Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
May 23, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #1,996 of 4,006
Hi all,

I picked one of these up hoping to use it with aptX HD, but so far bluetooth streaming for me has been unusable, lot's of stuttering and skipping. I was holding out for the new firmware that just got released since it was supposed to have BT updates, but after the update it's still the same. I've tried with Amiron Wireless, Bose QC35, and the Nuraphones, same issue on all of them. It's particularly bad if I start walking around with it - more silence than sound. The only thing that keeps it stable is holding it directly to the side of the headphones that has its BT in it, even moving it to the other side of my head I'll get frequent dropouts. Wifi has been rock solid on it, but to rule that out as a potential source of the problem I tried using downloaded Tidal tracks in offline mode, Wifi disabled, no luck. Also tried stopping the system BT app, clearing the data, rebooting, re-pairing all the cans, still no luck. Running Tidal 2.12.2, and whatever version of Spotify is up on the app store.

Any thoughts? I saw there was a Qualcomm driver update I could download, not sure if that's also done OTA? Has anyone had this issue, applied that, and had it go away?

'About Device' says I'm on Andriod 8.1.0, build 1.15GBeta, Kernel 3.18.71-perf

Really hoping to keep this thing, the interface is great and the latest USB DAC -> BT would be something I'd use to get aptX HD on Windows 10, but I know the return period is going to start coming up quick.

May 23, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #1,997 of 4,006
Hi all,

I picked one of these up hoping to use it with aptX HD, but so far bluetooth streaming for me has been unusable, lot's of stuttering and skipping. I was holding out for the new firmware that just got released since it was supposed to have BT updates, but after the update it's still the same. I've tried with Amiron Wireless, Bose QC35, and the Nuraphones, same issue on all of them. It's particularly bad if I start walking around with it - more silence than sound. The only thing that keeps it stable is holding it directly to the side of the headphones that has its BT in it, even moving it to the other side of my head I'll get frequent dropouts. Wifi has been rock solid on it, but to rule that out as a potential source of the problem I tried using downloaded Tidal tracks in offline mode, Wifi disabled, no luck. Also tried stopping the system BT app, clearing the data, rebooting, re-pairing all the cans, still no luck. Running Tidal 2.12.2, and whatever version of Spotify is up on the app store.

Any thoughts? I saw there was a Qualcomm driver update I could download, not sure if that's also done OTA? Has anyone had this issue, applied that, and had it go away?

'About Device' says I'm on Andriod 8.1.0, build 1.15GBeta, Kernel 3.18.71-perf

Really hoping to keep this thing, the interface is great and the latest USB DAC -> BT would be something I'd use to get aptX HD on Windows 10, but I know the return period is going to start coming up quick.

I also have serious stutters on the latest update while connected to my ZX300 through LDAC only as far as 1 meter away. This is seriously unacceptable for a device of this price range.

May 23, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #1,998 of 4,006
I am experiencing the Bluetooth dropouts and short range as well with my B&O H9is. The 1.15 update didn't change anything for me.

May 23, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,999 of 4,006
I got the hiss issue and EMI issue with both balanced and SE on:
Dunu DK-3001 = 13 Ohm / 110 dB
Dunu Falcon-C = 16 Ohm / 108 dB
TFZ King Pro = 55 Ohm / 108 dB

No issue at all with Sennheiser HD650, but IMHO no enough juice to drive them either.

The hiss appears after the play started and switches off 10 sec after the pause with a loud click mostly in the left IEM.
It does not depend on the volume setting. With the zero volume it's the same.
I am not surprised about Dunu, but why is it almost the same with TFZ and 55 Ohm?

Can you please tell which IEMs are considered by Hiby for r6pro for no-hiss listening?
What are the positive experience? I am interested in the IEM of the level like Dunu DK-3001 as a max for the budget.
I've talked to our team and your situation is also regarded as a defective R6 pro. We'll get back to you on facebook :)
I didn't think anything of this, but I have this issue as well with the SE port connected to my Beyerdynamic Xelento Remote, except the click is in the right IEM after the hiss stops after 10 or so seconds. I thought it was just normal as I could barely hear it with my high volume music before, but now that I think about it the hiss is abnormally noticeable even with music playing. When I was playing music to my car speakers the other day, I had what seemed to be EMI interference too, because when I waved my R6 Pro in the air there was massive noise coming through the speakers in tandem with how fast I waved my arm. I thought that I needed to replace the cable, but now that I'm reading what people are saying here, is it the R6 Pro? What should I do? Is my unit defective?

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,000 of 4,006
I didn't think anything of this, but I have this issue as well with the SE port connected to my Beyerdynamic Xelento Remote, except the click is in the right IEM after the hiss stops after 10 or so seconds. What should I do? Is my unit defective?
@Joe Bloggs is best to answer if you have a particular defective unit.

I have hiss on my more sensitive IEMs. I have only tried balanced, not SE, but electrically there is no reason why fundamentally SE cannot have hiss on some DAPs and IEMs.

My impression is that in the R6 Pro we have a DAP with power to drive just about anything - IEMs and cans. Along with that power comes hiss for very sensitive IEMs. My guess, based on that impression, is that unless you really have something hard to drive like over ear headphones, you may actually be better off with a different DAP. I am sure that there are reasonably priced DAPs that will drive any IEM just fine, and not hiss on virtually any. The trade off will be power. But this is just a guess.

For me, I am perfectly fine now with the sound even with sensitive IEMs, but when the hiss does bother me I just pull out my IEMatch.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,001 of 4,006
Two Questions that I can't find answered anywhere. Sorry if I missed them
1. When I have my bluetooth Bang & Olufsen H9is connected the light on the power button shows light blue no matter what is playing. i.e., it gives the indication that no track is playing. What's happening with that? The player/headphones are operating normally and it plays just fine. I'm just wondering what is going on inside the player.

2. Any update on fixing the Tidal master downloads only play at lower resolution?

Thanks

May 23, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,002 of 4,006
Two Questions that I can't find answered anywhere. Sorry if I missed them
1. When I have my bluetooth Bang & Olufsen H9is connected the light on the power button shows light blue no matter what is playing. i.e., it gives the indication that no track is playing. What's happening with that? The player/headphones are operating normally and it plays just fine. I'm just wondering what is going on inside the player.

2. Any update on fixing the Tidal master downloads only play at lower resolution?

Thanks
For Tidal you will have to install the older 2.11.3 version from an apk site. Disable Play Store auto updates (within Play Store you can update all the other apps manually). Always turn down the suggestion Tidal will give to update.

May 23, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #2,003 of 4,006
For Tidal you will have to install the older 2.11.3 version from an apk site. Disable Play Store auto updates (within Play Store you can update all the other apps manually). Always turn down the suggestion Tidal will give to update.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm wondering if HiBy is working on a fix or if this is totally a Tidal problem.
This is my first HiBy product and I'm trying to get a handle on how they do things.

May 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #2,004 of 4,006
the other apps manually). Always turn down the suggestion Tidal will give to update.
I did this, as you suggested, and now all the songs appear to be playing in Master (green light is on for everything - hifi, master, download or streaming).
Have I missed something?

May 23, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #2,005 of 4,006
I did this, as you suggested, and now all the songs appear to be playing in Master (green light is on for everything - hifi, master, download or streaming).
Have I missed something?
I think there is a post from @Joe Bloggs on this thread somewhere that explains it... in order to get MQA to work properly they upsample everything (but maybe I am butchering that?)...

As to a fix to enable the latest versions of Tidal... I asked @Joe Bloggs a few pages ago and he said that due to the architecture of Tidal this was very difficult. No idea if that means never, or a long time from now...

May 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #2,006 of 4,006
jsmiller - you are a God Send!

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I'll stop bothering you and go back to listening to the music ... no matter the color of the light!

DD

May 23, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,007 of 4,006
Firmware update 1.15G beta for international version R6 pros has been uploaded to OTA!

Changelog:
1. Added the portal function of USB audio input -> R6 Pro -> Bluetooth audio output
2. R6 Pro can now act as a Bluetooth audio receiver as well as transmitter
3. Added idle automatic shutdown function (Set option in Setting -> Battery)
4. Added user and account functions in system setting (Available for some apps and Google Play)
5. Fixed other bugs (presumably including the bugs existing Bluetooth connections

Best regards,
HiBy team

This update sounds very good. How about you?

May 23, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2,008 of 4,006
jsmiller - you are a God Send!

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I'll stop bothering you and go back to listening to the music ... no matter the color of the light!

DD
No problem!!! I am only paying forward all the great help others have provided me on Head-if :)

May 23, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #2,009 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs is best to answer if you have a particular defective unit.

I have hiss on my more sensitive IEMs. I have only tried balanced, not SE, but electrically there is no reason why fundamentally SE cannot have hiss on some DAPs and IEMs.

My impression is that in the R6 Pro we have a DAP with power to drive just about anything - IEMs and cans. Along with that power comes hiss for very sensitive IEMs. My guess, based on that impression, is that unless you really have something hard to drive like over ear headphones, you may actually be better off with a different DAP. I am sure that there are reasonably priced DAPs that will drive any IEM just fine, and not hiss on virtually any. The trade off will be power. But this is just a guess.

For me, I am perfectly fine now with the sound even with sensitive IEMs, but when the hiss does bother me I just pull out my IEMatch.
Should I be seeing EMI interference with the SE port though.... I don't think that's natural.
Also, with the new update, would this cable now work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Type-C-to-3-5mm-Gold-Plating-Coaxial-Cable-for-HiBy-R3/264284687333

May 23, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #2,010 of 4,006
Should I be seeing EMI interference with the SE port though.... I don't think that's natural.
Also, with the new update, would this cable now work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Type-C-to-3-5mm-Gold-Plating-Coaxial-Cable-for-HiBy-R3/264284687333
Again, better for @Joe Bloggs to answer, but here is my take (I am an electrical engineer, so can form an opinion, but since I don't know the internal design and construction my opinion is just slightly better than a guess...)

EMI issues should be independent of whether it is SE or balanced. The interference is likely being picked up by either one of the antennae (wifi or BT) or some unshielded traces. If it actually is just the balanced output, it isn't fundamental to a balanced output, but because that is the circuitry in the R6 Pro where the unshielded trace is located.

I would doubt, if my theories above are even close to right, that any firmware fix will have any effect.

There is, additionally, the issue of using a wired 4.4 to 2.5 adapter... That is, in my opinion, just asking for even more interference, if the wires in the adapter are not properly shielded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back