HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #5,716 of 6,622
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #5,717 of 6,622
My R6 is on firmware 1.41G. It is occasionally freeze when running music (spotify, stock music app). I have to hold the power button to reboot again.
This is not happen before (when on firmware 1.21, or the Android 8.1 Oreo firmware).

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #5,718 of 6,622
This is for Joe Bloggs.

Joe, my R6 is running on the latest software, oreo 8.1 and 1.12. Today I was creating a new playlist. When I went to name it, my R6 would not accept any special characters even though they show on the screen as a selection. Example, I want to name a playlist Rock & Roll. My R6 will accept all the characters except the &. It will not accept any other special characters, only letters and numbers. Normal for this function or a software problem? Thanks

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #5,719 of 6,622
This is for Joe Bloggs.

Joe, my R6 is running on the latest software, oreo 8.1 and 1.12. Today I was creating a new playlist. When I went to name it, my R6 would not accept any special characters even though they show on the screen as a selection. Example, I want to name a playlist Rock & Roll. My R6 will accept all the characters except the &. It will not accept any other special characters, only letters and numbers. Normal for this function or a software problem? Thanks

I believe this is par for the course for the program at the moment. :open_mouth:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 27, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #5,721 of 6,622
Updating from earlier this month when I said I was going to ship my r6 to be fixed,

Never ended up shipping because of cost as well, was about 59 Canadian to get it over to HK, so I got the new rear glass shipped to me for 15usd,

So I tried to remove the rest of my broken rear glass panel, and to my surprise there are two soldered wires on the rear glass, I’m not sure what it’s for but I’ll assume wifi/Bluetooth?

Anyway since there were no instructions with the part, I’m assuming I have to melt the existing solder and then remove the rest of the glass (held on by double sided tape). I just ordered some new 2mm double sided tape and will attempt the operation when it arrives. My questions is, do I need to apply new solder to the new glass or should whatever is left on the wires be enough to solder it back on?

Also did you already replace yours @BigAinCA ?

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #5,722 of 6,622
Joe,

I'm still trying to resolve the downloading issue out with TIDAL on their Masters tracks and they have come back with the following answer:

Our Developers have researched further and the Hiby R6 is not certified by MQA yet. They have spoken directly to MQA to verify this.

So, in this case, if the device does not properly support MQA, then the output from the TIDAL app will be 96 or 88.2 kHz to AudioTrack.

This means that the device downsamples the audio to 48 kHz

Any help would be appreciated as before TIDAL's recent update MQA was supported correctly on the Hiby R6, going forward this must be a problem on all Hiby R6's or R6 Pro's?

Thanks for trying to resolve this greenm, I tried working with tidal and they just gave me the brush off several times saying they dont support daps, even tho it's basically just android support.

Unfortunately their latest answer still seems like a lack of understanding. Not sure how they can say it's an issue with MQA certification when its able to stream at full bitrate, and it's only downloaded offline content that gets downsampled. I'm probably going to just roll back to the older tidal version that worked, but I'm dreading downloading all my music again as I'm at about 175gb of offline tracks. Regardless I'm keeping my fingers crossed they somehow fix it by accident.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #5,723 of 6,622
Thanks for trying to resolve this greenm, I tried working with tidal and they just gave me the brush off several times saying they dont support daps, even tho it's basically just android support.

Unfortunately their latest answer still seems like a lack of understanding. Not sure how they can say it's an issue with MQA certification when its able to stream at full bitrate, and it's only downloaded offline content that gets downsampled. I'm probably going to just roll back to the older tidal version that worked, but I'm dreading downloading all my music again as I'm at about 175gb of offline tracks. Regardless I'm keeping my fingers crossed they somehow fix it by accident.

I have now received a gross of replies from Tidal (not to sure on the collective for this) one of the latest being

"Hiby's customer support would need to have their Developers/Product Team to contact MQA so that their device can be certified through MQA"

In the end I got slightly impatient and asked "Do you think you will ever reinstall the decoding your end so I can actually receive downloads at the correct rate I pay my monthly subscription fees for?" Apparently they don't have an answer for me at present, but are getting back to me when they speak to the developers. Like you I am hoping they fix it by mistake :wink:

Wow 175GB is a lot of offline material, I can see you reluctance in using an older version!! I can confirm that the 11.3 version I downloaded from uptodown worked though if that makes a difference?! Next problem is I am not too sure how long this version will be compatible?!

My R6 has much better battery life when I am not streaming and internet coverage is a little patchy so I will probably keep on pestering them in the vein hope it has some impact.

All in all I like this DAP very much though, just waiting on my Legend X's to arrive from the US (its been a long wait) to get the best out of it. My HD650's although enjoyable don't quite get enough juice to power them as I would like and I am getting bored with the flat sound signature, still a nice one to keep thought if I get bored of the warmer sound of the LX

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #5,724 of 6,622
Joe,

I'm still trying to resolve the downloading issue out with TIDAL on their Masters tracks and they have come back with the following answer:

Our Developers have researched further and the Hiby R6 is not certified by MQA yet. They have spoken directly to MQA to verify this.

So, in this case, if the device does not properly support MQA, then the output from the TIDAL app will be 96 or 88.2 kHz to AudioTrack.

This means that the device downsamples the audio to 48 kHz

Any help would be appreciated as before TIDAL's recent update MQA was supported correctly on the Hiby R6, going forward this must be a problem on all Hiby R6's or R6 Pro's?

Any idea about Qobuz offline download?

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #5,725 of 6,622
Updating from earlier this month when I said I was going to ship my r6 to be fixed,

Never ended up shipping because of cost as well, was about 59 Canadian to get it over to HK, so I got the new rear glass shipped to me for 15usd,

So I tried to remove the rest of my broken rear glass panel, and to my surprise there are two soldered wires on the rear glass, I’m not sure what it’s for but I’ll assume wifi/Bluetooth?

Anyway since there were no instructions with the part, I’m assuming I have to melt the existing solder and then remove the rest of the glass (held on by double sided tape). I just ordered some new 2mm double sided tape and will attempt the operation when it arrives. My questions is, do I need to apply new solder to the new glass or should whatever is left on the wires be enough to solder it back on?

Also did you already replace yours @BigAinCA ?
You don't have to solder it to the glass (it's only taped on right now). In fact you don't even have to tape it back on the new glass, you can just tape it on the foil and metal plating under the glass instead. Remember to clear the back of all debris from the old glass before sticking on the new glass back.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #5,726 of 6,622
You don't have to solder it to the glass (it's only taped on right now). In fact you don't even have to tape it back on the new glass, you can just tape it on the foil and metal plating under the glass instead. Remember to clear the back of all debris from the old glass before sticking on the new glass back.

Wow thank you Joe!!!! I’m gonna have this back in action sooner than later!

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #5,727 of 6,622
Wow thank you Joe!!!! I’m gonna have this back in action sooner than later!
They also advise that you want something stronger than double sided tape for adhering the new back glass (otherwise it's liable to come loose over time)... They recommend 3M, T7000 or B7000 (whatever that means)

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #5,730 of 6,622
Now that I've had my R6 for a week, I just wanted to post that I am truly loving this DAP. Prior to this, I was using -- and was quite happy with -- a Fiio X5III. But I find the R6 interface much more responsive and less complicated that my Fiio (no switching between "Pure music mode" and "Android mode" for example).

I'll leave the detailed analysis of the R6's audio quality to my betters and simply say that to my uneducated ears the R6 sounds great regardless of which IEMs or headphones I've paired with it. It seems to have no problems driving my Sennheiser HD650s.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. My only regret is that I couldn't swing the extra US$300 to go for the R6 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back