Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Nov 6, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #1,171 of 2,044
Yana, I believe the correct gain maybe the higher one because it locks to that one for a reason. The low gain before maybe incorrect.

I am the other customer requesting gain selection because actually, whilst true clean LO mode which usually caps at 2vrms on 3.5mm or 4vrms balanced is somewhat a reference standard for some devices, but it is actually not true that LO gain is always not changeable on many other devices, in fact many other DAP companies, e.g. Astell kern on their latest ultima, Shanling (tho not a true LO but a digital LO), Cayin N7 or say topping dacs like e70 or d70 (have LO gain options of 2 or 2.5vrms as an adverised feature because they know some preamps or power amps need more gain). I believe that if a product can give this feature as 'an option' , it will be more useful and inclusive to those users who need such a feature such as myself and I believe there will be many others. My thinking is that since if given as a feature just like Phone out gain with low med high users can simply choose what they want or need, they make this an option for PO for good reasons because of different headphones impedance and behavior, different gain gives different sonic character, in my case using tube amp med or high gain on LO brings more forward the vocals and dynamics low gain is kinda flat. This hobby is highly personal and I appreciate customisable features like mseb in hiby which is why I bought both the Tempotec v6 and this R6proii, the more options to me the better because this hobby has so much to do with customisability, I hope you can understand there maybe users like me who would actually appreciate or need LO gain to have option just like PO. In fact I am considering the Cayin N7 for their dedicated LO circuit which also has pre-out... I think that if Hiby decides to put gain options on LO just like on the tempotec V6 or Astell Kern or shanling and many models, it will just resolve this issue for both groups who don't want gain change (simply choose the gain you want and leave it) and those who do ( choose the gain they need for their system knowing that they have options just like PO)

btw, my device got to 45degrees using med gain 3.5mm PO at about 70vol and it feels pretty hot, 49degrees on 4.4mm PO med gain at 60vol... do yours get that hot?
I understand your point of view but the problem is I pre-ordered my R6 PRO II and was one of the 1st owners. When I received it and noticed this behavior I asked Hiby if this behavior was a normal one because I never experienced this with any others Daps. They told me " no, it's a bug solved in the next firmware" Two firmwares later, the bug (if it is really one) is not solved. That's why I'm disapointed and why I don't understand Joe Bloggs' answer.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #1,172 of 2,044
I understand your point of view but the problem is I pre-ordered my R6 PRO II and was one of the 1st owners. When I received it and noticed this behavior I asked Hiby if this behavior was a normal one because I never experienced this with any others Daps. They told me " no, it's a bug solved in the next firmware" Two firmwares later, the bug (if it is really one) is not solved. That's why I'm disapointed and why I don't understand Joe Bloggs' answer.
I hear you Yana, I think they are still ironing out many things, my Hiby Cast just keeps crashing when I try to use it, their latest firmware 1.21 was worst for me using both hiby music app and Neutron because it can't even scan my song library properly without crashing everytime.

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #1,173 of 2,044
Anyone tried using lcd2 classic with this dap? Was it sufficiently powered?

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #1,174 of 2,044
I hear you Yana, I think they are still ironing out many things, my Hiby Cast just keeps crashing when I try to use it, their latest firmware 1.21 was worst for me using both hiby music app and Neutron because it can't even scan my song library properly without crashing everytime.
I have been in contact with the Neutron developer, who gave me this debug version of Neutron from which you would be able to obtain detailed crash logs by following the instructions here:

https://www.browserstack.com/guide/how-to-get-android-app-crash-logs

The apk: (sent by pm)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,176 of 2,044
I received a 1.22 firmware from Hiby about the LO gain bug. Now LO gain is switchable on each level...I thought this should be static as they told me in the first email...🤔

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #1,177 of 2,044
Agreed the line out gain is confusing. I hear one volume level and when i just open the audio settings, not even touching the gain option, the sound gets louder and none of the gain options do anything and i cant make it quieter again without reducing the volume...

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,180 of 2,044
@Joe Bloggs Could you comment on the issue I discovered where all 8 processors are running flat out all the time and changing from Performance mode to Normal gets reset after a re-boot please?

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,182 of 2,044
There are other DAPs where you can also change the gain when using LO.
It works like this on the Dx320.
Ok thanks for the precision. Never had such a dap and Hiby told me in our first exchanges by email, LO gain should be static on this DAP...That's why I was surprised...

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,183 of 2,044
@Joe Bloggs Could you comment on the issue I discovered where all 8 processors are running flat out all the time and changing from Performance mode to Normal gets reset after a re-boot please?
I think a more fundamental question is whether “CPU mode” actually does anything on the R6 Pro II… my measurements show no difference in temperature and battery draw when only playing music, leading me to speculate that this option is actually not changing anything.

As to your CPUs being maxed out at 100%… I should download the app you are using to see what my CPU usage is… but I do wonder if you have some background usage that is consuming CPU cycles (you may have to go through the apps in the settings and “force stop” apps as some don’t completely shut down with an up-swipe).

What CPU activity measuring app are you using?

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,184 of 2,044
It is as programmed, however as others have mentioned, it shouldn't be affecting the temperature, when playing music, as the amplifier power consumption and heat dissipation dwarfs the CPU power consumption. If your temperature while playing music is significantly different via this setting there may be other issues involved. Have you been in contact with us via hello@hiby.com ?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back