HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #1,171 of 3,181
o hope you have time to compare the sound quality of your Shanling M8 to that of the RS6 and post your findi
I got 7H burnin, it's pretty soon to compare them, right now no contest...

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #1,172 of 3,181
I got 7H burnin, it's pretty soon to compare them, right now no contest...
I see that you also have W2: any comparisons (even first impressions) with that one along with M8 are also more than welcome :)

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,173 of 3,181
I normally convert to DSD, but I leave my PCM file as is.

It would be interesting to see of up sampling PCM-PCM will sound like.
Using OS vs NOS should pretty much accomplish that. I know it's actually oversampling but should give a similar result. On the R6 I use UAPP upsampling for single ended mode and Hiby player for balanced. Took a while to find the balanced setting I liked due to a post filter assumption about single ended vs balanced commonality on Hiby player. I use min phase slow roll for all but Hiby player single ended. 1st time I'm liking balanced on a DAP and it's with Hiby player with min slow roll.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,174 of 3,181
The RS6 is also much more musical than the R6 2020.
Is it just me? I think the R6 2020 with HIby player/slow roll/balanced quite good on all fronts. Hits a lot of marks. I find that some of the favored players I've heard lack a bit of leading edge and/or have what I would consider extra warmth.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,175 of 3,181
Is it just me? I think the R6 2020 with HIby player/slow roll/balanced quite good on all fronts. Hits a lot of marks. I find that some of the favored players I've heard lack a bit of leading edge and/or have what I would consider extra warmth.

i think the R6 2020 is still my favorite HiBy DAP overall for my own preferences out of the RS6, R8, and R6 2020. But both the RS6 and R8 are technically more capable from memory. That’s how I’m perceiving it so far at least.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,176 of 3,181
i think the R6 2020 is still my favorite HiBy DAP overall for my own preferences out of the RS6, R8, and R6 2020. But both the RS6 and R8 are technically more capable from memory. That’s how I’m perceiving it so far at least.
Viva la difference.:ksc75smile:

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,177 of 3,181
Is there any noticeable delay in USB DAC mode? Planning to get one and this is my only concern.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,178 of 3,181

The R8 is perceptibly more technically proficient than the RS6, but they each have their strengths that will appeal to different preferences. The R8 is also more neutral and 'transparent' in case that's important. More in the review...soon soon.

Is there any noticeable delay in USB DAC mode? Planning to get one and this is my only concern.

No there isn't. At least not as a USB DAC. Haven't tested for any delay in BT DAC mode. Also I don't notice it on music, but don't ask me if there's a delay in gaming or video playback as I don't use it for that.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,179 of 3,181
I see that you also have W2: any comparisons (even first impressions) with that one along with M8 are also more than welcome :)
RS6 needs a lot of burnin due to its ladder dac, right now sounds darker on highs comapred to M8 but this means nothing because it's new
W2 plays in different leaugue, you should compare it with S1/S2 or maybe with RU6, i'll compare W2 with Tri/Kaei TK2 that has similar price.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,180 of 3,181
So I just received my RS6 and in the process of doing the firmware update... looked up the thread didn't see that others had a "no network" OTA issue when trying to update... I'll get it online and do a local update then... off to burning this baby in afterwards :)

Apparently was not the only one as reported by @twister6

Edit : I don't see RS6 updates on the https://store.hiby.com/apps/help-center page... :-\

Edit #2 : Found the fix, used the "Clear cache" on the firmware page retried and it worked. I set private DNS to off in Wifi settings instead of automatic as well.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,182 of 3,181
i had no issues updating over Wi-Fi 🤷🏽‍♂️

Probably some weird cache issue worked flawlessly in case someone has the same issue it could help

I know it's out of the box but I have a feeling I am going to love the RS6 kudos to @MusicTeck for the speedy delivery as usual!
This birthday present to myself is spot on :)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,183 of 3,181
RS6 needs a lot of burnin due to its ladder dac, right now sounds darker on highs comapred to M8 but this means nothing because it's new
W2 plays in different leaugue, you should compare it with S1/S2 or maybe with RU6, i'll compare W2 with Tri/Kaei TK2 that has similar price.
The reason I'm asking is that I know how W2 sounds when compared to DX300 and M8 so your relative impressions could help me a lot to understand how it could sound to my ears :) everyone's hearing is different, that's the core reason all of us might prefer different IEMs and DAPs

Nov 10, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,184 of 3,181
Hello.
I'm considering buying the RS6 to replace my current headphone setup (Chord Mojo + Hiby R5s as coaxial transport), mostly to avoid having two gadgets connected by umbilical cord. I'd like to know if anyone has compared the sound of the RS6 to that of the Mojo and if there are any significant improvements. I'd listen to it mostly with Hifiman Ananda and CA Solaris.
I love Hiby's Android implementation and music app, and the R2R DACs have always caught my attention. I think that if it sounds like it should, could be a great device.

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #1,185 of 3,181
RS6_25.jpg

Hey guys, pleased to present my full review of the HiBy RS6. You'll find it here.
Feel free to comment directly, discuss below, or send me a PM. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back