Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Oct 30, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,096 of 2,044
Anyone tried the r6 pro ii with Tripowin Olina IEM?

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,097 of 2,044
Hi.. Just want to ask question here... Loved the device overall..

I only have 1 concern.. Lately then I put the device on standby (with wifi on or off, Bluetooth off) the battery drain seems concerning... I always charged mine up to 90% (cause people said charging to 100% is bad) but after 3 days of not touching it... To my surprise when I turn the screen on, I only left with around 30-40% battery

Does it drains 20% of battery everyday even if I not using it?

Just wondering if other people have the same experience

I only install apple music, YouTube, wavelet and swiftkey

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #1,099 of 2,044
anybody have a link to the firmware? always getting update failed trying to go to 1.20_202xxxxx

never mind. there's a link to the firmware somewhere in this thread and i was able to update it using that.

seems like the OTA server of Hiby has issues. Download seems to be just a few seconds long... but on the link it was a 1 gig file. i was able to update the firmware manually using that 1 gig file.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,100 of 2,044
Hi.. Just want to ask question here... Loved the device overall..

I only have 1 concern.. Lately then I put the device on standby (with wifi on or off, Bluetooth off) the battery drain seems concerning... I always charged mine up to 90% (cause people said charging to 100% is bad) but after 3 days of not touching it... To my surprise when I turn the screen on, I only left with around 30-40% battery

Does it drains 20% of battery everyday even if I not using it?

Just wondering if other people have the same experience

I only install apple music, YouTube, wavelet and swiftkey

I always switch off my device if it’s not going to be used for some hours at least.
In the end it’s running on Android. The OS will drain the battery quite a bit no matter how efficient the device is.

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #1,101 of 2,044
I have felt the device get very warm… but hot enough to cause burns? Have you experienced this with multiple headphones?

A quick Google search indicates skin can start to burn at 118F / 48C… if your R6 Pro II is getting that hot then you either have a faulty unit, faulty headphone cable, or faulty headphone. Definitely stop using it and reach out to HiBy.
I've just checked the device temperature and it's around 63-64C. It was 70C at one point.

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_013930.jpg
    IMG_20231102_013930.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #1,102 of 2,044
I've just checked the device temperature and it's around 63-64C. It was 70C at one point.
OK, wow, that’s hot! Mine definitely never gets anything close to that…!

But, I am pretty sure those look to be reported internal component temperatures, not case temperature. Internal component temperatures getting that hot would make sense - the CPU in your laptop, for example, can get quite warm. But the external case temperature never gets there because the body of the device encasing the components acts as a heat sink. Think of an ice cube. It is very cold, but if you put it into a glass of water it melts because the heat is redistributed from the glass of liquid to the ice cube. Same principle.

Anyway, I actually have an “infrared thermometer” and you’ve inspired me…. I will put some over ear cans connected to the balanced jack play music on high gain class A for an hour and measure the case temp. I will report back what I find!

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #1,103 of 2,044
I try to answer what I can
Thanks for taking the time.
* Music not playing when other apps are started could be an issue of apps taking/needing exclusive access to the audio driver
It would seem like that but using the very same apps on my phone doesn't cut the volume so something's not right with Hiby OS.
* Wdym ? MSEB is a system wide EQ
Kind of EQ, not the real thing. I have had my hearing tested so I know how to approximately set up an EQ then tweak it, MSEB is no use for that.
* Short answer - Android. You have latency also while connected via USB, not just Bluetooth
Sure, but I'm talking about using Bluetooth with my Android phone compared my R6 Pro II, there is far more latency using the later than the former.
* Never crashed for me even once. I only use Apple Music, don’t have much else installed on the DAP. Definitely not Sudoku or Solitaire. Check what apps you have installed. One or more of the apps might be causing the crashes. May be try factory resetting and installing apps one by one, using them for a day or two and see which one causes a crash
They're all apps that I use on my phone regularly with no problems. It happens so rarely that all I can do is hope it doesn't get worse.
* Again mine doesn’t drain much when sitting idle. It could be the apps you have installed. Check background activity
I can't think of any that would do that but I'll check. Oh well, it is a new device, some problems are only to be expected, hopefully future updates will settle it down.

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #1,104 of 2,044
Probably one that @Joe Bloggs can answer but hopefully of interest to others as fussy as me: Regarding the gain control, am I right in assuming that High gain is straight-through while the others are attentuated versions of it? If that is the case, does High, at least potentially, give the best sound quality when listening at normal volume levels? Have any of you compared the gain levels for SQ? I'm sure it's almost imperceptible at best, but as part of tweaking the device and getting each section of the chain right, it all helps.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #1,105 of 2,044
OK, wow, that’s hot! Mine definitely never gets anything close to that…!

But, I am pretty sure those look to be reported internal component temperatures, not case temperature. Internal component temperatures getting that hot would make sense - the CPU in your laptop, for example, can get quite warm. But the external case temperature never gets there because the body of the device encasing the components acts as a heat sink. Think of an ice cube. It is very cold, but if you put it into a glass of water it melts because the heat is redistributed from the glass of liquid to the ice cube. Same principle.

Anyway, I actually have an “infrared thermometer” and you’ve inspired me…. I will put some over ear cans connected to the balanced jack play music on high gain class A for an hour and measure the case temp. I will report back what I find!

As a follow up this is the experiment I did:

HiBy R6 Pro II placed on a small ceramic plate but only 4 corners touching the plate ( most of the body was not in contact with anything)
Apple Music
Focal Elex headphones
Balanced out
High Gain
Class A
Volume 50
Run for 1 hour

After an hour I used an Etekcity Infrared Thermometer (Model LaserGrip1030D):
I checked the temperature of the countertop nearby - 68.5F (20.3C) (thermostat reports room temp is 68F (20C), so that checks out)
I measured the temperature of the front of the R6 Pro II in several locations, the highest temperature being 96.0F (35.6C).
I measured the back of the player in multiple locations and the highest temperature was 94.6F (34.8C).
I also measured the top, bottom, and sides and the temps were lower, but close to, the temps of the front and back

While approx 35C / 95F is not a cold temperature, the device was still quite comfortable to handle. I cannot get results that would say the HiBy gets hot or scalding, but that is not to say others are not experiencing this, just that I am not.

(BTW, my case temperature readings of approximately 35C could be completely consistent with higher internal component temperatures of around 63C).

Bonus fact: for my test case, I started out at 52% battery level. After precisely 1 hour I was at 36%. So, I could extrapolate that driving these particular headphones with Class A and high gain to reasonably loud levels, the battery would have lasted about 6.25 hours. Given that I only use IEMs with the HiBy and run Class AB at medium gain, I get more than 8 hours for my usual use case.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #1,106 of 2,044
Interersting, was that in or out of the leather case? Would you have time to do the same again in the other configuration?

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #1,107 of 2,044
Hello, I have a question for @ Stu Paddasso. How would you describe the sound quality compared to the M 8? Is it as much fun to listen to with the Hiby R 6 Pro II? I mean from the musicality? Thank you for an answer. I'm actually thinking about buying the Hiby too.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #1,108 of 2,044
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #1,110 of 2,044
Hello, I have a question for @ Stu Paddasso. How would you describe the sound quality compared to the M 8? Is it as much fun to listen to with the Hiby R 6 Pro II? I mean from the musicality? Thank you for an answer. I'm actually thinking about buying the Hiby too.
Both daps sound good but are quite different. M8 is full-bodied and warmer with deeper bass. R6P2 is brighter with more focus on the upper mids and treble. M8 has a wider and deeper sound stage and R6P2 has the advantage in height. M8 has slightly better detailing. M8 is noticeably more powerful although I've had no problem driving iems with R6P2. I'm using 64 Audio Treo with Tritian Audio Cardas Clear 2-wire cable in this comparison. I bought the R6P2 for portability but it's actually taller than M8 but not as thick and weighs a lot less. It also does not heat up like the M8. If I could only own 1 it would be a no-brainer I'd take the M8. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back