HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,126 of 3,181
Oh dear, I have the darker clear case on order (even though I have the green leather case too). Hopefully Pentaconn fits, else that's a bust. Green looks great but I find the case makes the volume dial a bit too fiddly to use smoothly, and the cutouts aren't uniform (that's my OCD right there). Will compare the two once it arrives from Amazon Japan.
It should and if not, you can cut the case. Cheap enough. On the 2020 I cut for the Card slot and trimmed for the V control. Not super pretty because i didn't really care of the look but could be done cleanly with more effort.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,127 of 3,181
4.4mm with 3.5mm would have been an insane buy for me, but I guess iBasso is a business after all 😭
Not so sure it was a smart business decision. I would have made a blind buy of the DX240 if it supported 4.4mm out of the box. I guess all of those guys with 2.5mm cables need some DAP they can buy. I have been getting all of my best cables reterminated to 4.4mm and only buying new cables with 4.4mm.

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,128 of 3,181
Not so sure it was a smart business decision. I would have made a blind buy of the DX240 if it supported 4.4mm out of the box. I guess all of those guys with 2.5mm cables need some DAP they can buy. I have been getting all of my best cables reterminated to 4.4mm and only buying new cables with 4.4mm.

I think it’s more down to spacing in the AMP modules than anything. None of their “older generation” amps have 4.4mm and 3.5mm.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,129 of 3,181
I see many questions about RS6 vs N6ii w/R01. I guess the initial assumption was that RS6 with its discrete R-2R DAC architecture will be just cut'n'paste of R01 ckt. But in reality, R-2R DAC circuit in RS6 is tuned differently, utilizing the updated design in the heart of their own custom Darwin Architecture which includes FIR Filter (256-tap adjustable Impulse Response filter), Oversampling (removes sound aliasing artifacts), Nonlinear harmonics control, and Linearity compensation. There is also Non-oversampling (NOS) mode that bypasses FIR Filter and Oversampling for a more natural processing of the sound. So, overall, the design is not the same as N6ii with R01 module. And, we are also dealing with a superior Android 9 and Snapdragon 660 SoC (RS6) vs Android 8.1 and Snapdragon 425 (N6ii).

Of course, all this looks great on paper, but how does it translates into the actual sound comparison? I tested RS6 and N6ii w/R01, volume matched, in high gain, from 4.4mm BAL output, playing the same hi-res tracks and using the same pair of IEMs (Traillii w/First Time cable). Here is what I hear.

RS6 vs N6ii w/R01 - R01 soundstage spreads a little wider, while both have a similar depth/height. Other than this soundstage difference, the technical performance is very similar when it comes to dynamics and layering and separation of sounds. Tonality is where I hear a little more changes. Relative to listening with Traillii, bass has a similar sub-bass extension and overall weight and impact. But R01 has a fuller body lower mids while RS6 lower mids are a little more neutral in comparison. Then, when you zoom in closer into upper frequencies, upper mids and treble, the difference is reversed with R01 being brighter while RS6 being a little smoother. They both have a natural tonality, but as a result of above differences, RS6 sounds more neutral while R01 sounds a little more fun-colored. Not exactly a night and day difference, but it is noticeable.

Regarding NOS (non-oversampling) mode, I could be splitting hairs, but after going multiple dozen of times back and forth, I can hear a very subtle change with NOS making the soundstage just a touch wider and dynamics a bit more expanded. But the change is subtle to my ears. The same when going between Low-pass antialiasing filter presets, I can't hear any difference. But when using the same IEM and going through different Customized IEM Presets, the changes to my ears are a little more noticeable, but still more on a subtle delicate side of tuning where I hear a shift in imaging, like mids getting a little more depth vs width, or a slight change in tonality of mids becoming slightly more revealing. Interestingly enough, when changing Customized IEM presets, the selection of low-pass filter changes as well, which makes me believe that it is not just a filter by itself but a combination of other blocks in the chain that affect the sound.

And as I already mentioned, RS6 is super fast, and despite the same 3D benchmark score as R6 2020 and R8, it feels snappier and more responsive. The solid copper chassis add a nice heft to it, feels good to hold it. The optional green leather case adds a nice luxury look and a contrast with copper looks sick. Great little pocket friendly super fast Android DAP with a high quality default sound tuning thanks to its R-2R DAC w/custom Darwin architecture. For those who like tweaking the sound, you have access to system wide MSEB. For me personally, I like default settings, and while personalized IEM presets is a nice custom touch, I look at it as someone else's tweaking to fit their own personal sound taste.

So in short, even though picking an RS6 at this point in time would mean a great investment in a platform that absolutely has a longer future development roadmap ahead of it, from a quality perspective the N6ii-R01 doesn't necessarily pale in comparison and actually holds its own admirably... :)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,130 of 3,181
RS6 is on its way to me... fun times ahead :)

Thanks for all the impressions and comparisons!

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,131 of 3,181
My issue is opposite of you. Whenever i use an mqa song on uapp it show 705.6 next song is 44.1 but it still show 705.6.Only i choose dsd then it will revert back to normal. Hiby music app no issue.
Ah yes, I see what you mean. Could be a tweak HiBy made so that you don't get the 'popping' sound that used to happen when switching between MQA and non-MQA tracks. Maybe @Joe Bloggs can confirm, and also whether or not the rate displayed indicates upsampling? AFAIK it doesn't.
Unfortunately I cannot speculate as to how UAPP handles this.

From what I know about the workings of MQA, it would indeed be a lot easier to handle the track transitions, if all tracks were upsampled to the max unfolded MQA sample rate and simply switch between "informed" upsampling of MQA and regular upsampling of non MQA tracks. I don't really know if that's what UAPP actually does, although see here for some (possibly outdated) commentary: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...ort-for-android.704065/page-267#post-15731918

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,132 of 3,181
Unfortunately I cannot speculate as to how UAPP handles this.

From what I know about the workings of MQA, it would indeed be a lot easier to handle the track transitions, if all tracks were upsampled to the max unfolded MQA sample rate and simply switch between "informed" upsampling of MQA and regular upsampling of non MQA tracks. I don't really know if that's what UAPP actually does, although see here for some (possibly outdated) commentary: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...ort-for-android.704065/page-267#post-15731918

UAPP does have a deep scan feature where MQA is detected during library scan even without correct metadata. Of course this doesn't help with streaming, I assume. There are also upsampling features, but I haven't tried them (yet).

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,134 of 3,181

images - 2021-11-07T230459.327.jpeg

Wait, what...I think I've found an album that best showcases the quality of the RS6's R2R engine. I'm liking this better with the Empire Ears EVO on the RS6 than I did when I heard it on the R8 last night. Main point of difference is the vocals - Lana sounds so sweet on the RS6, a touch drier and more etchy on the R8. Not sure which is the more 'realistic' rendition but RS6's is easily my preference here. I suspect the RS6 might be emphasising the EVO's upper mids a touch more though, so it's not a clean win. I'll include this comparison in the RS6 review...coming this week.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #1,135 of 3,181
RS6 definitely has a pretty forward mid range presentation, but to my ears it’s rendered very smooth so I’m not minding it too much. It’s something I am keeping in my thoughts though. It helps add some nice depth to the sound. So far my unit has been on burn in almost constantly. Sound wise I can’t say I’m 100% sold yet over the SP2000T (for my preferences), but man the usability between both isn’t even a contest which is why I’m taking my sweet time with this one.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,136 of 3,181
RS6 definitely has a pretty forward mid range presentation, but to my ears it’s rendered very smooth so I’m not minding it too much. It’s something I am keeping in my thoughts though. It helps add some nice depth to the sound. So far my unit has been on burn in almost constantly. Sound wise I can’t say I’m 100% sold yet over the SP2000T (for my preferences), but man the usability between both isn’t even a contest which is why I’m taking my sweet time with this one.
It's in the back of my mind that the slight upper mid forwardness in the RS6 might work well for a less forward IEM. It's one reason the RS6 sounds sublime with the IE 900, but it'll have to consistently pair well with EVO to topple the R8...unless a less mid forward IEM comes along that topples EVO. Damn, this hobby.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,140 of 3,181
Yeah, the longer I listen, the less I'm convinced the RS6 is the right DAP for EVO. Which is a shame really but that's how the dice rolls. Which one will end up staying, that's a longer term question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back