HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,757 of 6,628
Any opinions about the Hiby R6 (Pro) vs the Astell&Kern SR15? I was about to hold out for the Hiby R6 Pro but see the SR15 is about to go on sale on the Astell&Kern site for a total of 20% off if you subscribe to their newsletter for Black Friday. That's a reduction from $699 to $569 which puts it directly up against the R6 (don't know how much more they'll charge for the Pro). Didn't know if one is considered superior to the other. I've also been trying to compare the DACs of both but it's difficult to find information that suggests one may be clearly better than the other. I would buy the SE100 in a heartbeat because of the amazing DACs but the 20% off sales price of $1359 is just a tad beyond my means. : )

Advice welcomed.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #4,758 of 6,628
@superuser1 and @cirodts,
Yes I understand that. Just thinking what is the advantage of Android over other interfaces. I think I understand the flexibility to download apps and customise stuff. Apart from all that?
Mainly that, but there are some other positives, it's cheaper and easier to implement than something custom. It's also widely used so has little leaning curve for most people.

I can't think of any AUDIO related reasons why it's better though. Mainly you see it being used to get the digital content and streaming.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #4,760 of 6,628
Hey Hiby,

How about a trade-in and upgrade discount for the R6 Pro for your registered R6 Indiegogo backers? :ksc75smile:
Hey...had to at least try...:ksc75smile:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

+1. They can then re-sell our trade-ins as used/b-stock. It's a Win-win. My R6 is pretty much just in the office and has always been in the leather case. It's mint. It can probably pass as brand new.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #4,761 of 6,628
+1. They can then re-sell our trade-ins as used/b-stock. It's a Win-win. My R6 is pretty much just in the office and has always been in the leather case. It's mint. It can probably pass as brand new.
My advice, if you are really wanting to “switch”, is to sell your R6 now, while you can find someone who wants it at a half decent price. Once the Pro is widely available I’d guess you won’t find it so easy. As of now there is still demand...speaking from personal experience.

For what it’s worth I still think the R6 is a stunning player.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #4,762 of 6,628
My advice, if you are really wanting to “switch”, is to sell your R6 now, while you can find someone who wants it at a half decent price. Once the Pro is widely available I’d guess you won’t find it so easy. As of now there is still demand...speaking from personal experience.

I have no reason to sell it. I really enjoy it and don't plan on selling it. I don't even have any desire to upgrade when the pro comes out. However, if the opportunity was there to trade up through Hiby directly, I don't think I'd hesitate if the exchange value was reasonable.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #4,763 of 6,628
I imagine there's no chance in hell of getting a R6 Pro with some kind of BF deal since it's not out yet >:-]]

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #4,764 of 6,628
I have no reason to sell it. I really enjoy it and don't plan on selling it. I don't even have any desire to upgrade when the pro comes out. However, if the opportunity was there to trade up through Hiby directly, I don't think I'd hesitate if the exchange value was reasonable.

I use the R6 strictly as a transport and don't see any reason to climb up to the Pro, with the exception of the Gorilla glass.

I do agree with others: there's no room in the marketplace for the two editions, given the narrow price difference. In likelihood, the R6 will be squeezed out.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #4,765 of 6,628
And nor should you need to even think about it - this is completely Hiby’s mess in “managing” its product cycle whereby the Pro comes out less than a year after Indiegogo backers received their R6. The OI issue/non issue was flagged many months prior to release, so it’s not like there wasn’t ample time to fix that prior to release. Absent that issue, the specs and SQ would have not needed an update for 2-3years.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #4,766 of 6,628
Did someone say R9?? :astonished::alien::grin:

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #4,768 of 6,628
Mainly that, but there are some other positives, it's cheaper and easier to implement than something custom. It's also widely used so has little leaning curve for most people.

I can't think of any AUDIO related reasons why it's better though. Mainly you see it being used to get the digital content and streaming.
I agree. Thanks.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #4,769 of 6,628

Agreed. However the R6 is already on BF sale for 30% off in a number of colors with the exception of the stainless steel. It appears that the window to get a good price on any unit except perhaps the SS version is closing.

I was tempted to buy, but am going to wait for the Pro version. The impedance of the R6 makes my Noble Encores sound a little off. Yes, I can address with the in match, but why buy an older unit when I can get a newer version at roughly the same price (I want the SS version).

The ability to stream and run other Android apps is huge for me. For example one of my other daps is the QP2R. It sounds fantastic and even though I have a large number of Flac files saved to SD I would trade a bit of the performance for the ability to stream from Tidal. Quite frankly any hit to performance is likely not immediately audible in all but the most critical listening anyway and in the case of the R6 the high output impedance likely has more of a negative impact on the quality of sound. A minor hit on quality is a small price to pay for the ability to discover new artists or listen to new albums from favorite artists at work or around the home.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #4,770 of 6,628
@fanoble How about some teasers of the R6 Pro? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back