HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Nov 28, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #6,271 of 6,628
Jesus Christ that's some messy process for updating to Android 8! I'm nervous to try it
I left well enough alone as mine was working fine (aside from well known crap wifi issue which this probably wouldn't sort). Firmware updates always make me nervous.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #6,273 of 6,628
Hi there. I have r6 android 8.1, and after update to last firmware i have problem with spdif output. I connect r6 to my repro via spdif and no hear any sound. Only from r6 hear 2x "click" and is all. With previous firmware work spdif with no problems. Thanks for help.

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #6,274 of 6,628
Hi there. I have r6 android 8.1, and after update to last firmware i have problem with spdif output. I connect r6 to my repro via spdif and no hear any sound. Only from r6 hear 2x "click" and is all. With previous firmware work spdif with no problems. Thanks for help.
I'm sorry to hear that, we are looking into it.

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #6,275 of 6,628
I know this might be a dying/dead thread but I’m loving mine as a new to me, used purchase. There are so many pages in this thread it’s taking a long time to read. Is there a guide to choosing iems that don’t have issues or better, a list of some that shine?
I see no problems with those I’ve tried but, going forward, I’m going to want to buy more iems and would retainer have an educated system on what to look for. From my understanding so far: dynamics are safer options and 16 ohm impedance as a minimum. Other comments suggest avoiding sensitive iems. I was looking to buy some moondrop kxxz. Any thoughts from anyone who’s still looking in? TIA!

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #6,276 of 6,628
Technical help request. :)

When using the HiBy music player from SD card. how do I just listen to one album without it then starting another?

I like to fall asleep with music but keep waking with very low battery because it just keeps playing other albums.

I have ‘play through folders’ turn off and sequential play on when selecting an album. Still seems to happen. Any ideas?

cheers.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #6,277 of 6,628
Technical help request. :)

When using the HiBy music player from SD card. how do I just listen to one album without it then starting another?

I like to fall asleep with music but keep waking with very low battery because it just keeps playing other albums.

I have ‘play through folders’ turn off and sequential play on when selecting an album. Still seems to happen. Any ideas?

cheers.
You would have to play in actual Folder view, because the devs in their infinite wisdom included a toggle for "play through folders" but not one for "play through albums" :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #6,278 of 6,628
I know this might be a dying/dead thread but I’m loving mine as a new to me, used purchase. There are so many pages in this thread it’s taking a long time to read. Is there a guide to choosing iems that don’t have issues or better, a list of some that shine?
I see no problems with those I’ve tried but, going forward, I’m going to want to buy more iems and would retainer have an educated system on what to look for. From my understanding so far: dynamics are safer options and 16 ohm impedance as a minimum. Other comments suggest avoiding sensitive iems. I was looking to buy some moondrop kxxz. Any thoughts from anyone who’s still looking in? TIA!
There's no hard and fast rules unfortunately... The impedance is just like applying a bit of EQ to the sound, depending on the impedance response curve of the earphones, which is effectively a random EQ unless you happen to know the curve for your earphones. Whether that would be to your taste then depends on both the earphones' original frequency response and your own listening tastes.

For example I know both the original response curve and modified response curve of the Campfire Andromeda, and I know I like them better on the r6 because of the more sparkly highs, but still don't know if they'd be a good match for you because you may find the highs too much.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #6,279 of 6,628
You would have to play in actual Folder view, because the devs in their infinite wisdom included a toggle for "play through folders" but not one for "play through albums" :frowning2:

Thank You @Joe Bloggs - that’s an easy fix for me. Really appreciate the response to that and the question regarding high IO. As I said. I have no issues so far (but then I don’t listen on $1000 multi ba iems. I’m using with KZ, ibasso etc. All’s well here. Love the dap. Thank you.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #6,280 of 6,628
Ok noob question but what is the best way to connect my r6 to my teac 300 I have just picked up... Seems a shame not to have all my music on it not playing on the teac while at home at my desk..... Edit:
I have just used a jack to phono
78132800_10162776938210046_439595997304193024_o.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #6,281 of 6,628
Meant to post this here but absent mindedly put it in the R6 Pro thread instead - I'm looking for the firmware changelogs mainly;

I'm about to get a preowned R6 aluminum... so I'd like to confirm a few things;
1. Can I have that guide on how to update the OS to 8.1 if it's still on 6.0?
2. Where can I see the firmware changelogs?
3. Has firmware improved Bluetooth stability or upgraded it to 4.2? I tested a R6 steel and it worked with the car stereo, but it wasn't quite as stable as my ZX1.
4. Does the latest R6 firmware have Global MSEB and EFO Spatializer? Is EFO Spatializer available systemwide?
5. Global MSEB does not work over Bluetooth?
6. Any way to get a dark system theme (dark colored Android menus)? If not this is a thing I'd like to see in future firmware updates.

I'm still a bit skeptical about the impedance issue as I did notice a tonal shift with my IEMs (but surprisingly in a way I like) over the long term, but I'm on a tight budget and I found the R5 to be just a titch too small while the iBasso DX160 just didn't feel right.
Another thing I noted about the R6 demo unit is that it seems to have really terrible file system glitch or other things. Copying things from the inserted MicroSD to the internal memory took forever, and more than once the player hung or glitched out with the memory card and needed to be restarted. Has this been fixed with newer firmware editions? Library scans with Poweramp also took onerously long!

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #6,282 of 6,628
Meant to post this here but absent mindedly put it in the R6 Pro thread instead - I'm looking for the firmware changelogs mainly;

3. Has firmware improved Bluetooth stability or upgraded it to 4.2? I tested a R6 steel and it worked with the car stereo, but it wasn't quite as stable as my ZX1.
4. Does the latest R6 firmware have Global MSEB and EFO Spatializer? Is EFO Spatializer available systemwide?
6. Any way to get a dark system theme (dark colored Android menus)? If not this is a thing I'd like to see in future firmware updates.

I'm still a bit skeptical about the impedance issue as I did notice a tonal shift with my IEMs (but surprisingly in a way I like) over the long term, but I'm on a tight budget and I found the R5 to be just a titch too small while the iBasso DX160 just didn't feel right.
Another thing I noted about the R6 demo unit is that it seems to have really terrible file system glitch or other things. Copying things from the inserted MicroSD to the internal memory took forever, and more than once the player hung or glitched out with the memory card and needed to be restarted. Has this been fixed with newer firmware editions? Library scans with Poweramp also took onerously long!

That depends on whether your 2nd hand r6 is on Android 6 or 8. If on 6, you will unfortunately need to follow the instructions here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...unded-indiegogo.852042/page-349#post-14703786

to update it to 8 before you will receive all the OTA updates (there are quite a few) that lead to the current ROM version with the global MSEB. :sweat_smile:

We'd all be SOL if it weren't for @Joe Bloggs

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #6,283 of 6,628

1. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...unded-indiegogo.852042/page-349#post-14703786
4. Yes on Android 8. EFO Spatializer is unfortunately not available systemwide on anything yet.
5. Unfortunately not
6. I'm not too familiar with the system theme options... but I would think an alternative launcher would provide all the customization you need?

I hope to answer your other questions later :sweat_smile:

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #6,284 of 6,628
We'd all be SOL if it weren't for @Joe Bloggs
Aye, his consistent presence here is one of the reasons I chose to go for a HiBy!

1. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...unded-indiegogo.852042/page-349#post-14703786
4. Yes on Android 8. EFO Spatializer is unfortunately not available systemwide on anything yet.
5. Unfortunately not
6. I'm not too familiar with the system theme options... but I would think an alternative launcher would provide all the customization you need?

I hope to answer your other questions later :sweat_smile:
Thanks for the clarification. Just gonna wait on the news on where to find those changelogs. ...Admittedly it's not important, I guess, but I really would like to see what's changed/added/fixed over the life of the player so far.

For the EFO Spatializer and other plug ins for systemwide use, any likelihood of that being added later?

Regarding system theme options, Android has a predominantly white menu, but there are dark menu options in some other ROMs out there. I think it's finally acessible in Android 10, but the R6 is on 8.1, so... probably not.
I've a strong general preference for dark colored menus, it just hurts my eyes less.
android-q-wishes-dark-mode.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back