HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 7, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #1,142 of 3,181
It's in the back of my mind that the slight upper mid forwardness in the RS6 might work well for a less forward IEM. It's one reason the RS6 sounds sublime with the IE 900, but it'll have to consistently pair well with EVO to topple the R8...unless a less mid forward IEM comes along that topples EVO. Damn, this hobby.
Sounds like it might be a match with Traillii??

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #1,143 of 3,181
A question about DSD playback with RS6, either of a file stored on it locally or when using it as a USB DAC on PC using playback software (like Signalyst HQ Player) outputting DSD to the DAC: Based on the circuit diagram below, it looks like the R2R is only utilized for PCM, and is entirely bypassed for DSD. Thus, if DSD is my preferred format, investing in an RS6 to experience the musicality of R2R may be misguided. Is this correct or am I misreading the diagram below?
1-1632711057125.jpg

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #1,144 of 3,181
A question about DSD playback with RS6, either of a file stored on it locally or when using it as a USB DAC on PC using playback software (like Signalyst HQ Player) outputting DSD to the DAC: Based on the circuit diagram below, it looks like the R2R is only utilized for PCM, and is entirely bypassed for DSD. Thus, if DSD is my preferred format, investing in an RS6 to experience the musicality of R2R may be misguided. Is this correct or am I misreading the diagram below?
Can't say for sure, but R2R does NOT support DSD natively. So either there's an R2R subset in the RS6 designed to handle DSD, or there's some sort of DS modulation separate to the PCM R2R chain. Different R2R DACs have different ways of decoding DSD, not sure exactly how the RS6 is doing it.

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,145 of 3,181
Can't say for sure, but R2R does NOT support DSD natively. So either there's an R2R subset in the RS6 designed to handle DSD, or there's some sort of DS modulation separate to the PCM R2R chain. Different R2R DACs have different ways of decoding DSD, not sure exactly how the RS6 is doing it.
I appreciate your response, @gLer. It does seem that the circuit diagram is ambiguous about how the DSD input signal is managed. That said, the proof is in the listening, so I will await reviews from trusted sources such as you, @twister6 and others. It would be great if you could comment specifically on the sound quality with DSD source files (local files stored on DAP or using RS6 as a USB DAC receiving DSD rom HQPlayer, FooBar or similar). Many thanks!

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,146 of 3,181
1-1632711057125.jpg
I asked this point before like yours… still waiting some explanation from the expert.

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #1,147 of 3,181
1-1632711057125.jpg
You can choose PCM as your DSD playback mode, if you would like DSD as well as PCM audio to go through the PCM audio system. That would involve converting from DSD to PCM (as so often but not always happens during mastering of music published in DSD, as well).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 8, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,148 of 3,181
You can choose PCM as your DSD playback mode, if you would like DSD as well as PCM audio to go through the PCM audio system. That would involve converting from DSD to PCM (as so often but not always happens during mastering of music published in DSD, as well).
As part of my review I'm testing DSD converted to PCM vs the same tracks in native DSD, and see if there are any qualitative differences between the two. Honestly, my gut says there won't be much, if any, but we'll see. I know that DSD enthusiasts will always insist on native DSD playback.

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,149 of 3,181
I appreciate your response, @gLer. It does seem that the circuit diagram is ambiguous about how the DSD input signal is managed. That said, the proof is in the listening, so I will await reviews from trusted sources such as you, @twister6 and others. It would be great if you could comment specifically on the sound quality with DSD source files (local files stored on DAP or using RS6 as a USB DAC receiving DSD rom HQPlayer, FooBar or similar). Many thanks!
This wouldn't be the player for those that are primarily DSD listeners. That said, I would personally question the preference and if it's due to not yet experiencing a great multibit player. https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/ Almost all DSD is mixed etc in PCM.

Take that link with a grain because I have no use for MQA. I understand why a steaming service may like it but it's not lossless.

All that said, DSD decoding is simpler and a dedicated circuit like in the RS6 could actual outperform current multipupose DAC chips (or it could use one) so until we get a review and/or find out the process, I wouldn't assume that my 1st sentence is accurate.

Speaking of streaming services, If you have Qobuz, try actually downloading a file to wav and comparing it to the bit perfect stream sometime.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,152 of 3,181
What gain settings are you using out there for IEM's? Medium is recommended for most it seems. I compared the same tracks with the Mest MKII's and the DX160. The DX160 to me gives me cleaner more pronounced treble and overall clarity. The RS6 sounds more "compressed" to me giving me more lower end. I'm curious as to anyone else's feelings on this.

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,154 of 3,181
So far, this thread has influenced me to go with a Shanling M9 for my next DAP. I like my Hiby DAPS, but for ultimate DAP sonics....Shanling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back