HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Dec 4, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #199 of 6,622
Hmmm
Was going to buy the Hidizs AP200 then saw this. Any thoughts? The AP200 looks like it’s about half of the projected R6 price. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

For me, the AP200 has too high an output impedance (NOTE: I've since learned that the OI on this is actually higher than on the AP200), and runs an older version of Android than this one - a big drawback. The R6 is also running a Snapdragon 425 SoC vs the RK3188 in the AP200.

The Rockchip SoC will cost less, but will be a slower chip. That rockchip is a quad A9 core processor. and it's actually a pretty odd choice for a DAP given that it's designed for tablet use (big batteries) or Smart TV dongles (plugged in to the wall), and wasn't even marketed for use in smaller mobile devices. It's possible it's actually the RK3188T, which is underclocked, has a bit slower GPU, and is therefore lighter on battery use.

The Snapdragon is, I think, a 20nm quad core, and quite a bit faster. Still, we're not talking world-beating performance here, it's going to be a 2 year old entry level Snapdragon. But a 2 year old entry Snapdragon is going to outperform that 4.5 year old "High-end" Rockchip. High end as per their marketing, of course, but pretty decent performance in its day.

You're not going to find a Snapdragon 845 and Android Oreo in a DAP. Your only shot at something even close that would be if Sony had to dump extra chips they bought for their phones and decide to make a ZX3, and that's not happening. I think a 425 and Android 6 is pretty good for a first run at an Android DAP. I was considering the AP200 as well, but I've opted to skip that and will probably go for one of these.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #200 of 6,622
That's great.

I wonder if you would be able to comment on the capability of it playing from a NAS or a Media Server running off of a PC. Is the software and the wifi robust enough to let that happen without glitches?

I believe it's fine but will let the reviews and user impressions be the judge of that in the future.

Just need it to play Tidal without all the stuttering every few seconds.

That I believe I can assure will not happen. :)

One more thing.

Is it going to handle sacd ISO files? Hiby player does, if I remember correctly.

Yes, HiBy Music does, and HiBy Music is the player preloaded on the R6. You can of course also download any other player you like, which may or may not support SACD ISOs per the player's own features.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #201 of 6,622
Well, I just received word from Hiby, and...ouch. 10Ω output impedance(!)

I was not expecting that. I know from experience that will not behave well with my UM Merlins. I really wanted this guy, but that's just not a good spec for a portable. That's what the HiFiMan HM-602 had, and they didn't play well together at all (unsurprisingly, that's a multi-BA iem with 12Ω impedance). If you're looking to drive something like that, you might want to look elsewhere. If you have relatively high impedance cans, this will probably still be OK for you.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #203 of 6,622

I was not expecting that. I know from experience that will not behave well with my UM Merlins. I really wanted this guy, but that's just not a good spec for a portable. That's what the HiFiMan HM-602 had, and they didn't play well together at all (unsurprisingly, that's a multi-BA iem with 12Ω impedance). If you're looking to drive something like that, you might want to look elsewhere. If you have relatively high impedance cans, this will probably still be OK for you.

I'm not understanding why it would be so high for a portable player.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #204 of 6,622

Wow, Hope that's some kind of measurement or procedure error. I remember some manufacturer reporting a similar high value, but later reported a lower one when that measures output impedance with a standard 32Ohm Load.

Anyway, hope that HiBy or @Joe Bloggs can reconfirm the output impedance. Like others have said that High an Output impedance does not match all the other great specs. !

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #205 of 6,622
Wow, Hope that's some kind of measurement or procedure error. I remember some manufacturer reporting a similar high value, but later reported a lower one when that measures output impedance with a standard 32Ohm Load.

Anyway, hope that HiBy or @Joe Bloggs can reconfirm the output impedance. Like others have said that High an Output impedance does not match all the other great specs. !

It was also a pretty big surprise to me. It seemed so well put together, I just assumed it would have low OI. I was also told that I was free to break it to the community, and I am pretty sure it's true. I also asked if there was a resistor on the output that could be bypassed as on the AK100, and have not received a response yet.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #206 of 6,622

That was Shanling, they were using a procedure more typical for full size home gear, which was their primary expertise at the time, but I don't think even before they made the correction that any of their DAP's were this high. And being that HiBy is strictly a mobile platform, I would think they would be using the typical mobile procedure for measuring the OI. There may be a way to fix this, unless its an engineering choice to design it this way. IMO, that really is just too high to be suitable for virtually any portable gear, except maybe RHA's CL series.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #208 of 6,622
10 ohms?! My Andromeda says "hell no".

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #209 of 6,622
For me, the AP200 has too high an output impedance (NOTE: I've since learned that the OI on this is actually higher than on the AP200), and runs an older version of Android than this one - a big drawback. The R6 is also running a Snapdragon 425 SoC vs the RK3188 in the AP200.

The Rockchip SoC will cost less, but will be a slower chip. That rockchip is a quad A9 core processor. and it's actually a pretty odd choice for a DAP given that it's designed for tablet use (big batteries) or Smart TV dongles (plugged in to the wall), and wasn't even marketed for use in smaller mobile devices. It's possible it's actually the RK3188T, which is underclocked, has a bit slower GPU, and is therefore lighter on battery use.

The Snapdragon is, I think, a 20nm quad core, and quite a bit faster. Still, we're not talking world-beating performance here, it's going to be a 2 year old entry level Snapdragon. But a 2 year old entry Snapdragon is going to outperform that 4.5 year old "High-end" Rockchip. High end as per their marketing, of course, but pretty decent performance in its day.

You're not going to find a Snapdragon 845 and Android Oreo in a DAP. Your only shot at something even close that would be if Sony had to dump extra chips they bought for their phones and decide to make a ZX3, and that's not happening. I think a 425 and Android 6 is pretty good for a first run at an Android DAP. I was considering the AP200 as well, but I've opted to skip that and will probably go for one of these.

Thanks Reggie...solid info!

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #210 of 6,622
I am perplexed by the high impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back