Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Oct 27, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #1,067 of 2,043
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #1,068 of 2,043

It should work with Amazon Music Atmos and 360 RA as well as 360 RA on Tidal, unless I'm confused (which is possible). But these are handled by the app, not the device. No head tracking, of course.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,069 of 2,043
It should work with Amazon Music Atmos and 360 RA as well as 360 RA on Tidal, unless I'm confused (which is possible). But these are handled by the app, not the device. No head tracking, of course.
I noticed these don’t work on Apple Music on the R6 Pro II, hence my question.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #1,070 of 2,043
Hi all, in the market for an upgrade from my A105 and have narrowed search down to zx707 (Japanese version) or R6 p2.. I mainly use either locally stored lossless files or Apple Music, downloaded locally. Genre wise mostly rock, punk and metal although will throw in a bit country acoustic occasionally. I value a neutral/warm sound but not overly coloured. Soundstage and separation are important.

I have two questions, in my usage case is the Hiby likely to drive me nuts with its battery life or is the sound quality and presentation worth the cost of battery life?

I’m used to the Sony house sound, is the Hiby much of a change?

Both are about the same price here (U.K.) so that’s not a consideration but I want whatever I choose to be my daily dap for several years to come.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,071 of 2,043
Hi all, in the market for an upgrade from my A105 and have narrowed search down to zx707 (Japanese version) or R6 p2.. I mainly use either locally stored lossless files or Apple Music, downloaded locally. Genre wise mostly rock, punk and metal although will throw in a bit country acoustic occasionally. I value a neutral/warm sound but not overly coloured. Soundstage and separation are important.

I have two questions, in my usage case is the Hiby likely to drive me nuts with its battery life or is the sound quality and presentation worth the cost of battery life?

Both are about the same price here (U.K.) so that’s not a consideration but I want whatever I choose to be my daily dap for several years to come.

The R6 Pro II is less warm than the typical Sony house sound, but still less sterile/digital sounding than a Fiio or A&K type DAP for example.

The R6 Pro II sounds very good for the price, I think it can compete with my Sony WM1A for cheaper, but if battery life is your main criteria, look elsewhere - it only gets about 5 hours on 4.4mm class A. If you are used to the long battery life of a Sony DAP (for example 20 - 30 hours on some of my Sony DAPs), then the R6 Pro II's battery is a far cry.

Additionally, based on your statement of "daily dap for several years to come", battery life is expected to go down with repeated charges. I'm not sure how the battery life of this DAP will hold up if you use it daily in a few month's time.

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #1,072 of 2,043
The R6 Pro II is less warm than the typical Sony house sound, but still less sterile/digital sounding than a Fiio or A&K type DAP for example.

The R6 Pro II sounds very good for the price, I think it can compete with my Sony WM1A for cheaper, but if battery life is your main criteria, look elsewhere - it only gets about 5 hours on 4.4mm class A. If you are used to the long battery life of a Sony DAP (for example 20 - 30 hours on some of my Sony DAPs), then the R6 Pro II's battery is a far cry.

Additionally, based on your statement of "daily dap for several years to come", battery life is expected to go down with repeated charges. I'm not sure how the battery life of this DAP will hold up if you use it daily in a few month's time.
Thanks! My a105 has pretty poor battery but still far better than 5 hours. I’m swayed towards a Japanese zx707, the battery life is a big factor. Is the class A amp much of a selling point? I’ve saw many comments comparing the two daps and general consensus is they’re both very capable, surely a step up from my entry point a105

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #1,073 of 2,043
Thanks! My a105 has pretty poor battery but still far better than 5 hours. I’m swayed towards a Japanese zx707, the battery life is a big factor. Is the class A amp much of a selling point? I’ve saw many comments comparing the two daps and general consensus is they’re both very capable, surely a step up from my entry point a105
Just to provide you a different perspective on the R6 Pro II...

I typically easily get at least 8 hours or more on a charge. I only listen to IEMs, run medium gain, class AB, volume around 35-40.

If you are going to run hard to drive over / on ear headphones then you probably will draw the battery down faster. It really is all about your use case.

As to A vs AB... honestly, with IEMs I literally cannot tell any difference. So, i leave it on AB. I am sure class A makes a difference with hard to drive cans.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,074 of 2,043

I have both - Zx707 and Hiby R6P2. Haven’t touched the Zx707 since I got the Hiby.
The sound quality of Hiby is miles ahead of the Zx707 and so totally worth it. The R6P2 is a very musical DAP much like the Sonys, with a slight warmth. I use Apple Music mostly.

Battery life - I had this concern too. After using it for some months now I can tell you it’s not a problem at all for me. I don’t listen to it 8 hours every day - have work, life, sleep and other things lol.

I would only upgrade the R6P2 if there is a new DAP tomorrow that gives me everything the R6P2 does but with the new ESS flagship ES9039Pro.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #1,075 of 2,043
I noticed these don’t work on Apple Music on the R6 Pro II, hence my question.

Yes both Apple Music and Tidal require the device to have built-in Atmos support, which no DAPs have. I guess Amazon Music decided to pay the royalty for the app itself. 360 RA seems to work on any device using the Amazon or Tidal app.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,076 of 2,043
I have both - Zx707 and Hiby R6P2. Haven’t touched the Zx707 since I got the Hiby.
The sound quality of Hiby is miles ahead of the Zx707 and so totally worth it. The R6P2 is a very musical DAP much like the Sonys, with a slight warmth. I use Apple Music mostly.

Battery life - I had this concern too. After using it for some months now I can tell you it’s not a problem at all for me. I don’t listen to it 8 hours every day - have work, life, sleep and other things lol.

I would only upgrade the R6P2 if there is a new DAP tomorrow that gives me everything the R6P2 does but with the new ESS flagship ES9039Pro.
thanks for this, may, its a tough decision. I'm wondering if I should try the Hiby just to give me a new sound signature to explore. Your quoted 8 hours sounds impressive, is that streaming or local files? Do you use class A or AB? I'll be driving IEM's (Olinas, 32ohm) so not a difficult drive.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,077 of 2,043

I would recommend evaluating the upcoming FiiO M23 as well. One thing to consider is that most Chi-Fi DAPs become obsolete and unsupported after a year or two, so the 5 year plan might be a stretch.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #1,079 of 2,043
I can very definitely hear the sound difference between A and AB so screw the extra 1/2 hour to hour battery life I want the better sound and use A. YMMV :beerchug:
What headphone / IEM are you using where you detect a difference between A and AB? I’m not disputing you hear a difference. Since I cannot, I might want to try if I have similar headphones / IEMs to reproduce the same results.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #1,080 of 2,043
The difference isn't dramatic but it's there, bass feels more solid, deep and powerful and to me it feels slightly warmer. I occasionally use A for serious listening sessions but don't bother otherwise.
(Edit: by 'warmer' I'm referring to the sound, the device definitely gets hotter!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back