Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Aug 20, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #841 of 2,044
Aug 21, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #842 of 2,044
If you haven't tried QKZ x HBB IEM with R6 Pro II, just give it a try. That will cost you around 22$, but man they sound so juicy, warm and surprisingly detailed, with a huge stage for an IEM pair. I'm wondering how do they cost this cheap. They sound even better than Meze 109 pro!, you wouldn't believe.

I have so many headphhones and IEMs, from 15$ to 800$, this combination is by far one of the most satisfying I've tried so far. Specially, if you like warm bassy musical tuning.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #843 of 2,044
just got my R6 Pro II yesterday. Really happy with it so far except that the case, like others said, is problematic.

Is there anyway to disable the play next previous track buttons completely? Once these are disables accidental presses should no longer be a worry. I usually change tracks using the screen anyway (used to phones LOL).

Completely I believe not. But you could disable it just for the lockscreen, which is what I did.

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #844 of 2,044
Do you guys also experience delay on watching a youtube video, for example on the DAC/USB mode ?

Will this be fixed in a later firmware or not ?

Aug 24, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #845 of 2,044
Speaking of Dignis cases, there is one !
https://dignis.cafe24.com/shop2/product/aster-hiby-r6-pro-ii-case/353/?cate_no=85&display_group=1

Looks gorgeous and it might solve the design issue with the buttons on the original case.

1691778895212.png
The Dignis case finally arrived.
It is beautiful and feels premium. The leather is medium hard, not soft or hard.
The SD card slot is open so you don't have to remove the case to change cards.

What I loved most is that it is pure black unlike the stock case and it also has the wave pattern on the back, like the device and a Dignis logo on a brown leather triangle.
It comes with 2 pieces of matte film to cover the bottom ports.
Fits snug. Instructions on how to put the case on was unclear. Finally I figured out that the side flap comes out and you have to slide it in from the side (not top or bottom like other DAPs)

Now coming to the buttons - It's not so easy to press the buttons by accident like on the stock case so that's a plus. It is slightly easier to find the buttons now due to the etching on the buttons but it's not as good as on the Sony DAP cases, it's only slightly etched and all buttons are etched so you still have to memorize the button positions.

Overall, I really like it.

Aug 24, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #846 of 2,044
The Dignis case finally arrived.
It is beautiful and feels premium. The leather is medium hard, not soft or hard.
The SD card slot is open so you don't have to remove the case to change cards.

What I loved most is that it is pure black unlike the stock case and it also has the wave pattern on the back, like the device and a Dignis logo on a brown leather triangle.
It comes with 2 pieces of matte film to cover the bottom ports.
Fits snug. Instructions on how to put the case on was unclear. Finally I figured out that the side flap comes out and you have to slide it in from the side (not top or bottom like other DAPs)

Now coming to the buttons - It's not so easy to press the buttons by accident like on the stock case so that's a plus. It is slightly easier to find the buttons now due to the etching on the buttons but it's not as good as on the Sony DAP cases, it's only slightly etched and all buttons are etched so you still have to memorize the button positions.

Overall, I really like it.
Any pictures ? It would be great to see it

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #847 of 2,044
Any pictures ? It would be great to see it

Here you go.
Also more here - http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/product/aster-hiby-r6-pro-ii-case/353/?cate_no=85&display_group=1

IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0135.jpeg
IMG_0136.jpeg

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #848 of 2,044
Very nice looking

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #849 of 2,044
Hi - am a complete newbie to the world of DAPs. Am looking to get my first DAP and am seriously considering this - couple of questions if I may:

Are there any contenders I should look at at its price range? And also, I currently own a Cayin RU7 - why would I get a DAP over a dongle? Would it make sense for me to have both? Or just one or the other?

Been doing my own research and I think I have my own ideas but I'd also appreciate some input from the veterans because you guys clearly know more than I do. Thanks everyone!

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #850 of 2,044
I’ve had my R6 Gen 3 for almost two months now, and whilst I love it, I’ve finally caved and getting the Pro 2. Hopefully it’ll be a solid and worthy step up.

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #852 of 2,044
Hi - am a complete newbie to the world of DAPs. Am looking to get my first DAP and am seriously considering this - couple of questions if I may:

Are there any contenders I should look at at its price range? And also, I currently own a Cayin RU7 - why would I get a DAP over a dongle? Would it make sense for me to have both? Or just one or the other?

Been doing my own research and I think I have my own ideas but I'd also appreciate some input from the veterans because you guys clearly know more than I do. Thanks everyone!
To preface: I'm also looking at the r6 pro 2 as well.

I'd get a DAP if you're looking for a portable solution that caters to the best quality sound reproduction possible, while balancing the features you need/don't need, and quirks of each product. Dongles are limited by their input (USB-C/lightning port), which means they aren't able to get as much power as a DAP. Does your dongle drive Storm? I doubt so... The R6 pro 2 does (and makes it sound great)! Not that i'm getting Storm, but that's besides the point.

I really like the idea of getting a external device to listen to music. R6 pro 2 punches above its price point with what it provides. The only issue for me is the short(er) than average battery life.

Do take a look at other DAPs that are in a similar price range, such as the Shanling M7, Ibasso DX240/300, etc. Choosing DAPs isn't as easy as it seems, gotta see what you want/not want + which featues you want to pay for.

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #853 of 2,044

I've owned a few portable DAC/Amps, DAPs and Dongle DACs, let me share why I personally like DAPs over other types of audio sources, may be it will help in your decision.

1. Bit-Perfect audio with music streaming Apps. I personally use Apple Music (cause it's dirt cheap lossless) but, it does not have an exclusive mode. All music, including Hi-Res files will be downsampled to 48kHz on my Android phone even when connected to a DAC/Amp (unless using Apps like UAPP which does not support all streaming services including Apple Music) which is not an ideal option for me. With SRC bypass on DAPs, this is not an issue and any App can Output Bit-Perfect Audio. At home, I can use SMB protocol to stream my local lossless music stored on my Computer or a NAS Drive on the DAP via a File Explorer without having to worry about sample rate conversion degrading the sound.
2. A DAP is much more comfortable to use on the go or even when stationary. I really do not like the way a dongle DAC hangs awkwardly connected to my phone. Pairing portable DAC/Amps like Gryphon, Mojo 2 also did not suit me as they added too much bulk and the extra USB Cables were annoying. Bluetooth DAC/Amps like BTR7, XB10 are better but you sacrifice sound quality when using a Bluetooth connection.
3. Dongle DACs like RU6, W1... were draining my phones battery a lot quicker and on some rare devices like Sparrow, Mojo... there were some issues with noise due to EMI/RFI. I never had these issues with a DAP.
4. You get many Outputs with a DAP. Have an external Amp or Powered Speakers? DAPs got a Line-Out you can use. Want a clean source (compared to phones) to pair your DAC/Amp? DAP can be used as a source to Output digital signal via USB or Coaxial. Need a Bluetooth DAC or want to connect your wireless Headphone or TWS? a DAP can transmit and receive Bluetooth signals (with a tiny delay). Need a DAC/Amp for Pc/Laptop use? a DAP can be used as one.
5. On device controls to Play/Pause, Next/Previous Track.
6. DAPs generally have more powerful Amps compared to dongle DACs and so should drive Headphones better.

For me, all I need is a good DAP and I'm set for portable use but, I can see the benefit in wanting to keep a Dongle DAC as a backup device or to have better synergy with a particular IEM.

As for other alternative, R6 Gen III might be better if you are new to the hobby and not just to DAPs, it may not sound as good as R6 Pro II but it is good enough and has good overall performance. The R6 Pro II seems like the best option in it's price bracket at the moment unless you want to move up a few levels in price and look at M15S or N7.

Aug 26, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #854 of 2,044
Having upgraded from Qudelix to Gryphon to Hiby R6 III, I agree entirely. The usb cable was the main issue for me, it was so clumsy having to have the phone, dongle and IEMs all wired together, a DAP is closer to just using a phone but with much better sound quality.

I'd also add that running Android, Hiby DAPs can run most apps that you run on your phone which makes it all the more useful. If you can stretch to the Pro II I'm sure you won't regret it, but the III is almost as good for 2/3 the price.

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #855 of 2,044
As everyone has said, it's a preference and use-case decision between DAP's and dongles. Follows the same tech dynamic of "desktop vs portable vs ultra-portable" - usually the step down from desktop to portable is the biggest and then a smaller drop from portable to ultra-portable in tech in general. E.g. Gaming Desktop (RTX 4000) -> Switch -> Smartphone (excluding gaming exclusives, just device performance). Mostly comes down to space, desktop systems have space for days, portable systems have to sacrifice performance for practicality and then ultra-portable solutions strip things to bare necessities so you lose a lot of nice-to-haves.

The attached image shows how much space is nice to have on the R6P2, as the dongle doesn't need a battery or on-board storage. On the DAC part, the Hiby has effectively 3 chipsets with the Dual AK449EX + EQ, which you wouldn't get easily on a dongle to physically fit. The RU7 is an R2R dongle though, so not an apples to apples comparision. You would be losing out on the supporting digital pathway though from cut on the I/V and LPF.

Also DAP's have more space for amplification, so the amplification doesn't have to overwork itself, with dongles at the higher output it's pushing itself to 120% performance to squeeze what it can so you might get some noise, distortion or change in sound signature at the top range.

Numbers aren't everything - how much you can notice/ hear is up in the air, but they can sometimes act as a reference - looking at balanced connection, these are what I can find on google - do correct me if I got anything wrong:

DeviceCayin RU7 (Dongle)Hiby R6P2 (DAP)
Distortion (Better Lower, less distortion)0.006%0.0015% (Class AB)
0.0009% (Class A)
Signal to Noise Ratio (Better Higher, the less noise present in signal)115dB 119db
Dynamic Range (Better Higher, the more Dynamic Range)115dB119dB
Crosstalk Rejection/ Channel Seperation (Better Higher)92dB98dB

On top of this, you have the "nice-to-haves" going for the DAP - independent (doesn't drain phone battery), onboard storage, more outputs and more supported formats, the Hiby supports/ can read up to DSD1024 and PCM 32BIT/1536kHz, whereas the RU7 is limited to DSD 256 and PCM 32BIT/384kHz.

Attachments

• NO BATTERY REQUIRED.png
    NO BATTERY REQUIRED.png
    423.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back