HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 8, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,156 of 3,181
I'm getting mixed result with DSD, amazing performance with MQA and PCM.
Are you able to elaborate as to what isn't to your liking with DSD?

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,157 of 3,181
try actually downloading a file to wav and comparing it to the bit perfect stream sometime
What happens? Not quite as lossless while streaming as one would have though?

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,158 of 3,181
Interesting. What about the shanling do you find better than the Hiby when it comes to sound signature?
I do not have a HiBy RS 6. I do have a HiBy R6 2020 and an M8 Shanling. The Shanling is much more musical.

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #1,159 of 3,181
I do not have a HiBy RS 6. I do have a HiBy R6 2020 and an M8 Shanling. The Shanling is much more musical.

But how do you know M9 will follow the same tuning? Plus, I think they will only manufacture as many units as they can get their hands on the remaining ak4499 stock, similar to dx300 max, and it will be their first sw release under android 9 and with a new SoC. Quite a few unknowns here.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,161 of 3,181

The RS6 is also much more musical than the R6 2020.
Yeah like aaf said, you have to compare apples with apples. The R6 2020 is Sabre-based, so no matter how they tune it any R2R DAP is likely going to sound more analogue and 'musical'. That said I'm also keeping an eye on the M9, but leaning more towards waiting for the as-yet-just-speculating 'RS8' as a potential next step up from the flagship R8.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,163 of 3,181
And if I recall somewhere in this thread that Shanling mentioned M9 will be tuned differently to M8
I don't recall, but that would be a silly move considering how well-received the M8 was. It remains to be seen if Shanling can deliver a stable software platform though, which is the one thing HiBy nails every time.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,164 of 3,181
I don't recall, but that would be a silly move considering how well-received the M8 was. It remains to be seen if Shanling can deliver a stable software platform though, which is the one thing HiBy nails every time.

I might have misread it. Nevertheless, I tried and liked the RS6, and only managed to compare with Shanling M6 Pro. RS6 has the neutrality, sound staging and naturalness.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #1,165 of 3,181
So in short, even though picking an RS6 at this point in time would mean a great investment in a platform that absolutely has a longer future development roadmap ahead of it, from a quality perspective the N6ii-R01 doesn't necessarily pale in comparison and actually holds its own admirably... :)
RS6 software is amazing, screen is amazing, i prefer laterla volume wheel but i think depends on my habit.
I receive it yesterday and is burning.. I had short listening out of the box and was fine, i'm sure i will not have time to burn it enough but i'm pretty sure i'll miss it when i'll send it back to its owner :)
My friends are different :D

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #1,166 of 3,181
Just got my RS6, forgot how much I loved the size of the R6 2020. My TPU case I bought for that months ago fits perfectly.

Not really a fan the volume knob on this, its kinda hard to use with the way its designed. There isn't much room for your finger to make contact with the knob to twist it, so basically I try move it a little bit then I use the on screen volume control to make the adjustments. Not a deal breaker, but it is a little annoying.

I also have had the R6 2020 for a year now and just received the new RS6 a few days ago. Interestingly, the issue with the volume knob that you described is exactly the opposite for me.

The volume wheel on my R6 has always been stiff and a little difficult to turn, so I also just learned to compensate by nudging it like you did and then use the screen volume to make adjustments.

My new RS6 has a much easier to move volume wheel, so my initial impression is I like it much better.

I guess this just confirms your observation that the volume wheel design in general isn’t that great. Just thought I’d throw it out there that this has been my experience.

Overall, I think the RS6 is great. I’m trying to do the “burn in” thing with it before I begin using it a lot but I never seem to have the patience for all of that. It’ll maybe get 20 hours of seasoning before I just say screw it and start listening every morning as this is how I begin my day ☕️.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,167 of 3,181
I also have had the R6 2020 for a year now and just received the new RS6 a few days ago. Interestingly, the issue with the volume knob that you described is exactly the opposite for me.

The volume wheel on my R6 has always been stiff and a little difficult to turn, so I also just learned to compensate by nudging it like you did and then use the screen volume to make adjustments.

My new RS6 has a much easier to move volume wheel, so my initial impression is I like it much better.

I guess this just confirms your observation that the volume wheel design in general isn’t that great. Just thought I’d throw it out there that this has been my experience.

Overall, I think the RS6 is great. I’m trying to do the “burn in” thing with it before I begin using it a lot but I never seem to have the patience for all of that. It’ll maybe get 20 hours of seasoning before I just say screw it and start listening every morning as this is how I begin my day ☕️.
Would be great to get your impressions of where the RS6 is different (or similar) to how you hear the R6 with your IEMs. What works for you and what doesn't.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #1,168 of 3,181
Would be great to get your impressions of where the RS6 is different (or similar) to how you hear the R6 with your IEMs. What works for you and what doesn't.
Let me do a little A-B testing of these two and post some thoughts. I’m not very good at describing sound and have far from “golden ears,” but I’ll give it a shot.

This might be sacrilege, (and has nothing to do with the internal DACs of these two units) but one of the underrated features of all these HiBy DAPs is their ability to transmit and receive their proprietary UAT Bluetooth codec.

If you’re like me, sometimes you like to change it up a bit and play around with Bluetooth to see if it is truly evolving into higher fidelity. If you have a budget set of IEMs that you no longer use much, pick up a set of HiBy’s WU1 Bluetooth neckband adapters and listen with your HiBy DAP as the source transmitter. UAT sounds incredible (to me) for Bluetooth. It’s never talked about though (that I see).

Anyway, I digress as most of us are interested in the sound of the R2R proprietary tech inside the RS6 🙂.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #1,169 of 3,181
RS6 software is amazing, screen is amazing, i prefer laterla volume wheel but i think depends on my habit.
I receive it yesterday and is burning.. I had short listening out of the box and was fine, i'm sure i will not have time to burn it enough but i'm pretty sure i'll miss it when i'll send it back to its owner :)
My friends are different :D
I do hope you have time to compare the sound quality of your Shanling M8 to that of the RS6 and post your findings here.

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #1,170 of 3,181

Yes, I'm also very interested in R6 2020 comparisons. I get that the RS6 has a lot of nifty sound related features and technology but does it actually sound better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back