Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
May 21, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,981 of 4,002
Thanks @Joe Bloggs!
For the moment I cannot say that the listening with hiss is a pleasure. Nevertheless I would like to avoid the situation, when I ship the R6pro back to Hiby assuming that it works incorrectly, but after the receipt of the device Hiby says that everything is withing the tolerance. I am fed of shipping the devices back and forth.
Could you please let us know what would be the right testing process, because I want to avoid useless moves if possible?
The available IEMs are:
  • Dunu DK-3001 = 13 Ohm / 110 dB
  • Dunu Falcon-C = 16 Ohm / 108 dB
  • TFZ King Pro = 55 Ohm / 108 dB
  • Fiio F9 = 28 Ohm / 106 dB
  • Dunu Titan 3 = 32 Ohm / 108 dB
  • Fiio LC-4.4C = 4.4 mm balanced MMCX cable
  • FiiO BL44 = 4.4mm to 2.5mm Balanced adapter cable
Thanks in advance!
I don't have any Hiss, with my XBA-N3 over 4.4 balanced using the MUC-M12SB1 cable, I do have the occasional EMI issues, I believe they are a design issue (from a lack of shielding probably done to improve wireless performances/solve wireless issues) which afflicts all devices to various degrees (mine is still managable, though a shame on a €800 device)

I have not tried other IEMs with it yet, I will try my Klipsch x10 later.

May 21, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,982 of 4,002
I don't have any Hiss, with my XBA-N3 over 4.4 balanced using the MUC-M12SB1 cable, I do have the occasional EMI issues, I believe they are a design issue (from a lack of shielding probably done to improve wireless performances/solve wireless issues) which afflicts all devices to various degrees (mine is still managable, though a shame on a €800 device)

I have not tried other IEMs with it yet, I will try my Klipsch x10 later.
I agree. I have the occasional emi issue but fortunately I don't keep my iphone close to the R6 or a wireless router. When its not near the router of iphone i have no emi issues and I have never had the hiss issue even with highly sensitive earbuds.

May 22, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,983 of 4,002
I got an instruction from Hiby customer service how to check the device. So it needs to take the IEM of about 60 Ohms impedance. In my case this is TFZ King Pro and put it into the 3,5mm SE. Then to check the hiss and EMI with and without the phone (phone being close to R6pro by appr. 15cm). Because I do not have the SE cable for TFZ and used the 2,5mm with 4,4mm Hiby adapter. As a result there is still the hiss hearable and it switches off in 10 sec after pause with a click in the left IEM. EMI was also available from time to time even if the phone lays in 50 cm.
I am not a big fan of RMA process to China and would like to avoid it if possible. May be my ears are too much sensitive to hiss, but as a matter of fact either R6 (non-pro), all Fiio X7 modifications and also via the Fiio E12DIY did give completely black background to the same sensitive IEMs.
Could those of you guys, who face the hiss issue, check the devices the same way and post the results?

May 22, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #1,984 of 4,002
Firmware update 1.15G beta for international version R6 pros has been uploaded to OTA!

Changelog:
1. Added the portal function of USB audio input -> R6 Pro -> Bluetooth audio output
2. R6 Pro can now act as a Bluetooth audio receiver as well as transmitter
3. Added idle automatic shutdown function (Set option in Setting -> Battery)
4. Added user and account functions in system setting (Available for some apps and Google Play)
5. Fixed other bugs (presumably including the bugs existing Bluetooth connections

Best regards,
HiBy team

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 22, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,985 of 4,002
Firmware update 1.15G beta for international version R6 pros has been uploaded to OTA!

Changelog:
1. Added the portal function of USB audio input -> R6 Pro -> Bluetooth audio output
4. Added user and account functions in system setting (Available for some apps and Google Play)
5. Fixed other bugs (presumably including the bugs existing Bluetooth connections

Best regards,
HiBy team

The bluetooth receiver feature is something I had been waiting for a while, but I just tested it and it turns out to be limited to SBC, which makes it very much useless, is there a plan to add LDAC codec as an input? (which would make it a must have feature when paired with any android phone on 8.0+)

May 22, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #1,986 of 4,002
For what its worth, I have had the R6 Pro since March (Intl Version), and no hiss issues whatsoever with my collection of 5 IEMs: JH Audio IEMs (Roxanne, Lola, 16Pro, and TriFi Limited Edition) and Klipsch X11i and non of them had any hissing. The impedance of these IEMs varies between 15 and 20 ohms.

I very much believe that hissing issues people are seeing is IEM sensitivity dependent. Not sure if this can be construed as a design fault with the Pro 6, more a case (like with many DAPs) that some DAPs do not match well with certain IEMs brands/models. I do sympethise very much though with ppl here who like/use certain IEMs, and they feel they have to choose between switching IEMs, or ditching the R6 Pro. It took me ages to find IEMs that suit my listening taste, and I am simply lucky that I just happen to be a fan of the JH Audio IEMs sound sig, and JH Audio IEMs just happen to be very compatible with the R6 Pro.

Some DAPs are just more forgiving with different IEMs than others. R6 Pro seems a bit picky.

The EMI interference issue is a whole different thing, and does seem to be a design or manufacturing QC issue. In my case it was eliminated by using the Cayin type 4.4 to 2.5 angled adapter.
The free Hiby supplied 4.4 to 2.5 wired adapter was a disaster and was causing a "symphony" of interference noises. I still find hard to believe that an adapter can make so much difference.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #1,988 of 4,002
For what its worth, I have had the R6 Pro since March (Intl Version), and no hiss issues whatsoever with my collection of 5 IEMs: JH Audio IEMs (Roxanne, Lola, 16Pro, and TriFi Limited Edition) and Klipsch X11i and non of them had any hissing. The impedance of these IEMs varies between 15 and 20 ohms.

I very much believe that hissing issues people are seeing is IEM sensitivity dependent. Not sure if this can be construed as a design fault with the Pro 6, more a case (like with many DAPs) that some DAPs do not match well with certain IEMs brands/models. I do sympethise very much though with ppl here who like/use certain IEMs, and they feel they have to choose between switching IEMs, or ditching the R6 Pro. It took me ages to find IEMs that suit my listening taste, and I am simply lucky that I just happen to be a fan of the JH Audio IEMs sound sig, and JH Audio IEMs just happen to be very compatible with the R6 Pro.

Some DAPs are just more forgiving with different IEMs than others. R6 Pro seems a bit picky.

The EMI interference issue is a whole different thing, and does seem to be a design or manufacturing QC issue. In my case it was eliminated by using the Cayin type 4.4 to 2.5 angled adapter.
The free Hiby supplied 4.4 to 2.5 wired adapter was a disaster and was causing a "symphony" of interference noises. I still find hard to believe that an adapter can make so much difference.

This is awesome information. So I'm looking for the perfect pair of IEM's + cable + connectors, etc. to pair with the R6 Pro... Do you have any advice? It sounds like you like the JH Audio IEM?

May 22, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,989 of 4,002
So here's something interesting... I installed the yeuyeumusic plugin on the HiByMusic app that supposedly helps sound quality in the car.

Long story short, enabling the plugin seems to reduce the quality of a 24/192 flac down to 96k. Noticeable drop in sound quality! DSD's stay the same...

May 22, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,990 of 4,002
So here's something interesting... I installed the yeuyeumusic plugin on the HiByMusic app that supposedly helps sound quality in the car.

Long story short, enabling the plugin seems to reduce the quality of a 24/192 flac down to 96k. Noticeable drop in sound quality! DSD's stay the same...
Did you perhaps notice the soundstage becoming more centered to the driver? I guess this is what the "driver only" mode does, anyway.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 22, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,991 of 4,002
This is awesome information. So I'm looking for the perfect pair of IEM's + cable + connectors, etc. to pair with the R6 Pro... Do you have any advice? It sounds like you like the JH Audio IEM?

Glad this info could be of help to you.

Not wishing to go off forum, and only in the spirit of IEMs that match well with the Pro 6, I will elaborate a little: I like the JH Audio IEMs sound sig and tonality for many reasons, main ones being a) clean, "effortless", and non fatiguing sound (Jerry Harvey designs these IEMs to be worn by musicians for *endless* hours without sound fatigue setting in, b) they are not shrill, sibilant or harsh at the high end frequencies (harshness and sibilance is my biggest hate in many other IEMs), and c) they are very accommodating of any genre you may like. Over the years I find my genre leanings evolve constantly (over the past few years I moved from EDM, to country music, to deep-house/nu-Disco, to lately acoustic guitar with male/female vocals), and these IEMs played beautifully with all these genres. They have been described by others as a little "warm" leaning, rather than clinically neutral. But that suits me fine.

The key thing here though, is that they are great match in my humble opinion to the Pro 6 (besides there being no hissing issues whatsoever).

I would say at least try and audition few of their IEMs if you can, just to see if they are to your taste (they also market some IEMs under the Astel and Kern brand collaboration). They have a few offices around the US, hopefully one is close enough for your to go and audition. Their own brand IEMs are not the cheapest, and range from USD 800 to USD 2600 (the ones co-branded with Astel and Kern start at less, around USD 400 or so), but perhaps you can pick something on eBay if outright new is perhaps not in your budget. I have been very patient in buying mine, spending months scouring the Internet to get discounted ones.. including from Japan and Hong Kong.

I think I will stop here so as not to *really* go off topic, but if you would like to know more on the above, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,992 of 4,002

Changelog:

Best regards,
HiBy team

Thank you so much for your efforts, HiBy Team, especially for the Bluetooth receiver implementation! It has been one of the features that I have been waiting for my R6 Pro. Great job!

May 22, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,993 of 4,002
Thank you so much for your efforts, HiBy Team, especially for the Bluetooth receiver implementation! It has been one of the features that I have been waiting for my R6 Pro. Great job!
It's SBC only though, so the quality leaves to be desired, we really need LDAC support to this feature. LDAC has native support on android 8.1, so that shouldn't be too hard. The competition understood that bluetooth reciever using SBC on a dedicated audio device is somewhat lacking, even Fiio on their M11 which is stuck on Android 7 without native LDAC support, took the effort of adding LDAC support to their bluetooth receiver feature.

The likes of iBasso on their DX220 or all current Sony DAPs also support this.

At the very least, I can listen to podcasts from my phone I guess, listening to music over SBC is still out of the question.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #1,994 of 4,002
On a side note, that's a sneak peek of my Hiby R6 Pro connected to my Stax setup.

It sounds out of this world, but so does almost anything connected to a Stax system.

WwXoXbJ.jpg

wlOcw4D.jpg

May 22, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,995 of 4,002
Hey all...
Curious as to your experience with the "best bang for the buck" in terms of quality and reliability for a 1TB micro sd card.
I see prices ranging from $30 all the way up to near $500.

Can someone recommend a really good, reasonably priced (if possible) 1TB micro sd card?
(btw... not interested in anything with smaller capacity than 1TB).

Many thanks.
Dude, 1Tb cards JUST released. Avoid like the plague!!!! While amazon has been having sales that one will be up there for a while. SanDisk, Samsung and Transcend are all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back