Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
May 23, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #2,011 of 4,006
Yes, 2.11.3 did have the side effect of making everything double in output frequency, MQA or no MQA. This is all fine and normal for an MQA decoder per MQA standards because, the final arbiter of whether something is MQA or not lies within the compressed bitstream itself in the "below background noise bits" of each sample (e.g. 2 bits per sample for a 16-bit stream), so it can't actually be properly decoded in the first second of so after skipping to a new track or the middle of a track via seeking. The way to deal with this as recommended by MQA is to upsample everything using the MQA upsampler whether or not it is MQA, to prevent glitches in the audio when playing something not identifying itself as MQA in advance (via filename or tags) that unexpectedly happens to be MQA.
@Joe Bloggs

Sorry to resurrect a dormant post, especially since it is probably a question already asked...

Will Tidal 2.11.3 properly do the first unfold in offline mode on the R6 Pro? I think I know the answer, but best for me to get the best answer straight from the source!

May 24, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #2,012 of 4,006
I also have serious stutters on the latest update while connected to my ZX300 through LDAC only as far as 1 meter away. This is seriously unacceptable for a device of this price range.

I might have made a little progress with this, thought I'd share in case it helps anyone narrow down the problem. I picked the unit back up today to scour the menu settings for anything I might have missed, and found:
Settings->System->Reset options->Reset Wi-Fi, Mobile & Bluetooth

Pretty basic. Did the reset, then left the unit offline, and paired a new set of NAD Viso HP70's. Fired up Spotify offline and it started working much better than before. Very few dropouts while I'm not moving around, still getting a some when walking around but it's night and day. Tidal offline is working well too.

Then I tried to connect to Wi-Fi again. First attempt said I 'connected' but unit wouldn't actually stream anything, App Store was blank, etc. Rebooted, then streaming started working. Then it stopped working again after I started looking around in the system menus while streaming. Forgot the network, reconnected, and it was ok for maybe 45 minutes, then stopped streaming despite still saying 'connected.' Seems a little less stable on the wifi front so far, but the BT is much better.

One more variable that might have affected both Wi-Fi and BT for me, but not sure: while trying to debug some network problems on a different device, I had set my AC SSID to stop broadcasting, leaving only N left to broadcast. I turned AC back on this morning, and that's what its connected to now. Really not sure what impact that had since I don't remember when it was on/off vs when I was messing with this thing. I'm running a mesh network with a bunch of Orbi Pros, I did reset most of them today too. E/w, doing the reset, and then playing some offline stuff could be a start for anyone trying to narrow this down.

So I:
- Reset the WiFi / Mobile / BT
- Paired a set of headphones I hadn't tried with this before (will try the previous ones at some point and report back)
- Might have switched from N to AC wifi

BT is much better now, not 100% perfect but clearly better. Wifi is maybe/probably a little less stable.

May 24, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #2,013 of 4,006
I am enjoying my R6 pro

I like a semi wireless Bluetooth situation so I will be using the HiBy W5 via its UAT Bluetooth when it gets here or most likely will buy another Radsone ES100 (lost my last one) via LDAC Bluetooth

I find the Hiby very heavy but I sort of like that. If I can get it out of a pocket or rucksack without getting tangled in headphone cables I will be very happy.

Being able to get phone calls and phone message sound alerts is very important for me so the ES100 will be great as it has Bluetooth multi pairing (R6 & iPhone)

I also like to use a global equaliser - so that's another great plus for the ES100 I can have the same eq across HiBy Music and Qobuz streaming AND downloads.

It would be great if there was a global eq on the HiBy in future (It's no good just having one on the HiBy Music app - because it can't be applied across all android music apps)

I am selling my Fiio M9

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #2,014 of 4,006
Hey there - I was looking at the same screen protector. Did you get yours ? any feedback on its quality, look, feel, durability, etc?
My screen protector should be arriving sometime near the end of the month. I'll definitely let you guys know once it arrives.

As it stands, my current screen protector is picking up quite a lot of scratches. Takes the gloss out of such a fine device, from an aesthetics viewpoint.

May 24, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #2,015 of 4,006
My screen protector should be arriving sometime near the end of the month. I'll definitely let you guys know once it arrives.

As it stands, my current screen protector is picking up quite a lot of scratches. Takes the gloss out of such a fine device, from an aesthetics viewpoint.
Hey what screen protector did you get? I had a scratch on my screen protector that came on it that looked like the screen was cracked. I even lifted it up a little to take a peak!

May 24, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #2,016 of 4,006
I didn't think anything of this, but I have this issue as well with the SE port connected to my Beyerdynamic Xelento Remote, except the click is in the right IEM after the hiss stops after 10 or so seconds. I thought it was just normal as I could barely hear it with my high volume music before, but now that I think about it the hiss is abnormally noticeable even with music playing. When I was playing music to my car speakers the other day, I had what seemed to be EMI interference too, because when I waved my R6 Pro in the air there was massive noise coming through the speakers in tandem with how fast I waved my arm. I thought that I needed to replace the cable, but now that I'm reading what people are saying here, is it the R6 Pro? What should I do? Is my unit defective?

Well I can't really say whether a bit of constant hiss with the Xelento is defective or not. They DO have the famed Tesla drivers with exceptionally high sensitivity...
As for waving your R6 pro around while using it as a line out source, are you sure the cable didn't come loose because of that? That would cause massive noise no problem :D

Two Questions that I can't find answered anywhere. Sorry if I missed them
1. When I have my bluetooth Bang & Olufsen H9is connected the light on the power button shows light blue no matter what is playing. i.e., it gives the indication that no track is playing. What's happening with that? The player/headphones are operating normally and it plays just fine. I'm just wondering what is going on inside the player.

2. Any update on fixing the Tidal master downloads only play at lower resolution?

Thanks

1. according to the R6(pro)'s light colors definitions it also shows blue for any output sample rate up to and including 48kHz, which is where most bluetooth output is at.
2. I was going to start answer this but I see jsmiller had answered this and the several follow-ups already :D

@Joe Bloggs

Sorry to resurrect a dormant post, especially since it is probably a question already asked...

Will Tidal 2.11.3 properly do the first unfold in offline mode on the R6 Pro? I think I know the answer, but best for me to get the best answer straight from the source!

I should think so--what exactly is your concern that makes you wonder?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,017 of 4,006
May 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #2,018 of 4,006
Well I can't really say whether a bit of constant hiss with the Xelento is defective or not. They DO have the famed Tesla drivers with exceptionally high sensitivity...
As for waving your R6 pro around while using it as a line out source, are you sure the cable didn't come loose because of that? That would cause massive noise no problem :D

1. according to the R6(pro)'s light colors definitions it also shows blue for any output sample rate up to and including 48kHz, which is where most bluetooth output is at.
2. I was going to start answer this but I see jsmiller had answered this and the several follow-ups already :D

I should think so--what exactly is your concern that makes you wonder?
Thanks! I thought that Tidal/R6 Pro was doing the first unfold correctly in offline since somewhere I thought I read that, but I could not find the post where that was stated explicitly so I wanted to check! :)

May 26, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #2,019 of 4,006
Firmware update 1.15G beta for international version R6 pros has been uploaded to OTA!

Changelog:
1. Added the portal function of USB audio input -> R6 Pro -> Bluetooth audio output
2. R6 Pro can now act as a Bluetooth audio receiver as well as transmitter
3. Added idle automatic shutdown function (Set option in Setting -> Battery)
4. Added user and account functions in system setting (Available for some apps and Google Play)
5. Fixed other bugs (presumably including the bugs existing Bluetooth connections

Best regards,
HiBy team
Is there a sound change?

May 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,020 of 4,006
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 26, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,022 of 4,006
Updated!

May 27, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #2,023 of 4,006
2E33B262-1675-4960-9FC3-F7F690C227A5.jpeg
What is this all about?

I can't seem to acess the Hiby Music app

I just updated it

May 27, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #2,025 of 4,006
Ha! Thanks that worked.

That page needs some more info!! Or folks will panic.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back