Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #1,111 of 2,044
That's a good question. However, I don't remember which IEMs they have. I just mean in general. When you listen to the Hiby do you automatically start tapping your feet? Or is the sound too cool and analytical for that?
I wouldn't call R6P2 cool or analytical more like neutral and balanced. It's not as much fun as M8 but it will get your toes tapping with the right iem. :smirk_cat::smirk_cat:

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #1,112 of 2,044
Both daps sound good but are quite different. M8 is full-bodied and warmer with deeper bass. R6P2 is brighter with more focus on the upper mids and treble. M8 has a wider and deeper sound stage and R6P2 has the advantage in height. M8 has slightly better detailing. M8 is noticeably more powerful although I've had no problem driving iems with R6P2. I'm using 64 Audio Treo with Tritian Audio Cardas Clear 2-wire cable in this comparison. I bought the R6P2 for portability but it's actually taller than M8 but not as thick and weighs a lot less. It also does not heat up like the M8. If I could only own 1 it would be a no-brainer I'd take the M8. :beerchug:
Ohh, that doesn't sound so great to me. Brighter and focused on the upper mids and highs. I'm sensitive to that. After the last update, the treble on the M8 was damn good for me. But for me the upper mids are worse when they are too emphasized and tend to scream like iBasso DX 300 and especially the 320. Let's see if I can find a shop that has the Hiby R 6 Pro II and the Shannling M6 Ultra to demonstrate . I'd rather not order it blindly. Thank you for your comparison and your honest opinion.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #1,113 of 2,044
I wouldn't call R6P2 cool or analytical more like neutral and balanced. It's not as much fun as M8 but it will get your toes tapping with the right iem. :smirk_cat::smirk_cat:
OK thanks. Then I'll listen to it first. But it seems as if the Hiby doesn't sound as terrible as the DX 320. @nioh had already mentioned that. I don't mean to say that the 320 sounds bad. But it's just not for me or my ears. Not that anyone misunderstands me.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #1,114 of 2,044
I chose "uncomfortable" to mean that I can hold it when using it in class A mode at medium volume with the screen on, but not for very long and never hot enough to burn me. It's fine in AB mode so no problem as I expect class A to run hotter.

Having had the Pro II for a couple of weeks now, the button placement is the biggest annoyance for me but there's nothing to be done about that. Otherwise I really like the device and particularly its sound, the only problems I've come across are:

* When I start my Solitaire or Sudoku apps while music is playing, the music stops and I've yet to find an easy way of restarting it (pressing play doesn't, although after a while it sometimes does). This is so when using Hiby Music, UAPP and Amazon Music but doesn't happen on my phones so it is a bug as it was the same with the Gen III I had previously.

* I wish the EQ/PEQ sections could be moved to system-wide. I currently have 4 different EQs to adjust when one would make much more sense. I sincerely hope this can be achieved, especially as UAPP (correctly) reduces the volume after EQ while Hiby Music and Amazon Music don't so I am surprised by higher than expected volume when I switch.

* There is a lot of lag with Bluetooth. If I try to use the Pro II to play videos on my PC wirelessly through it I have experienced up to 12 seconds delay. Devices like the Qudelix 5K manage it with very little lag so it must be possible. Is there a reason why DAPs struggle with this?

* I have had a few crashes with this and the Gen III - I left the Gen III powered on and charging and came back to it to find it completely dead (support told me about pressing Power and Next together for a few seconds and that brought it back to life); a similar thing happened with the Pro II when I left it powered off and charging once; and it completely hung while I was using it once, but it is a new device so I allow for a few bugs.

* Battery life isn't great; I used to leave my Gen III on all the time and it would lose very little charge but I'm having to switch the Pro II off between (daily) uses. I knew about this in advance and it doesn't take long to boot so it's not a deal-breaker but when it's sitting idle it shouldn't drain that much.

The clear case I posted about earlier has transformed using this thing, no more accidentally pressed buttons, no more fumbling in the dark, and it feels more comfortable in my hand. I'm sure they cost next to nothing to produce so Hiby really should include one as they do with the Gen III, I'd have preferred it to the leather case.

All that said, the Pro II is my end-game DAP and it gives me a great deal of listening pleasure. I would happily recommend it to anyone interested.

1. Can you provide links to the exact apps in question? I might be able to get headquarters to take a closer look at the problem.

Before that, my first guess would be that this is an issue caused by the Direct Transport Architecture modifications we made to the standard Android audio stack. Every now and then it causes "bugs" with scenarios requiring simultaneous sounds from multiple apps or apps requesting stream bypass (like games), etc. The overriding feature achieved by DTA is, of course, bitperfect audio from more android apps, less instances of Android system-based audio resampling.

2. I hope so too but in the meantime you may consider exporting your PEQ settings as an impulse response for use in the systemwide Convolver.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #1,115 of 2,044
Ohh, that doesn't sound so great to me. Brighter and focused on the upper mids and highs. I'm sensitive to that. After the last update, the treble on the M8 was damn good for me. But for me the upper mids are worse when they are too emphasized and tend to scream like iBasso DX 300 and especially the 320. Let's see if I can find a shop that has the Hiby R 6 Pro II and the Shannling M6 Ultra to demonstrate . I'd rather not order it blindly. Thank you for your comparison and your honest opinion.
If I were you I would take a closer look at the RS6 or the RS8 as they should have buttery smooth highs after you use the Darwin Ultra filter in the upcoming Darwin V2 update (already available for "sideloading" here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro...n-filters-v2-for-hiby-rs6-rs8-rs2-fc6.969083/

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 2, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #1,117 of 2,044
As a follow up this is the experiment I did:

HiBy R6 Pro II placed on a small ceramic plate but only 4 corners touching the plate ( most of the body was not in contact with anything)
Apple Music
Focal Elex headphones
Balanced out
High Gain
Class A
Volume 50
Run for 1 hour

After an hour I used an Etekcity Infrared Thermometer (Model LaserGrip1030D):
I checked the temperature of the countertop nearby - 68.5F (20.3C) (thermostat reports room temp is 68F (20C), so that checks out)
I measured the temperature of the front of the R6 Pro II in several locations, the highest temperature being 96.0F (35.6C).
I measured the back of the player in multiple locations and the highest temperature was 94.6F (34.8C).
I also measured the top, bottom, and sides and the temps were lower, but close to, the temps of the front and back

While approx 35C / 95F is not a cold temperature, the device was still quite comfortable to handle. I cannot get results that would say the HiBy gets hot or scalding, but that is not to say others are not experiencing this, just that I am not.

(BTW, my case temperature readings of approximately 35C could be completely consistent with higher internal component temperatures of around 63C).

Bonus fact: for my test case, I started out at 52% battery level. After precisely 1 hour I was at 36%. So, I could extrapolate that driving these particular headphones with Class A and high gain to reasonably loud levels, the battery would have lasted about 6.25 hours. Given that I only use IEMs with the HiBy and run Class AB at medium gain, I get more than 8 hours for my usual use case.
In my case, I would say it goes well beyond that. I can't hold it for more than 2 seconds without leaving red marks on my skin. So, it is extremely hot.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,118 of 2,044
In my case, I would say it goes well beyond that. I can't hold it for more than 2 seconds without leaving red marks on my skin. So, it is extremely hot.
Does not sound good. So I don't feel like having a new toaster in my pocket. I had that with the M8. It's always hot here. When I had the M8 in a thin pair of shorts in my pocket, it got so hot that it switched off automatically. In addition, you had to be afraid that you would burn sensitive parts. Does the Pro 6 II also switch off when it gets so hot?

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #1,119 of 2,044
I would reach out to HiBy if I were you!

But I also doubt that your experience is common. If it was, this board would have lit up with similar stories.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,121 of 2,044
Does not sound good. So I don't feel like having a new toaster in my pocket. I had that with the M8. It's always hot here. When I had the M8 in a thin pair of shorts in my pocket, it got so hot that it switched off automatically. In addition, you had to be afraid that you would burn sensitive parts. Does the Pro 6 II also switch off when it gets so hot?

Let me try to answer your concerns in 2 lines.

I use the Monarch Mk3 with Hiby R6P2 with the Dignis leather case for my workouts (1.5 hours or so) every day on High Gain/AB (just finished one while typing this).
The musical R6P2 + the dual DD Mk3 is just a match made in heaven, pumps me out and it’s barely even warm to the touch.

Of course now that it’s winter the ambient temperature is low as well. Nevertheless the R6P2 doesn’t get any warmer than any other class A/AB amp DAP out in the market right now, still not too warm. I feel people are either exaggerating or doing something to make it heat up more than usual.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,122 of 2,044
Let me try to answer your concerns in 2 lines.

I use the Monarch Mk3 with Hiby R6P2 with the Dignis leather case for my workouts (1.5 hours or so) every day on High Gain/AB (just finished one while typing this).
The musical R6P2 + the dual DD Mk3 is just a match made in heaven, pumps me out and it’s barely even warm to the touch.

Of course now that it’s winter the ambient temperature is low as well. Nevertheless the R6P2 doesn’t get any warmer than any other class A/AB amp DAP out in the market right now, still not too warm. I feel people are either exaggerating or doing something to make it heat up more than usual.
I share your experience and perspective. I have never had any discomfort with the device’s heat dissipation or temp. But it could well be that someone has a lemon… or maybe their cable or headphone have a short, or they are using an adapter to connect an SE cable to a balanced output jack and thus creating a short…

Anyway, for prospective buyers looking at this thread… don’t be dissuaded.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,123 of 2,044
I share your experience and perspective. I have never had any discomfort with the device’s heat dissipation or temp. But it could well be that someone has a lemon… or maybe their cable or headphone have a short, or they are using an adapter to connect an SE cable to a balanced output jack and thus creating a short…

Anyway, for prospective buyers looking at this thread… don’t be dissuaded.
One thing I can think of what the others are doing is somehow not fully turning the screen off.
Of course if the screen is on for longer time it is going to get hot, this happens even on my iPhone.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,125 of 2,044
One thing I can think of what the others are doing is somehow not fully turning the screen off.
Of course if the screen is on for longer time it is going to get hot, this happens even on my iPhone.
Yeah, in my test I just left the music playing with no interaction from me so the screen shuts off and device locks with music playing. I think that is by far the more common use model as opposed to screen on all the time… and if people are keeping their DAP screens on all the time… why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back