HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 5, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #5,161 of 6,622
Customer support once you paid for the product is a miricle in most parts in Asia.

I fully agree, but when your starting out hoping the world will buy your product you should at least cover the basic's.................

In the world of music many items are bought by word of mouth or a recommendation from a happy customer. In this case They have failed and many reading this and other forums will think long and hard before buying a HiBy product.............

I email them direct about this problem many times over the past few days and they HAVE NOT BOTHERED to reply, acknowledge my emails or better still post on their own facebook page offering to help/sort their customers. Very poor.

Qnapper

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #5,162 of 6,622
I fully agree, but when your starting out hoping the world will buy your product you should at least cover the basic's.................

In the world of music many items are bought by word of mouth or a recommendation from a happy customer. In this case They have failed and many reading this and other forums will think long and hard before buying a HiBy product.............

I email them direct about this problem many times over the past few days and they HAVE NOT BOTHERED to reply, acknowledge my emails or better still post on their own facebook page offering to help/sort their customers. Very poor.

Qnapper
It's heartening when forum members find workarounds to this R6 update issue. By whatever means-through their own creativity, perseverance, help from fellow members, etc. Like others have mentioned, HiBy seems to be strangely silent on the support. Very poor customer relations for a costly product. I too have emailed and messaged them directly several times over the past week and have received no reply. I would hope that the company steps in NOW with solutions for the many that still can not update their DAPs to Android 8.1. You dropped the ball, but its not too late to salvage opinions and consumer relations.
(As a side note: the update to Oreo on my iBasso DX150 involved three clear, concise, easy to understand steps and took ten minutes! That's the way to do it, HiBy.)

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #5,163 of 6,622
I have to say that since the update WIFI and bluetooth have had a mind of there own, even when I'm at my desk with the router 4 feet away.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #5,164 of 6,622
It's heartening when forum members find workarounds to this R6 update issue. By whatever means-through their own creativity, perseverance, help from fellow members, etc. Like others have mentioned, HiBy seems to be strangely silent on the support. Very poor customer relations for a costly product. I too have emailed and messaged them directly several times over the past week and have received no reply. I would hope that the company steps in NOW with solutions for the many that still can not update their DAPs to Android 8.1. You dropped the ball, but its not too late to salvage opinions and consumer relations.
(As a side note: the update to Oreo on my iBasso DX150 involved three clear, concise, easy to understand steps and took ten minutes! That's the way to do it, HiBy.)

They probably have all the focus on the r3 and upcoming r6pro. Also with chinese new year coming soon don't expect a reply any time soon.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #5,165 of 6,622
They probably have all the focus on the r3 and upcoming r6pro. Also with chinese new year coming soon don't expect a reply any time soon.
So hows the service in the other 11 months ?

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #5,166 of 6,622
Maybe we should hold an election and vote Mr. Joe Bloggs back - he was always extremely responsive, helpful, and genuinely interested in HiBy's customers. Heck, we see more from him now than any of the HiBy reps that are supposed to be supporting and he hasn't worked for them for many months...

The history books are full of examples of highly successful companies built on relentless focus on customers - and countless examples of failures of those that ignore their customers as well.

Just saying...

Cheers,
Tim

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #5,167 of 6,622
The driver above is the same as the one the chap who sorted mine used.

Now here is my findings since up date:

Boot time: about the same
WiFi: a little better I think, but signal strength is maybe 1 bar better
Bluetooth: Much better to playing to speakers less cutting out than before
Turn wifi off: and bluetooth has no problems at all......... this was the same for old firmware.
HiBy music app: no differance in play back through thier own IEM (I bought them as well)
Neutron music app: This is in my opinion is so much better than HiBy app, so much so that I'm now using it all the time.

Was it worth all the pain of upgrading? - I think not.
Would I get ride of my R6? - NOT NOW Since installing Neutron app. As a portable music player it does the job. As a player for my home setup it does the job. There their better units out there? without doubt, but for a lot more money.
Is there customer support? NO - FORGET THAT ONE......... once you have paid your money your on your own.

Without members on this forum you may as well hope you never need help. Personally I thank one and all on this forum for commenst and help.

Have HiBy shot themsleves in the foot?
................ without doubt: The firmware upgrade was a rush job - untested - not fit for purpose - poor instructions as many owners are from differant countries and languages.

Finally would I buy the new R6 Pro?.......................... NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

Qnapper

I’d have to agree that the Neutron player is better than the stock Hiby Player app. My favorite of all the 3rd party players is Black Player EX. There are a TON of customizations and settings if you’re into that kind of thing. Check it out if you haven’t already!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kodarkooperativet.blackplayerex&hl=en_US

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #5,168 of 6,622
Maybe we should hold an election and vote Mr. Joe Bloggs back - he was always extremely responsive, helpful, and genuinely interested in HiBy's customers. Heck, we see more from him now than any of the HiBy reps that are supposed to be supporting and he hasn't worked for them for many months...

The history books are full of examples of highly successful companies built on relentless focus on customers - and countless examples of failures of those that ignore their customers as well.

Just saying...

Cheers,
Tim

Couldn’t agree more. So, in this thread people are struggling with a big upgrade with zero support from Hiby and emails not even being answered. On the Radsone EarStudio ES100 thread, their app keeps on being developed based on feedback from that thread’s posters, and on the Astell&Kern threads, Jason from A&K actively responds to posters.

There’s a lesson for Hiby in this.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #5,169 of 6,622
Couldn’t agree more. So, in this thread people are struggling with a big upgrade with zero support from Hiby and emails not even being answered. On the Radsone EarStudio ES100 thread, their app keeps on being developed based on feedback from that thread’s posters, and on the Astell&Kern threads, Jason from A&K actively responds to posters.

There’s a lesson for Hiby in this.
To be fair Hiby answered me and helped me out via their facebook messenger. I suppose they have a lot of emails and messages to get through with regards to this situation. I am not saying this is all good though as the upgrade was a bit of a mess up from the get go IMHO so lessons still need to be learnt

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #5,170 of 6,622
I'm also not happy with the Hiby customer support, ordered and received a 2nd Hiby R3 last year 15.12.2018. This R3 was for a chistmas gift. When I charged them the first time I remarked that the R3 was very...very hot while charging. So I'm still waiting for help, an exchange.... before I had the idea for ordering an R6 pro... right now i'm not sure :frowning2:

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #5,171 of 6,622

Qnapper

They may have some rough edges but for me personally the whole industry has failed by continuing to use the same tired old cpus. Being a hardware enthusiast as well, it bugs me when companies have left the same tired slow cpus in audio players.
I get its an audio community, but it doesn't mean you skip on a $3 upgrade to the cpubor whatever small amount it costs, just to make an extra $3 at the expense of a well functioning device. Lots of $1000+ players still skimp on the cpu.
For me again, as a hardware person for desktop and mobile products, it feels quite horrible, so hiby for me is the best option to have come out to date considering it uses updated Android and actual decent snapdragon processor.
If you don't need fast functioning Android you have tons of choices. If you need that though you currently only have one, which is quite disappointing for this industry for me.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #5,172 of 6,622
They may have some rough edges but for me personally the whole industry has failed by continuing to use the same tired old cpus. Being a hardware enthusiast as well, it bugs me when companies have left the same tired slow cpus in audio players.
I get its an audio community, but it doesn't mean you skip on a $3 upgrade to the cpubor whatever small amount it costs, just to make an extra $3 at the expense of a well functioning device. Lots of $1000+ players still skimp on the cpu.
For me again, as a hardware person for desktop and mobile products, it feels quite horrible, so hiby for me is the best option to have come out to date considering it uses updated Android and actual decent snapdragon processor.
If you don't need fast functioning Android you have tons of choices. If you need that though you currently only have one, which is quite disappointing for this industry for me.

The issue is that its not a simple couple of dollars to upgrade. All flagship SoCs have high minimum order quantities that is far in excess of anything a single DAP maker could sell. Until recently Qualcomm wouldn’t fulfill any small orders on any SoC. It’s fortunate that Samsung started to offer its low powered Exynos range is small quantities and Qualcomm have followed suit with the 4xx series. You’d likely find adding a flagship SoC to these DAPs would add 30-50% to the consumer price.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #5,173 of 6,622
The issue is that its not a simple couple of dollars to upgrade. All flagship SoCs have high minimum order quantities that is far in excess of anything a single DAP maker could sell. Until recently Qualcomm wouldn’t fulfill any small orders on any SoC. It’s fortunate that Samsung started to offer its low powered Exynos range is small quantities and Qualcomm have followed suit with the 4xx series. You’d likely find adding a flagship SoC to these DAPs would add 30-50% to the consumer price.
There's just no basis in the real world for this and a lot of phones have high end cpus that are a tiny premium over the midrange.
Even crazier, you don't think Sony has access to snapdragon cpus? They choose not to use it because of customers don't demand it, why not use a slow rockchip cpu and make more money for the owners.
The only reason someone can add 30-50% to the price is because 95%of consumers have no clue about business and just randomly. They make up these numbers and act like they're experts despite never studying business, never breaking down a companies financials, never even downloading the public filings of any companies.

You can get an idea how much it costs to fabricate a chip and how much they sell for by downloading the financials of any large comparable chip maker tetc.

If a phone costs x, a companies margin is y, you can figure out how much a lot of other components cost until you get down and factor out whah the cpu is estimated to cost. Then add margin back in to figure out roughly how much it costs to buy in bulk...

Or you can literally go on google and just use someone else's guess.

https://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-x-teardown-parts-cost-ihs-markit-2017-11

Estimates the cpu to cost ~27. Add some margin and what at most it's 75 to the end company buying in hulk in a terrible world.
How you make up a 30-50% increase with no justification for it ....

Anyway end rant. Not like we're going to persuade each other and the hiby answered my issue while being able to sell at a $455 price tag and make a profit, so I know it's possible, whether you choose to believe it or not doesn't really change my life.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #5,174 of 6,622
Oh, boy... you're having fun here, guys :) Hello from another Chinese DAP's camp. I was considering to HiBy as an alternative to N5MK2, but listening all that I'd consider also something else, because both companies seems don't care much about customers support and their happiness with their products. Bad bluetooth here — bad wifi there, bad UI and almost no upgrade here — bad upgrades there, etc. And both r not very cheap. Hm.. what should I go for then? A&K, Sony...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #5,175 of 6,622
There's just no basis in the real world for this and a lot of phones have high end cpus that are a tiny premium over the midrange.
Even crazier, you don't think Sony has access to snapdragon cpus? They choose not to use it because of customers don't demand it, why not use a slow rockchip cpu and make more money for the owners.
The only reason someone can add 30-50% to the price is because 95%of consumers have no clue about business and just randomly. They make up these numbers and act like they're experts despite never studying business, never breaking down a companies financials, never even downloading the public filings of any companies.

You can get an idea how much it costs to fabricate a chip and how much they sell for by downloading the financials of any large comparable chip maker tetc.

If a phone costs x, a companies margin is y, you can figure out how much a lot of other components cost until you get down and factor out whah the cpu is estimated to cost. Then add margin back in to figure out roughly how much it costs to buy in bulk...

Or you can literally go on google and just use someone else's guess.

https://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-x-teardown-parts-cost-ihs-markit-2017-11

Estimates the cpu to cost ~27. Add some margin and what at most it's 75 to the end company buying in hulk in a terrible world.
How you make up a 30-50% increase with no justification for it ....

Anyway end rant. Not like we're going to persuade each other and the hiby answered my issue while being able to sell at a $455 price tag and make a profit, so I know it's possible, whether you choose to believe it or not doesn't really change my life.

You clearly didn’t read my post. The increase in cost per unit for a high end SoC is negligible but you have to buy it in high numbers (tens of thousands or more) to even gain access to these chips. Given how few DAPs are sold compared to a smartphone it makes meeting these high MOQ a challenge. Add to this that you don’t actually have any use cases that would require a more powerful CPU in a DAP and I don’t see any value in your argument at all. The HiBy isn’t hindered at all by its SoC and neither are any of the newer DAPs from others who have pivoted away from the likes of Rockchip.

You’re absolutely right that there’s an issue but you need to look in the direction of companies like Qualcomm if you need someone to blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back