pro and R3. Updated the phone to Samsung Galaxy A8(2018). No problem with pairing anymore.
The only problem is the connection quality and results did not depend much on the connected device. LDAC works without interruptions up to 6 meters w/o walls with either "Best Effort (Adaptive Rate) or 330 kbps. Everything higher causes interruptions and distortions. Setting up in UAT on R6pro or R3 makes the connection quality even worse. It works only up to 10cm distance between devices. Thus it is no usable at all. Where W5 shines is the amplifier power. It can drive even the full-size headphonnes without a problem. But considering connection issue, it's useless feature.
@Joe Bloggs,
could please advise whether W5 is defective or it just requries further beta testing on my expense? May I return it back to Hiby for refund? I really can't find any benefit in it in comparison with FiiO BTR3, which is stable, robust and gives better connection and sound quality with LDAC.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #172 of 267
Hi guys, some update on my experience for W5. Updated the FW to 1.0 as well as on the r6pro and R3. Updated the phone to Samsung Galaxy A8(2018). No problem with pairing anymore.
The only problem is the connection quality and results did not depend much on the connected device. LDAC works without interruptions up to 6 meters w/o walls with either "Best Effort (Adaptive Rate) or 330 kbps. Everything higher causes interruptions and distortions. Setting up in UAT on R6pro or R3 makes the connection quality even worse. It works only up to 10cm distance between devices. Thus it is no usable at all. Where W5 shines is the amplifier power. It can drive even the full-size headphonnes without a problem. But considering connection issue, it's useless feature.
@Joe Bloggs,
could please advise whether W5 is defective or it just requries further beta testing on my expense? May I return it back to Hiby for refund? I really can't find any benefit in it in comparison with FiiO BTR3, which is stable, robust and gives better connection and sound quality with LDAC.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? v1.04 is the latest one.

I find that the sweet spot for UAT is to use the 900Kbit/s mode.

Also, the Hidizs AP80 recently got support for UAT and it's working fine for me. Just as long as it is set at 900kbit/s. 1.2Mbit may work only for 44.1Khz tracks. Going up makes connection unstable.

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #175 of 267
Have you updated to the latest firmware? v1.04 is the latest one.

I find that the sweet spot for UAT is to use the 900Kbit/s mode.

Also, the Hidizs AP80 recently got support for UAT and it's working fine for me. Just as long as it is set at 900kbit/s. 1.2Mbit may work only for 44.1Khz tracks. Going up makes connection unstable.
Sorry, dumb question... if we should limit to 900, why not just stick with LDAC?

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #176 of 267
Sorry, dumb question... if we should limit to 900, why not just stick with LDAC?

The only reason would be because UAT can go up to 192Khz while LDAC goes up to 96Khz. But the better judgment would be to try both codecs and decide which one to use.

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #178 of 267
What kind of battery life is everybody getting? I'm getting maybe 2 hours using LDAC.

I haven't measured mine, but I use mostly aptX when listening on my Windows 10 desktop and I get a few hours from it. LDAC and UAT for sure are more power hungry... It would be nice if Hiby could add a battery indicator for the W5 in their next R3 firmware.

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #179 of 267
The only reason would be because UAT can go up to 192Khz while LDAC goes up to 96Khz. But the better judgment would be to try both codecs and decide which one to use.
I agree. I will experiment for myself. I was more worried about distance limitations and quality of connection of UAT vs LDAC... but it is on me to try for myself to see if I get any quality and connection differences. Up to now I have given up on the W5 and moved on to the ES100, but I’ll give it a whirl...

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #180 of 267
It should be available... V1.04 from the OTA Update.
Yes, it has been updated to 1.04.
Unfortunaelly not much improved. The connection quality remains poor. Fiio BTR3 works without distortions on a higher frequency with LDAC and sounds better. UAT is unusable. Only a feature for marketing.

I like Hiby, but this product is a failure. Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back