Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Oct 29, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,081 of 2,044
What headphone / IEM are you using where you detect a difference between A and AB? I’m not disputing you hear a difference. Since I cannot I might want to try if I cave similar headphones / IEMs to reproduce the same results.
It's been a while. Off the top of my head, it was EE Legend, 64 Audio Treo & Jomo Trinity Brass. :rolling_eyes::thumbsup:

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #1,082 of 2,044
thanks for this, may, its a tough decision. I'm wondering if I should try the Hiby just to give me a new sound signature to explore. Your quoted 8 hours sounds impressive, is that streaming or local files? Do you use class A or AB? I'll be driving IEM's (Olinas, 32ohm) so not a difficult drive.
Streaming with AB.

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,083 of 2,044
The device becomes very hot after a while, sometimes even on A/B mode. And I mean extremely hot, to the point where it could cause burns, almost like it's going to explode or melt. It's kinda risky drifting to sleep with them lol

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #1,084 of 2,044
The difference isn't dramatic but it's there, bass feels more solid, deep and powerful and to me it feels slightly warmer. I occasionally use A for serious listening sessions but don't bother otherwise.
(Edit: by 'warmer' I'm referring to the sound, the device definitely gets hotter!)
The device becomes very hot after a while, sometimes even on A/B mode. And I mean extremely hot, to the point where it could cause burns, almost like it's going to explode or melt. It's kinda risky drifting to sleep with them lol
I have felt the device get very warm… but hot enough to cause burns? Have you experienced this with multiple headphones?

A quick Google search indicates skin can start to burn at 118F / 48C… if your R6 Pro II is getting that hot then you either have a faulty unit, faulty headphone cable, or faulty headphone. Definitely stop using it and reach out to HiBy.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #1,085 of 2,044
In my experience, after running it in A mode for a while it gets hot enough for it to be uncomfortable to hold, in or out of its case.

The exceptional sound quality makes up for most of its shortcomings but this and the placement of the buttons are serious design flaws.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,086 of 2,044
Anyone have any idea what’s causing it to run so hot? Like is it the amplification circuit, CPU, poor thermal management or something else? Anyone seen a tear down?

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,087 of 2,044
I read that class A is like leaving the water tap fully open all the time compared to class AB opening and closing it as required. Therefore class A is using maximum current and generating maximum heat but also giving maximum performance.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #1,088 of 2,044
I've noticed this - it heats up quite quickly when the screen is off for a long period (like sleeping with them playing, and waking up in pain after accidentally touching it in your sleep). However, during a 5-hour flight, using Hiby non-stop and occasionally turning the screen on to change songs, it didn't get as hot.

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #1,089 of 2,044
I use mine in class A, with Empire Ears ESR, and it’s get warm, but certainly not enough to burn. Volume is usually around 30-32ish, depending on the music.

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,091 of 2,044
There are quite a few R6 Pro II users on here, and while most would say the player can run warm, it seems that only a small group actually experience the temp to rise to uncomfortable levels.

If your R6 Pro II rises to uncomfortable temps, reach out to HiBy.

For those thinking about buying an R6 Pro II, I suggest that you don’t let a small number of outlier cases dissuade you from purchasing a pretty amazing DAP.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,092 of 2,044
Temperatures can go up quite high when using a device with Class A amplification, more so the smaller the device gets. This is normal.
As far as I have seen, it does not affect the performance of the device in any way.

I myself only use the device in AB. This gives the best balance in sound quality, battery and heat for most IEMs and headphones.

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #1,093 of 2,044
Just discovered thaty 3.5 line out is defective. No sound on the right channel. Found this out since I was trying out an amp. 😪

Is there any possibility that this can be a software issue? Could it be possibly fixed with a reboot to factory?

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,094 of 2,044
I chose "uncomfortable" to mean that I can hold it when using it in class A mode at medium volume with the screen on, but not for very long and never hot enough to burn me. It's fine in AB mode so no problem as I expect class A to run hotter.

Having had the Pro II for a couple of weeks now, the button placement is the biggest annoyance for me but there's nothing to be done about that. Otherwise I really like the device and particularly its sound, the only problems I've come across are:

* When I start my Solitaire or Sudoku apps while music is playing, the music stops and I've yet to find an easy way of restarting it (pressing play doesn't, although after a while it sometimes does). This is so when using Hiby Music, UAPP and Amazon Music but doesn't happen on my phones so it is a bug as it was the same with the Gen III I had previously.

* I wish the EQ/PEQ sections could be moved to system-wide. I currently have 4 different EQs to adjust when one would make much more sense. I sincerely hope this can be achieved, especially as UAPP (correctly) reduces the volume after EQ while Hiby Music and Amazon Music don't so I am surprised by higher than expected volume when I switch.

* There is a lot of lag with Bluetooth. If I try to use the Pro II to play videos on my PC wirelessly through it I have experienced up to 12 seconds delay. Devices like the Qudelix 5K manage it with very little lag so it must be possible. Is there a reason why DAPs struggle with this?

* I have had a few crashes with this and the Gen III - I left the Gen III powered on and charging and came back to it to find it completely dead (support told me about pressing Power and Next together for a few seconds and that brought it back to life); a similar thing happened with the Pro II when I left it powered off and charging once; and it completely hung while I was using it once, but it is a new device so I allow for a few bugs.

* Battery life isn't great; I used to leave my Gen III on all the time and it would lose very little charge but I'm having to switch the Pro II off between (daily) uses. I knew about this in advance and it doesn't take long to boot so it's not a deal-breaker but when it's sitting idle it shouldn't drain that much.

The clear case I posted about earlier has transformed using this thing, no more accidentally pressed buttons, no more fumbling in the dark, and it feels more comfortable in my hand. I'm sure they cost next to nothing to produce so Hiby really should include one as they do with the Gen III, I'd have preferred it to the leather case.

All that said, the Pro II is my end-game DAP and it gives me a great deal of listening pleasure. I would happily recommend it to anyone interested.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #1,095 of 2,044
I chose "uncomfortable" to mean that I can hold it when using it in class A mode at medium volume with the screen on, but not for very long and never hot enough to burn me. It's fine in AB mode so no problem as I expect class A to run hotter.

Having had the Pro II for a couple of weeks now, the button placement is the biggest annoyance for me but there's nothing to be done about that. Otherwise I really like the device and particularly its sound, the only problems I've come across are:

* When I start my Solitaire or Sudoku apps while music is playing, the music stops and I've yet to find an easy way of restarting it (pressing play doesn't, although after a while it sometimes does). This is so when using Hiby Music, UAPP and Amazon Music but doesn't happen on my phones so it is a bug as it was the same with the Gen III I had previously.

* I wish the EQ/PEQ sections could be moved to system-wide. I currently have 4 different EQs to adjust when one would make much more sense. I sincerely hope this can be achieved, especially as UAPP (correctly) reduces the volume after EQ while Hiby Music and Amazon Music don't so I am surprised by higher than expected volume when I switch.

* There is a lot of lag with Bluetooth. If I try to use the Pro II to play videos on my PC wirelessly through it I have experienced up to 12 seconds delay. Devices like the Qudelix 5K manage it with very little lag so it must be possible. Is there a reason why DAPs struggle with this?

* I have had a few crashes with this and the Gen III - I left the Gen III powered on and charging and came back to it to find it completely dead (support told me about pressing Power and Next together for a few seconds and that brought it back to life); a similar thing happened with the Pro II when I left it powered off and charging once; and it completely hung while I was using it once, but it is a new device so I allow for a few bugs.

* Battery life isn't great; I used to leave my Gen III on all the time and it would lose very little charge but I'm having to switch the Pro II off between (daily) uses. I knew about this in advance and it doesn't take long to boot so it's not a deal-breaker but when it's sitting idle it shouldn't drain that much.

The clear case I posted about earlier has transformed using this thing, no more accidentally pressed buttons, no more fumbling in the dark, and it feels more comfortable in my hand. I'm sure they cost next to nothing to produce so Hiby really should include one as they do with the Gen III, I'd have preferred it to the leather case.

All that said, the Pro II is my end-game DAP and it gives me a great deal of listening pleasure. I would happily recommend it to anyone interested.

I try to answer what I can

* Music not playing when other apps are started could be an issue of apps taking/needing exclusive access to the audio driver
* Wdym ? MSEB is a system wide EQ
* Short answer - Android. You have latency also while connected via USB, not just Bluetooth
* Never crashed for me even once. I only use Apple Music, don’t have much else installed on the DAP. Definitely not Sudoku or Solitaire. Check what apps you have installed. One or more of the apps might be causing the crashes. May be try factory resetting and installing apps one by one, using them for a day or two and see which one causes a crash
* Again mine doesn’t drain much when sitting idle. It could be the apps you have installed. Check background activity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back